1 Aug: SL: Hull FC v Wigan Warriors KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/08/19 at 18:45

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lam has coached us in 8 difficult games, 3 against Saints, 3 against Wire, 1 against the Roosters, and 1 against FC. We have lost every one of them. We play FC a few days after the harrowing semi defeat, and Wire the week before Wembley. If he can't win those games... 

4 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Lam has coached us in 8 difficult games, 3 against Saints, 3 against Wire, 1 against the Roosters, and 1 against FC. We have lost every one of them. We play FC a few days after the harrowing semi defeat, and Wire the week before Wembley. If he can't win those games... 

Harrowing is putting it a bit strongly mate. A little disappointing of course, but we gave it a good shot. Having now broken the Wembley duck I'm sure I'm not the only Hull fan that is much more interested in making a Grand Final this year.

That said, we put in a big effort on Saturday, and we have not had a lot of time to pick ourselves up. I wouldn't write us off, but your boys have to be favourites.

Wigan by 10

19 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Genuine question, does any of that matter that much? 

I say that because Justin Holbrook has, largely, coached Saints to key victories in games against the likes of Wigan, Warrington, Cas, Hull etc but when it’s come to the crunch, we’ve lost semi’s to Cas, Warrington and Catalans under his tenure and managed to beat Halifax, a lower league team, in the other. 

People are likely to view Holbrook’s tenure as a failure, rightly or wrongly, if he goes back to Australia having won nothing other than a couple of hubcaps. 

My point is, given the way in which Super League is structured, is it not more important to win the big games when they actually matter (e.g Semi’s/Finals) than games that ultimately don’t matter as much, like regular league games? 

I think Wigan under Wane were pretty good at winning when it mattered. I think for a good few years under Wane when you won trophies, you weren’t the best side in the competition(s) but more, the most effective. 

I was searching for a word to convey the ferocious nature of the game, and the attendant disappointment that would flow from defeat, and thought “harrowing” wasn’t too bad a choice. Anyway, they had a hard game, will be down after losing and have only had a few days to recover, the overall result of which should make Wigan’s task easier than otherwise. 

As for Lam’s record, he has been given a new contract without having won any difficult game, and so in that context a failure to win the 2 winnable difficult games over the next 3 weeks does not bode well. He may of course lose both, and redeem himself in the play offs, and will remain in situ regardless. He is yet to convince this Wigan watcher that he can cut it. I can’t speak for Saints’ fans, but I think Holbrook’s tenure must have been very enjoyable so far. I do, though, consider the LLS to be a major trophy. 

1 hour ago, Wirral Warrior said:

As stated earlier, pivotal game for Wigan. Need to knock off a top 3 team soon as we near the playoff's. To win at Hull would be a good marker in Wigan's season. Will need the pack to step up though

In general terms Saints Warrington and Hull have the best players. And generally Wigan have had the worst of the injuries.  So it's no surprise to see Wigan in 4th.  

Wire just about raised their game in the Semi against Hull and are fair for the cup final.  Both look beatable by Wigan but for all of that Wigan should still be happy if they make 4th. In fact based on this season's form there is not much between 2 and 6. So generally I do not criticise Wigan for the current season, any more than the others above, they've all had problems.

Looking at the efforts Hull put in last Saturday, the 5 day turnaround, and Wigan having last weekend off, I would say that must be worth at least 12 points to the away team.

I think we'll give it a go but will run out of stamina and suffer a sizeable loss.

Hull 14 Pies 32.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

3 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Looking at the efforts Hull put in last Saturday, the 5 day turnaround, and Wigan having last weekend off, I would say that must be worth at least 12 points to the away team.

I think we'll give it a go but will run out of stamina and suffer a sizeable loss.

Hull 14 Pies 32.

I think a lot will depend on the start we make. If we can get a couple of scores up early and give ourselves something to fight for then we might just be able to see it out. If we are behind at half time it could end up a bit one sided later on.

1 hour ago, Hullfan said:

Wigan by 50+ all the Hull players had Sunday & Monday off majority of them was out on the ###### in Hull town both days 

I don't honestly have any issue with that. So long as they turn up with the right attitude on game day. I guess we will know in a couple of hours time.

Two "Radders" here tonight...

20190801_194555.jpg

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I think Bill is getting £50 for every mention of Morgan Smithies.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The tanning salons around Wigan are doing well.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Phil Clarke is an odd chap, isn't he?

Archived