Swinton Lions rebrand,and what are other clubs outside Super League doing in anticipation of 2021?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That badge is decent, if they really have to do this. 

Yes, the Est - Swinton - 1866 works well.

The font size of Swinton isn't markedly different from that of Manchester. In fact, I can't tell, but the font sizes could even be the same, albeit with Swinton narrowed.

41 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Getting away from nutty ideas for a minute and back to Swinton, the ‘Manchester Lions’ have issued a statement

https://swintonlionsrlfc.co.uk/news/board-statement-the-future/

Some very good and well thought out points written in there. Tying in with the legacy of the WC games is a great strategy, linking with the schools and trying to attach to the schools and community work could work well. An easy follow up for spreading their brand that simply wouldn't work as "Swinton".

I also like that they're ambitious, and these plans are geared towards not just surviving but thriving. SL ambitions. If Salford can...

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I first saw Swinton at Featherstone in 1965, they were a top side then with an iconic ground. It was sad to see them fall on hard times, lose their ground then have to lead a nomadic existence for many years. The band of supporters who have stuck by them have shown tremendous loyalty. I understand that this change must be difficult for them, I don't know how I would feel if it was my Club, but I hope that they can still support the Club and that they go on to have some stability and success and keep some link to Swinton.

10 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I can literally feel the phoenix clubs emerging...

10 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Should merge the lower league sides, less sides = more money for each. 

South Yorkshire Eagles - Sheffield and Doncaster. 

Heavy Woollen XIII - Batley and Dewsbury. 

Manchester - Oldham, Rochdale and Swinton. 

West Yorkshire - Halifax, Bradford and Keighley. 

Cumbria - Workington, Haven and Barrow. 

Thirteen clubs into five. Makes sense. 

I think in the end something very similar will happen to what you say.

1 hour ago, Manxmanc said:

Yes, the Est - Swinton - 1866 works well.

The font size of Swinton isn't markedly different from that of Manchester. In fact, I can't tell, but the font sizes could even be the same, albeit with Swinton narrowed.

For me as a Swinton Lions fan that is good enough for me.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m born and bred in Liverpool and they certainly did at my school and area, and others. Which part do you live in to think Liverpool have more fans than Everton out of interest?

Liverpool do have more fans than Everton , but not in Liverpool 

3 hours ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

That attitude is the reason why the game has been in decline. Too much of the me me me rather than a common love for the game!
By the way, whether you like it or not Oldham is still part of the Manchester metro region.

I know it is but I ain't no manc. If it was football I'd choose Oldham athletic over either Manchester club every day of the week. I'm an Oldhamer. In Oldham we also have a few amateur clubs to follow too, I already do as well as following Oldham. We do have some choices if people wish to continue following the game through a club representative of the town. 

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

I know it is but I ain't no manc. If it was football I'd choose Oldham athletic over either Manchester club every day of the week. I'm an Oldhamer. In Oldham we also have a few amateur clubs to follow too, I already do as well as following Oldham. We do have some choices if people wish to continue following the game through a club representative of the town. 

Whilst reference to a common love of the game is a fair point, I do think that there is a difference between the relationships of Swinton and Oldham to Manchester. Oldham might be called a satellite town of Manchester, as would be Bolton, Rochdale, Bury etc.all with an undoubted connection to Manchester, but well-defined separate entities. Swinton, whilst retaining an identity, is clearly attached to the central Manchester connurbation so that the relationship physically, politically and practically is much closer. 

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 15:36, The Daddy said:

Have you actually been reading the posts? You are clearly someone who has formed an opinion and just wants to have a whinge regardless of the facts 

Yeah, because changing the name to "London" has clearly done wonders down in Ealing.

It's actually a really well worded statement and the club badge has been tastefully done. But if you want a Manchester Club form one, don't piggy back another clubs history. Have they've done some market research and discovered 80% of fans come from the Sale area? Thats the only reason I think of doing this, but Sale isn't even in Manchester

Swinton fans have suffered a lot with moving grounds over the years, now they lose their name pretty much. This will kill what crowds they have. Poor crowds you say but after not playing in Swinton for so many years whose crowds wouldn't suffer, returning to Swinton should have still been an objective as its kept the fans going, now that won't happen. At the very least try and play within the city of Salford or closer, what about Moor Lane Gigg Lane (been there before)?

What is actually left of the Swinton Club in reality apart from the the fans and memories? By not consulting the fans on this (apparently promised butt we can guess why they didn't) they've pretty much eradicated Swinton.

99% of pro comments I've seen are from other clubs fans, how would you feel if it was your club, would you support a new name, seriously think about it. Plenty made a fuss of adding new nicknames after the name when the came in, Hull then dropped the Sharks,  Wakefield the Cats (some still get touchy about being called the Wildcats), Halifax the Sox.

Adding Manchester isnt going to increase crowd, I'm a lifelong RL fan whos lived all over Salford and Manchester for 25 years, its a serious footballing city. You'd need serious cash to get an RL club going here perhaps (playing in the little Ethiad), essentially on marketing which is where Salford fall down, and much the rest of RL for that matter. Just to add I'm not a Swinton fan.

9 hours ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

That attitude is the reason why the game has been in decline. Too much of the me me me rather than a common love for the game!
By the way, whether you like it or not Oldham is still part of the Manchester metro region.

Are you a Sky executive?
Absolute nonsense.

Oldhamers have no affinity to Manchester in general. "I'm not a Manc" is a very common phrase.

And as someone from Saddleworth originally, we feel we don't belong to Oldham, Manchester and even Lancashire.
Postal/administrative address changes do not affect identity over generations.

I put it to you the number of people that love a team and then RL far outweigh those that just love RL and have no alleigance to a team. And that is true of most sports.

What is that nonsense based on? What is it with people? Just because Sale isn't located in the municipality of the 'City of Manchester' does not exclude Sale from being a suburb of Manchester! Seriously...so many knowalls know nothing.

"so many knowalls know nothing." check you out.

Correct it isn't City of Manchester, but its not a suburb of Manchester either. It is a town in Metropolitan Borough of Trafford, but its is also suburb of the metropolitan county of Greater Manchester. Historically Cheshire. 

Sticking Manchester on a badge isn't going to get people through the gates without significant marketing money and I'd say relocating again in future. Manchester Club, formerly Swinton playing in Swinton. You are only going to grow local support if that. Have they done that already. I doubt it.

One obvious plus of the club changing its name from Swinton is that the club can stop trying to 'get home' now after departing their spiritual Station Rd  ground and region back in 92'. Arguably, for a club that has been forced to play out in other suburbs of 'Manchester' (Sedgely Park) the new name is more reflective of what they represent now and where they are going.

Removing that constant desire to return to Swinton will hopefully free the club to draw a line in the sand and say whilst we know our history is from Swinton, but we see our future being bigger than that and move forward, whatever that looks like. It's a gamble that could pay off it managed well. I hope Andy Mazey and his team can pull it off.

"Removing that constant desire to return to Swinton" god forbid Swinton RLFC would want to do that.

Good luck selling it to the present Swinton fans.

4 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueMan said:

Be a supporter of the game first. Without the game there are no clubs. The problem is that most supporters care only for their club and not the game hence 124years of club-centric RL along a motorway.....

Time to move up to the next level.....the navigation system of the car points to NA expansion.  No fear, the heartlands will always be the main engine.

3 hours ago, Jblake said:

Sticking Manchester on a badge isn't going to get people through the gates without significant marketing money and I'd say relocating again in future. Manchester Club, formerly Swinton playing in Swinton. You are only going to grow local support if that. Have they done that already. I doubt it.

"Removing that constant desire to return to Swinton" god forbid Swinton RLFC would want to do that.

Good luck selling it to the present Swinton fans.

but that is the whole point.. they are wanting to invest that money or at least spend it.. but to do that they need something more to sell and the belief is that there will be more bang for the buck if they are market a Manchester team than a Swinton team. At the moment whether that is right or wrong is only a matter of opinion, for what its worth i recon they are probably right but only time will tell really. 

In terms of "good luck selling it to the present swinton fans" as has been pointed out its hardly heaving at the seams... the risk is to lose them all and the club, the gain is much more. I do understand though that emotionally for those involved in support of the club there is much more to lose.

Archived