Shaun Edwards & Wigan (Merged Threads)

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I was just thinking of the Barba situation... the RFL upheld that ban.   How long is Flanagan suspended for? 

"Flanagan was de-registered as a coach in the NRL indefinitely for failing to adhere to the conditions of his suspension in 2014"

He could probably sign with a Super League Club.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-announces-shane-flanagan-action-on-wednesday/news-story/156a8d89863aabc8d7112d6575772bb5

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

13 hours ago, Oxford said:

Oh come on!

The saga is the fun!

The funny thing is how amateur this makes Wigan look. One of the biggest names in the game and they've been played. But I think it's dragged along far too long. But that's just my view.

As a matter of interest, how do most Wigan fans feel about this?   I suppose it’s just business at the end of the day but I know a lot of Wigan fans hold him in high esteem as a legend.   Does this change anything? 

For me it definitely tarnishes Edwards rep. You can't argue with what he achieved as a player or his abilities, but personally i don't think he can ever realistically expect to gain employment at Wigan RL as a coach.

Unless he comes out and explains the situation thoroughly which in some way exonerates him.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

What an absolute crock of . Talk about trying to stage manage bad news!

"...the reason being my lack of preparation..."
BS. Absolute BS. He is trying to make out he is doing the honourable thing. 

And then this:

"The Wigan deal I recently received is very favourable to all other offers I have had so far. For me, this is not about money..."
Again, trying to make himself look honourable, as well as giving a nice bit of spin to protect Lenegan here against criticism from the Wigan fans, but suggesting that the offer was great. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

What an absolute crock of . Talk about trying to stage manage bad news!

"...the reason being my lack of preparation..."
BS. Absolute BS. He is trying to make out he is doing the honourable thing. 

And then this:

"The Wigan deal I recently received is very favourable to all other offers I have had so far. For me, this is not about money..."
Again, trying to make himself look honourable, as well as giving a nice bit of spin to protect Lenegan here against criticism from the Wigan fans, but suggesting that the offer was great. 

Yeah it's all nonsense and obviously one long story concocted by the two parties in a lame attempt for both to save face.

5 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

The funny thing is how amateur this makes Wigan look

I'm not altogether sure about this I think he's the one that will be painted in this way, at least on this side of the divide.

On that side erm........he'll fit right in!

That should banish him to the cross code nonsense and good riddance. Mind you, afterwards exiling that to it's own website would make life perfect.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

The cynic in me too thinks the press release and comment from Edwards is all about saving face. I think only the most one-eyed Wigan fan would accept this as a valid reason and not now look upon Edwards in an unfavourable light.

Still. Time for Wigan to get a move on with 2020 in mind.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I must say from the outside this looks very strange . You can pinpoint lenaghan for not getting it nailed down , but why would Edwards agree to it in the first place if he had doubts and is going on about where his family lives etc . I guess he knew that when he shook on it ? All in all doesn’t reflect well on either side 

I didn't follow closely the whole thing but one thing still baffles me. Why are all so sure that the "lack of praparation" explanation is just an excuse ? If his last job in rugby league was in 2000 it means he's been committed in another game for almost 20 years. Why is it so unlikely that he just felt not ready ? 

Okay, coaches and players of all sports play potential employers off against each other all the time, but he's let himself and the club down, and he's come out of it looking pretty shabby.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

I'm not altogether sure about this I think he's the one that will be painted in this way, at least on this side of the divide.

On that side erm........he'll fit right in!

That should banish him to the cross code nonsense and good riddance. Mind you, afterwards exiling that to it's own website would make life perfect.

The whole thing is a sorry affair. I wonder why Wigan didn't get him to sign a contract in the first place. You shouldn't do the presentation of someone if it's not guaranteed he/she will represent the club at a said date. It stupid and it makes both parties look daft.

12 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

As a matter of interest, how do most Wigan fans feel about this?   I suppose it’s just business at the end of the day but I know a lot of Wigan fans hold him in high esteem as a legend.   Does this change anything? 

Personally disappointed, grew up watching Edwards, held him in the highest esteem, but I guess the cold reality is as fans we see them as heroes, but end of the day to them its just a job.

Glad he's not come if his heart wasn't in it, wouldn't want him back in the future either now he's let this play out the way it has, of course questions need asking of the club.  Be interesting to see who they get.

Personally would like to see Sean O'Loughlin stay on in some role, big ask to jump into the head coaches role, but perhaps him and an old hand would be a good shout.  Can't imagine Sean's got much to learn, played under a hat full of quality coaches and is a born leader, I'd imagine it'd take someone like him to re-ignite the enthusiasm of the Wigan faithful on the back of the Edwards news.

15 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

It stupid and it makes both parties look daft.

Total belief in the past and its nostalgic content will seduce you everytime, ask Parky.

2 hours ago, bobrock said:

I didn't follow closely the whole thing but one thing still baffles me. Why are all so sure that the "lack of praparation" explanation is just an excuse ? If his last job in rugby league was in 2000 it means he's been committed in another game for almost 20 years. Why is it so unlikely that he just felt not ready ? 

I agree. The whole situation is pretty farcical, but whether Edwards is being genuine or not, the stuff about lack of preparation is perfectly valid. The game has changed a lot since he went to RU.

8 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

i don't think he can ever realistically expect to gain employment at Wigan RL as a coach.

Unlikely  to be anywhere else in RL after this, but I'm not convinced he ever wanted to.

44 minutes ago, MZH said:

I agree. The whole situation is pretty farcical, but whether Edwards is being genuine or not, the stuff about lack of preparation is perfectly valid. The game has changed a lot since he went to RU.

Good, if a little reserved, opinion piece in the Wigan Evening Post.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/shaun-edwards-saga-is-over-but-what-next-for-wigan-warriors-opinion-1-9712499

Seems SE didn't think his absence was an issue recently.

For this Wigan fan, I've lost all regard for a childhood hero and the club has stank the town out. It really will be the Long Good Friday.

10 minutes ago, Superb Chops said:

Good, if a little reserved, opinion piece in the Wigan Evening Post.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/shaun-edwards-saga-is-over-but-what-next-for-wigan-warriors-opinion-1-9712499

Seems SE didn't think his absence was an issue recently.

For this Wigan fan, I've lost all regard for a childhood hero and the club has stank the town out. It really will be the Long Good Friday.

I don't think they are being genuine saying about him not being ready. I think Wigan have made an ###### of it by failing to get it all sorted quickly. Then he has got a better offer and managed to worm his way out of it. The recent statements are just trying to save face.

However, what I was trying to say is, face saving exercise or not, the excuse could very well be based on truth. He has been away for a long time, it could have easily ended in tears, and this might turn out to be a blessing for Wigan if they can now go and get the right man.

5 hours ago, bobrock said:

It’s a question of emphasis. This may be partly true, but the overwhelming likelihood he’s using it to disguise more influential reasons.  He attended a press conference stating he was going to join and would have known then how long he’d have to prep for the 2020 SL season.

5 hours ago, bobrock said:

Because that doesn't match up with the rest of the story and events, which have been odd.

Archived