Is this the start of youth Grassroots in Canada

The big news is that published today we have the inaugural BC High School Challenge Cup. Robert McMath Secondary will take on Point Grey Secondary in the first high school rugby league game in Canada! Sponsored by the Toronto wolfpack, slightly over shadowed today. 

Also the Georgina Griffins RLFC (http://www.georginagriffinsrlfc.ca/) have been around for a few months, and even invited to play during the interval at the Americas 9s. since then the Haldimand Wolfpack RLFC  (http://www.haldimandwolfpack.com) have started. The Iroquois Roots Rugby have started to produce players for the Canadian 9s and the Women team, they seem to have a relationship with the CRL and are even advertising tryouts via the CRL facebook page.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, North but south said:

The big news is that published today we have the inaugural BC High School Challenge Cup. Robert McMath Secondary will take on Point Grey Secondary in the first high school rugby league game in Canada! Sponsored by the Toronto wolfpack, slightly over shadowed today. 

Also the Georgina Griffins RLFC (http://www.georginagriffinsrlfc.ca/) have been around for a few months, and even invited to play during the interval at the Americas 9s. since then the Haldimand Wolfpack RLFC  (http://www.haldimandwolfpack.com) have started. The Iroquois Roots Rugby have started to produce players for the Canadian 9s and the Women team, they seem to have a relationship with the CRL and are even advertising tryouts via the CRL facebook page.

What's interesting about the new clubs in Georgina and Haldimand is their distance from Toronto. I'm sure Canadian posters will confirm more accurate distances, but on the map they look to be about 40 and 60 miles distant respectively. It's good to see, and it may be that a critical mass of clubs in the Toronto region could result in rapid development. 

On the school's development,  I have the impression that BC has traditionally been where the RL action is in Canada, well before TWP. However, I haven't heard much in recent times.

38 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

What's interesting about the new clubs in Georgina and Haldimand is their distance from Toronto. I'm sure Canadian posters will confirm more accurate distances, but on the map they look to be about 40 and 60 miles distant respectively. It's good to see, and it may be that a critical mass of clubs in the Toronto region could result in rapid development. 

On the school's development,  I have the impression that BC has traditionally been where the RL action is in Canada, well before TWP. However, I haven't heard much in recent times.

You're very close with those distances, from Google maps I'd put Georgina about 80-90 km (this Canadian doesn't do primitive measurements ;)) from downtown Toronto — nearby Barrie is exactly 100 km north of Toronto.  Re Haldimand, I suppose that depends on where in Haldimand County one is speaking of; nearby Brantford is exactly 100 km west of Toronto but further west, so anywhere in Haldimand would be about the same as that.

12 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

You're very close with those distances, from Google maps I'd put Georgina about 80-90 km (this Canadian doesn't do primitive measurements ;)) from downtown Toronto — nearby Barrie is exactly 100 km north of Toronto.  Re Haldimand, I suppose that depends on where in Haldimand County one is speaking of; nearby Brantford is exactly 100 km west of Toronto but further west, so anywhere in Haldimand would be about the same as that.

Thanks for that.

(I tried my best in avoiding chains and furlongs, but I suppose I should use miles and kilometres for the benefit of the international readership)

26 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I honestly think people underestimate what a impact the Wolfpack are having

This is real. There are kids playing high school games in canads dreaming of playing for a Toronto side in super league. 

How absolutely wonderful

Proponents of "grassroots", "bottom-up" development take note: None of that would exist without a pro RL team in Toronto.

Is this the start of youth Grassroots in Canada?

Well it would appear so. Unless anyone tells us that other youth grassroots activity already taking place in Canada. In which case, this is not the start of your grassroots in Canada.

8 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

Thanks for that.

(I tried my best in avoiding chains and furlongs, but I suppose I should use miles and kilometres for the benefit of the international readership)

That’s not any good to any Americans (Usonians) who may be reading.

rldfsignature.jpg

10 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

Distance is perceived differently in countries like Canada and Australia.

In Canberra, my friend’s daughter had to do a 160 mile round trip recently for a junior (I think it was U6s) match.

A 125 mile plus round trip to Goulburn from Canberra is also a staple in many junior sports in Canberra.

It’s great that junior development is starting in Canada!

7 minutes ago, Copa said:

In Canberra, my friend’s daughter had to do a 160 mile round trip recently for a junior (I think it was U6s) match.

A 125 mile plus round trip to Goulburn from Canberra is also a staple in many junior sports in Canberra.

As it is in the Scottish Highlands.

Some years ago, the governing body for shinty decided that the Sir William Sutherland Cup - the knock-out competition for smaller adult clubs and the reserve teams of bigger clubs - should change its format from being regionally structured until the final, and move to being nationally structured at an earlier round.

Sod's Law - almost straight away, the team from the Isle of Bute drew an away fixture at Aberdeen University!  This involved a round trip of over three hundred miles with a ferry journey in each direction thrown in for good measure.  Needless to say, the fixture was successfully fulfilled!

1 hour ago, Copa said:

The low level comp I play in has one 400km and two 300km round trips involved for us.

new rise.jpg

It's alright for you lot but I bet not one of you has spared a thought for poor Parky and the loss of one his pet betes noires.

I know I used a French term there the EU made me do it!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 minutes ago, Oxford said:

It's alright for you lot but I bet not one of you has spared a thought for poor Parky and the loss of one his pet betes noires.

I know I used a French term there the EU made me do it!

He's en route to Canada right now to perform an inspection. He'll be back shortly with a 1000 word essay on why it's all a load of chuff, and how it doesn't matter how many schools it's in when there are STILL NO GRIDIRON CONVERSIONS

18 hours ago, Moove said:

He's en route to Canada right now to perform an inspection. He'll be back shortly with a 1000 word essay on why it's all a load of chuff, and how it doesn't matter how many schools it's in when there are STILL NO GRIDIRON CONVERSIONS

Hopefully he will stay on to watch the WP's next home game and enjoy the game day atmosphere at Lamport. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

14 hours ago, Damien said:

I hope Argyle resigning isn't the end of youth grassroots in Canada .

It's what crossed my mind as well. However, it should continue provided the WP continue. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Forgive me if I am wrong but in North America and Australia distance doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue to them, the countries are vast places and an hours drive is nothing to them, 

glad to see there is something starting though 

7 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Forgive me if I am wrong but in North America and Australia distance doesn’t seem to be as much of an issue to them, the countries are vast places and an hours drive is nothing to them, 

glad to see there is something starting though 

I think that’s spot on.  The travelling for youth games in France (which some posters do on here) is comparable but it’s still a tough ask.  

Those distances in the UK are more difficult due to the infrastructure/traffic.

It’ll be a great thing to see if it develops in Canada.  Like the French, let’s leave them to it.  

Come on Canada, welcome to the clan. Good luck in all your endeavours.

On 08/06/2019 at 07:41, Manxmanc said:
On 08/06/2019 at 07:30, deluded pom? said:

That’s not any good to any Americans (Usonians) who may be reading.

Are they still on furlongs?

When I was in the Appalachians a few years back, the farms selling apples were still using bushels and pecks.

14 minutes ago, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

When I was in the Appalachians a few years back, the farms selling apples were still using bushels and pecks.

That sounds great - I've never ordered anything using those quantities.

Presumably for smaller dry measure quantities, pints, quarts and gallons would also be possible.

1 hour ago, Manxmanc said:

the farms selling apples were still using bushels and pecks.

Great so when we have a trade deal they can cheat us left right and center cos no one'll have a clue over here the colonies and the empire strike back.

"glad to see there is something starting though  ..."

Where are all the naysayers wishing them well? Just a thought.

They've banged on and on and on and on about no development and when there is some you can't se their anuses for the flakes and fragments!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived