24 Aug: AB Sundecks 1895 Cup Final: Sheffield Eagles v Widnes Vikings KO 5.30pm (OurLeague App)

Who will win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Sheffield Eagles by 13 points or more
    • Sheffield Eagles by 7 to 12 points
    • Sheffield Eagles by 1 to 6 points
    • Widnes Vikings by 1 to 6 points
    • Widnes Vikings by 7 to 12 points
    • Widnes Vikings by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/19 at 16:00

22 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

I don't think anything that Eagles do will create the slightest impression in Sheffield, it's a football city especially with a club in the premiership that's all that matters, upto a few years ago sports like speedway, stock cars and greyhound racing used to pull in crowds that the Eagles could only dream of throughout their exsistance yet they have fallen off a cliff in the face of footballs all encompassing onslaught, it's the archetypal flogging a dead horse I'm afraid ?

agree and their ground is a joke. St Pats have a better ground

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Trojan said:

agree and their ground is a joke. St Pats have a better ground

Still better than, and same fan base as, a whole raft of heratland teams around for a lot longer.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Well done Sheffield. Played a perfect final, 100% at Wembley, anybody else managed that?

As for Widnes, well team selections got the better of us, Top try scorer dropped, Gilmore favoured over Lyons and no hooker on the bench. All resulted in players panicking and making mistakes. Disappointing to see. Gelling our star man just wasn’t up to it

just hope we win next week to secure survival in championship 

Sheffield's record at Wembley is 100%. Sadly for them, it seems that the stadium needs to be rebuilt before each win... ? 

Seriously, well done to the Eagles. Two teams who I have a lot of time for, and who have had their struggles over the years. Good to see them get a Wembley weekend.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

50 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Still better than, and same fan base as, a whole raft of heratland teams around for a lot longer.

TBH if there's a worse ground than theirs I haven't seen it

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Just now, Trojan said:

TBH if there's a worse ground than theirs I haven't seen it

The ground isn't great, .but the team and the club deserves more credit than it gets on here.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

What time have we got Wembley booked until?

The late start and the injury to Johnstone (hope he's OK, he's been Widnes's best player this season IMO, think he'll be a real asset to Hull FC next season) meant that the thousands of RL fans walking back to the tube were going in the opposite direction as hundreds of scantily clad young ladies going to the One Africa music festival at Wembley Arena. I reckon quite a few of the lads from Widnes were quite happy the 1895 cup was on after the main event.

Well done Sheffield Eagles.

Very enjoyable game.Played in the correct manner and well officiated.

I hope the injured player recovers and does well in his future with his Super League club.

Well done Mark Aston.Great to see former players still enamoured with him,and Sheffield Eagles.Also great to see the injured players, from the last time they were on the televised stage,able to support their teammates,and all the squad celebrate together. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

26 minutes ago, tim2 said:

The ground isn't great, .but the team and the club deserves more credit than it gets on here.

I'm afraid they won't get it from me, or many other Fev fans TBF

Clement Attlee.

23 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I'm afraid they won't get it from me, or many other Fev fans TBF

Not surprised by that. It's always a pleasure to visit Featherstone.

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Not surprised by that. It's always a pleasure to visit Featherstone.

Glad to hear it

Clement Attlee.

3 minutes ago, tim2 said:

There are other Champions Schools finals at different age groups that don't happen at Wembley.

They don't bring any supporters either so by the same logic applied to not having the women's game on the same day, it needs to go.

I think the 1895 Cup has proved its worth. Does need to be a curtain raiser rather than an aftershow party though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

They don't bring any supporters either so by the same logic applied to not having the women's game on the same day, it needs to go.

I think the 1895 Cup has proved its worth. Does need to be a curtain raiser rather than an aftershow party though.

Sorry Jon but it isn’t true when you say that the schools don’t bring supporters. They do - their families and extended families. Also it is a fantastic memory for those kids that will stay with them for the rest if their lives, and maybe they will become a wealthy benefactor or spread the RL word. 

The 1895 is so Mickey Mouse that Disney would be embarrassed. It didn’t even have two of the best championship clubs. We should just keep with tradition and have the schools match, abide with me and then the main game. The added problem with the 1895 cup at wembley is that some fans are not there for the main game which means you have patches of empty seats-e.g. the Saints end SW corner lower tier (Widnes seats), which only filled up in the last 10mins.

1 hour ago, Lobbygobbler said:

The 1895 is so Mickey Mouse that Disney would be embarrassed. It didn’t even have two of the best championship clubs. We should just keep with tradition and have the schools match, abide with me and then the main game. The added problem with the 1895 cup at wembley is that some fans are not there for the main game which means you have patches of empty seats-e.g. the Saints end SW corner lower tier (Widnes seats), which only filled up in the last 10mins.

The Challenge Cup Final doesn't always feature the top 2 in Super League.Should that be done away with?

Your side,and the club belonging to the main sponsor,lost to Widnes in the semi-final - so in a cup competition it is a one-off 80 minutes game that matters.( Or If golden point  is included )

Mickey Mouse & Disney attracted far more family viewing,and generated more money and more success around the world,than rugby league has managed to do.

I'm not one for multi-games on the same day at the same venue.It is what the clubs wanted,on the rare occasion that the RFL and clubs apparently decide on certain things together.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

9 hours ago, cookey said:

Enjoyable game,pleased for Sheffield,hope they can press on with their ground. All clubs need decent facilities for players,spectators,sponsors and media.

Their new ground is actually the home of Sheffield United Ladies and is being funded by grants from the FA, Womens sport via Government, Sheffield United & Sheffield Council. They have little or no financial imput into it (because they don't have any money) and are only there through Sheffield Council who needed them out of Don Valley to unlock European funding for the business and sports park hence foisting them onto the Women's stadium where they are as welcome as a fart in a diving suit?

7 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The Challenge Cup Final doesn't always feature the top 2 in Super League.Should that be done away with?

Your side,and the club belonging to the main sponsor,lost to Widnes in the semi-final - so in a cup competition it is a one-off 80 minutes game that matters.( Or If golden point  is included )

Mickey Mouse & Disney attracted far more family viewing,and generated more money and more success around the world,than rugby league has managed to do.

I'm not one for multi-games on the same day at the same venue.It is what the clubs wanted,on the rare occasion that the RFL and clubs apparently decide on certain things together.

The top two teams play in the challenge cup competition though. Toronto and TO did not compete in the 1895 cup.

Just because my club played in the 1895 cup, doesn’t mean all Leigh fans are in favour of it. I certainly am not and personally hope it is scrapped like the short-lived similar comp a few years ago (at least Hull KR did get to the proper final at Wembley a few years later). If we are going to go to Wembley it has to be in the proper cup final or not at all. If I don’t live to see it (born after 1971), then so be it. I don’t like meaningless second rate cup competitions. Btw I go to the cup final anyway every year 

22 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

The top two teams play in the challenge cup competition though. Toronto and TO did not compete in the 1895 cup.

Just because my club played in the 1895 cup, doesn’t mean all Leigh fans are in favour of it. I certainly am not and personally hope it is scrapped like the short-lived similar comp a few years ago (at least Hull KR did get to the proper final at Wembley a few years later). If we are going to go to Wembley it has to be in the proper cup final or not at all. If I don’t live to see it (born after 1971), then so be it. I don’t like meaningless second rate cup competitions. Btw I go to the cup final anyway every year 

Toronto and TO do not play in the Challenge Cup, they both refuse to pay a bond. 

7 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Why could the Champions schools game not be played at 10:00, finished by 11:30ish, with the 1895 Final played at 12:00 and finished by 2:00, leaving time for the CCF to start at 3 as normal?

Everyone wins.

Almost like festival of rugby league with entertainment and sport throughout the day, and both inside and outside the ground?

You might be on to something there.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Why could the Champions schools game not be played at 10:00, finished by 11:30ish, with the 1895 Final played at 12:00 and finished by 2:00, leaving time for the CCF to start at 3 as normal?

Everyone wins.

Is the Champions schools game a full 80 mins?The old under 11’s curtain raiser was only 12 mins each way which is better timewise

So why not have the 1895 final then a short junior curtain raiser, then the CCF?

1 hour ago, Lobbygobbler said:

Is the Champions schools game a full 80 mins?The old under 11’s curtain raiser was only 12 mins each way which is better timewise

So why not have the 1895 final then a short junior curtain raiser, then the CCF?

IIRC, it's 20 minutes each way at U12s. It's the full version of the game, just with shorter minutes (and shorter athletes!)

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived