Jump to content
John Drake

Fri 13 Sept: SL: Wakefield Trinity v London Broncos KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

82 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Wakefield Trinity
      27
    • London Broncos
      55

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/19 at 18:45

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Possibly. Though I think it might have similarly taken a lot of our Wakefield physically and mentally, I think it will have taken a lot out of London emotionally. 

Though who knows. One think London have done fantastically this year is land punches in bunches. They score 1 and they look to score 2 or 3 in quick succession. Even in games they have looked out of they have managed to cause a few nervous moments and pick up a few points they otherwise wouldn't have done. 

If they can do that early to get themselves a 2 or 3 score lead against Wakefield, or do it late and get themselves within a score coming back, there will be a lot of pressure on wakefield in that stadium. 

Sorry but that makes no sense at all, why has it, London won, they are brimming with confidence, they certainly aren't emotionally drained, and certainly not more so than Wakefield. Wakey are on a horrendously bad run and put everything into last week to beat Warrington because by doing so it would have meant no matter what they'd be safe (barring London putting an unreachable amount of points on them)/

Of the two teams Wakefield are emotionally weaker/more susceptible than London, in any case I don't think emotion comes into it, you haven't got time, you have to play what's in front of you, hence why I said it doesn't mater when you play, whether that's the Friday first or the Sunday last. You can only play to the maximum that you can, people saying that you are geed up more or are affected by the result is nonsense and ignores human psychology, if you're constantly thinking of what another team are doing/have done then you're not a decent pro at what you do, you are weak and lack focus to the task in front of you to put in your max effort, as you should do week in week out..

People think having games on different days changes things, the actuality is that it doesn't really matter, you are under pressure knowing the result and you are under the same amount of pressure playing when the other game is going on or if you have to score and win by as many points if you play first, there is no psychological difference despite what Wellsy said previously. As I said, you can only perform to your maximum, you cannot exceed this and if you're not already geed up to do your best then I suppose that means you're not going to do it in any other game either because you're weak minded.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Sorry but that makes no sense at all, why has it, London won, they are brimming with confidence, they certainly aren't emotionally drained, and certainly not more so than Wakefield. Wakey are on a horrendously bad run and put everything into last week to beat Warrington because by doing so it would have meant no matter what they'd be safe (barring London putting an unreachable amount of points on them)/

Of the two teams Wakefield are emotionally weaker/more susceptible than London, in any case I don't think emotion comes into it, you haven't got time, you have to play what's in front of you, hence why I said it doesn't mater when you play, whether that's the Friday first or the Sunday last. You can only play to the maximum that you can, people saying that you are geed up more or are affected by the result is nonsense and ignores human psychology, if you're constantly thinking of what another team are doing/have done then you're not a decent pro at what you do, you are weak and lack focus to the task in front of you to put in your max effort, as you should do week in week out..

People think having games on different days changes things, the actuality is that it doesn't really matter, you are under pressure knowing the result and you are under the same amount of pressure playing when the other game is going on or if you have to score and win by as many points if you play first, there is no psychological difference despite what Wellsy said previously. As I said, you can only perform to your maximum, you cannot exceed this and if you're not already geed up to do your best then I suppose that means you're not going to do it in any other game either because you're weak minded.

 

It takes a lot to get up and then get up again. A lot of players have said that hitting the emotional high of winning the CC takes a lot out of you. 

There are only so many times you can go to the well and London needed to go the very bottom of that well to win last week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is going to be a horribly tense affair. A lot of the Broncos' fortunes turn on the way they start a match. Too many slow starts in recent years have hurt them.

  • Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess whom handles the pressure best.  

Seems to me more pressure on London, whereas Wakefield need Hull KR to win to consign them. Yep, they can't think of that but it just may ease a little pressure.

London were poor two weeks ago when I watched them play Leeds. Their attack was easy to defend. Didn't see the Hull KR & London game but what I've read KR blew it. Although full marks to London for never give-up attitude.

Just wonder if that may be the difference as London in my opinion generally lack finesse in attack. Wakefield defence were able to defend well against Warrington, Wigan & Saints in last few weeks, so should be able to handle Londons attack.

Personally I'd prefer London to be relegated... but well done if they do stay up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping for a Bronco's win and to stay up, I had them down for only winning a couple of games this season but they have undoubtedly prove me wrong and I have been very impressed by what I have seen of them, it's just a pity that when they have lost they have shipped a shed load of points.

The Giants have been the poorest team I have seen this season but having Catalans at home may just provide a lifeline as they seem totally disinterested, Trinity's recent record as quoted is very poor too and Rovers seem to drag defeat from the jaws of victory all too often, and I can't see them getting much at Salford.

Interesting to say the least🤔

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redjonn said:

I guess whom handles the pressure best.  

Seems to me more pressure on London, whereas Wakefield need Hull KR to win to consign them. Yep, they can't think of that but it just may ease a little pressure.

London were poor two weeks ago when I watched them play Leeds. Their attack was easy to defend. Didn't see the Hull KR & London game but what I've read KR blew it. Although full marks to London for never give-up attitude.

Just wonder if that may be the difference as London in my opinion generally lack finesse in attack. Wakefield defence were able to defend well against Warrington, Wigan & Saints in last few weeks, so should be able to handle Londons attack.

Personally I'd prefer London to be relegated... but well done if they do stay up.

I thought london were the better team against HKR.

You could argue HKR blewnit but they only lead for a small minority of the match and london blew a couple of chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm probably going to make the same mistake that I have made several times this season, in tipping against London. Wakefield have improved in recent weeks and if they keep that up, they should just about have enough.

But London have been written off all year and have kept proving people wrong. I'm sure the message from Ward will be win and we're safe, and London have already beaten Wakefield twice, so why can't they do it again?


Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: #GBRLLIONS - It's over...you can open your eyes now - https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2019/11/international-wrap-7-gbrllions-its.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I make this the 5th time Wakey have been in a final day encounter requiring a win to stay up.  The bookies seem a lot more confident than most RL fans so you can still get some really good odds to soften the blow should all the results go against us. 

Eyes on the big screen throughout the game for important updates from elsewhere.

 


This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.
 
 
Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Konkrete said:

No idea who will win.  Too tight to call.  But the game of RL will benefit far more if London stay up. 

Simple question, Why?  Not saying that you are right or wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping for a Wakefield win . Can see Hull KR loosing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

What if this game goes to golden point and the news comes through that Rovers have lost? There would be nothing to stop Wakefield and London from just running down the clock with five drives and a kick.

If that news came through, Wakefield would know they were safe and it wouldn’t be worth the hassle of having to explain why they stopped trying, didn’t go for the drop goal etc etc. I’d think they’d be more likely to just continue to play for the win, rather than help London out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

What if this game goes to golden point and the news comes through that Rovers have lost? There would be nothing to stop Wakefield and London from just running down the clock with five drives and a kick.

West Germany v Austria Football world Cup 1982 springs to mind. West Germany won 1-0 but were far superior to Austria and after WG had scored the goal they needed to secure their own place the teams played ping-pong and just had a kick around as if in a park. A 3-0 win would have seen WG and Algeria go through.

It was labelled the 'disgrace of Gijon'

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

West Germany v Austria Football world Cup 1982 springs to mind. West Germany won 1-0 but were far superior to Austria and after WG had scored the goal they needed to secure their own place the teams played ping-pong and just had a kick around as if in a park. A 3-0 win would have seen WG and Algeria go through.

It was labelled the 'disgrace of Gijon'

Same in Euro 2004 with Sweden and Denmark I think. Needed a 2-2 draw for them both to go through and knock Italy out. Unsurprisingly it got to 2-2 and Sweden just passed it about at the back for 20 minutes with no pressure from Denmark.

At least all games are on at the same time now. Originally Huddersfield were playing first and had they lost a draw for London and Wakey would be enough with plenty of time to 'plan it'. If this happens in real time then fair play, theyve kinda earned the right by battling out a draw in the 80 minutes anyway.


Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Same in Euro 2004 with Sweden and Denmark I think. Needed a 2-2 draw for them both to go through and knock Italy out. Unsurprisingly it got to 2-2 and Sweden just passed it about at the back for 20 minutes with no pressure from Denmark.

At least all games are on at the same time now. Originally Huddersfield were playing first and had they lost a draw for London and Wakey would be enough with plenty of time to 'plan it'. If this happens in real time then fair play, theyve kinda earned the right by battling out a draw in the 80 minutes anyway.

Well for one thing you forgot about golden point so it's extremely unlikely to be a draw anyway, but can you really think two rugby teams would contrive a result, professional ones at that? I couldn't ever imagine that, I still hold firm on my original thinking that it doesn't matter which day the games are played and I don't see it as unfair on any side knowing/not knowing, the pressure given the stakes and what's required for all four teams is the same no matter what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Simple question, Why?  Not saying that you are right or wrong.

Because of the level of engagement in London. Player participation. London lends itself to greater media attention.  Potential audience etc etc

I don’t think Wakey will go down, but what’s their contribution to the game outside of their immediate fan base?  10+ years of SL, with entry gained on false pretences, 2/3 good players produced. Every season bar the odd one last year they’re at the bottom and struggling. 


Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

Because of the level of engagement in London. Player participation. London lends itself to greater media attention.  Potential audience etc etc

I don’t think Wakey will go down, but what’s their contribution to the game outside of their immediate fan base?  10+ years of SL, with entry gained on false pretences, 2/3 good players produced. Every season bar the odd one last year they’re at the bottom and struggling. 

It's 20 years.  I'll not bother correcting the rest of your drivel.

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Haha 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.
 
 
Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Well for one thing you forgot about golden point so it's extremely unlikely to be a draw anyway, but can you really think two rugby teams would contrive a result, professional ones at that? I couldn't ever imagine that, I still hold firm on my original thinking that it doesn't matter which day the games are played and I don't see it as unfair on any side knowing/not knowing, the pressure given the stakes and what's required for all four teams is the same no matter what.

I'm well aware of golden point. I would have to assume if they contrived to draw after 80 mins they could carry on the debacle for the duration of golden point. I don't think they will or would do it either but it's odd you recount an example of it happening elsewhere then dismiss it completely. It would be more difficult in rugby but not impossible, particularly a 0-0 just do 5 boring drives/scoots and a basic kick repeatedly for 80 mins.

The pressure is hardly the same is it. If Hudds lost on Friday, Wakey playing a couple of days later would know they were safe so the pressure would be off, which is hardly fair to HKR...or Salford for that matter. Same scenario if HKR played before everyone else and lost. 


Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Konkrete said:

Because of the level of engagement in London. Player participation. London lends itself to greater media attention.  Potential audience etc etc

I don’t think Wakey will go down, but what’s their contribution to the game outside of their immediate fan base?  10+ years of SL, with entry gained on false pretences, 2/3 good players produced. Every season bar the odd one last year they’re at the bottom and struggling. 

Wollo might not bother to correct your drivel, but I will.

Wakefield have produced more players for the game than virtually every other area, if not all,  (stated by Mr Carter, though he himself couldn't explain the measure the RFL used).

Wakefield made no promises regarding the ground on entry to SL. They said they wanted to play all TV games at Oakwell, but that was never within their control.

In 20 years, Wakefield have finished bottom ONCE.

Also, the club have been self-sufficient since Mr Carter got a hold of the club. They only spend what they earn (which was diminished due to the RFL holding money back because of not meeting some facility standards), and now own the ground (via a loan from WMDC which the club pay back with interest).

If I'm right, you're a Bulls fan?? You really shouldn't be lecturing other clubs about facilities, producing players and definitely not finances!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dboy said:

Wollo might not bother to correct your drivel, but I will.

Wakefield have produced more players for the game than virtually every other area, if not all,  (stated by Mr Carter, though he himself couldn't explain the measure the RFL used).

Wakefield made no promises regarding the ground on entry to SL. They said they wanted to play all TV games at Oakwell, but that was never within their control.

In 20 years, Wakefield have finished bottom ONCE.

Also, the club have been self-sufficient since Mr Carter got a hold of the club. They only spend what they earn (which was diminished due to the RFL holding money back because of not meeting some facility standards), and now own the ground (via a loan from WMDC which the club pay back with interest).

If I'm right, you're a Bulls fan?? You really shouldn't be lecturing other clubs about facilities, producing players and definitely not finances!

When you say Wakefield have produced more players than any other area, do you mean the club or Wakefield district? I know the club have a decent record producing players over the past couple of decades with people like Brough, Westwood, Ellis etc but I wouldn't have thought they were anywhere near Wigan or Leeds, or even Bradford come to think of it.

Genuine question, I'm not trying to cause a fight.


Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

When you say Wakefield have produced more players than any other area, do you mean the club or Wakefield district? I know the club have a decent record producing players over the past couple of decades with people like Brough, Westwood, Ellis etc but I wouldn't have thought they were anywhere near Wigan or Leeds, or even Bradford come to think of it.

Genuine question, I'm not trying to cause a fight.

Not sure (neither was Mr Carter).

It was a score credited to each club and the feeling was that it was an algorithm of club produced and service area produced (for the whole pro game, not just SL).

The big clubs are very good at pinching juniors from all over...

You'd be surprised just how many Wakey lads are in the game!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...