Sign in to follow this  
Roy Haggerty

Toronto Love (Merged threads)

15 hours ago, RayCee said:

I didn't even bother reading the haters thread. I know they are there but the relatively few haters in this world have always had their opinions given too much attention. There's too much to like in RL this weekend to focus on negative views. 

Dead right.

This won't make any difference to those who don't want to hear or know it but;

In a Union dominated London Media in the middle of the K&CWC, TWP & SRD have given us loads of coverage and column inches.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

“Thursday 12th November, Never forget, Never forgive!”    

41 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Which traditional RU clubs play in Super Rugby and Pro 14?  The answer is none, regional rep teams play in those leagues instead.  Replace regional rep teams with brand new purpose-built franchises in major world class cities in G20 countries and that's my concept.  The existing teams would all be left in the same league structure as now playing the same traditional opponents as ever.

I know all about London, it's 39 years and counting now and the evidence shows that only a team which is part of a whole new, bigger and better structure could possibly break through the combination of lack of awareness of the game and the view that it's just a small time regional game with limited appeal which Londoners evidently share with other Brits outside M62-land.  Offer them instead a league where London plays the likes of New York, Toronto, Toulouse, Barcelona, etc. week in and week out in an RL competition which delivers the rugby equivalent of the Champions League, UEFA League and Copa Libertardores every season and that could change, indeed it's probably the only possible way of changing those views.

Who’s going to pay for all of this, and where will the players come from?

39 minutes ago, Oxford said:

This won't make any difference to those who don't want to hear or know it but;

In a Union dominated London Media in the middle of the K&CWC, TWP & SRD have given us loads of coverage and column inches.

Shh! If you keep telling everyone, they may want to watch!

• Like 3

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

33 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Who’s going to pay for all of this, and where will the players come from?

Initially the sort of investors who'd recognize what a ground floor opportunity in the major league sports business that would offer would, by buying the franchises for a franchise fee which reflects the value of that opportunity, that would supply needed start up capital.  Then based on having the right franchise locations in major media markets in those G20 countries (each with a nickname, logo and colours chosen to maximize its appeal in its local market) the league could line up a number of broadcast contracts such that even though no single broadcaster would pay as much as they do for any of their current sports properties all the contracts together would bring in a good level of income during the league's early years on the basis of structuring those partnerships to deliver superb value to the broadcasters for the relatively modest investment each one has to put up.  That combination would in turn position the league to attract the kind of sponsors who would be desired.

The players would be a mix of experienced RL free agents attracted by the opportunity and higher pay levels than the current "Super" League and targetted converts from sports such as RU and gridiron attracted by those same things who'd be needed to make up the balance of the rosters as the number of experienced free agents in the game in any one year likely isn't enough to supply all the needed players from that one source alone.

Edited by Big Picture

25 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Initially the sort of investors who'd recognize what a ground floor opportunity in the major league sports business that would offer would, by buying the franchises for a franchise fee which reflects the value of that opportunity, that would supply needed start up capital.  Then based on having the right franchise locations in major media markets in those G20 countries (each with a nickname, logo and colours chosen to maximize its appeal in its local market) the league could line up a number of broadcast contracts such that even though no single broadcaster would pay as much as they do for any of their current sports properties all the contracts together would bring in a good level of income during the league's early years on the basis of structuring those partnerships to deliver superb value to the broadcasters for the relatively modest investment each one has to put up.  That combination would in turn position the league to attract the kind of sponsors who would be desired.

The players would be a mix of experienced RL free agents attracted by the opportunity and higher pay levels than the current "Super" League and targetted converts from sports such as RU and gridiron attracted by those same things who'd be needed to make up the balance of the rosters as the number of experienced free agents in the game in any one year likely isn't enough to supply all the needed players from that one source alone.

Ok so who’s going to organise all of this

Just now, Eddie said:

Ok so who’s going to organise all of this

If I had the right sort of contacts, I'd take it on because I've already given the idea a lot of thought.

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

If I had the right sort of contacts, I'd take it on because I've already given the idea a lot of thought.

Have you got any suitable contacts though? If so good luck with it 👍

15 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I respect that you given this a lot of thought, BP.

Toronto are saying openly, now with a touch of desperation (see McDermott’s interview last night), that they need several international city clubs in Super League to secure their own TV deal & major sponsors.

That’s not going to happen because SLE won’t allow it.

So perhaps the best hope for Toronto is to set up their own ‘American Rugby League’ with Ottawa, New York et al or I can see them folding within the next three years or so.

Super League won’t like a rival league because they’ll lose players but maybe it’s the only logical way forward?

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Big Picture said:

And in addition, they've brought real Canadian football to the attention of the Canadian sporting public.

Excatly how many Canadians play for Toronto? 😂 

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I respect that you given this a lot of thought, BP.

Toronto are saying openly, now with a touch of desperation (see McDermott’s interview last night), that they need several international city clubs in Super League to secure their own TV deal & major sponsors.

That’s not going to happen because SLE won’t allow it.

So perhaps the best hope for Toronto is to set up their own ‘American Rugby League’ with Ottawa, New York et al or I can see them folding within the next three years or so.

Super League won’t like a rival league because they’ll lose players but maybe it’s the only logical way forward?

You’re desperately hoping they fold within three years. 

3 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

None as of now, but I was talking about the game and its distinctive characteristics which are all improved versions of Canadian inventions which made the Canadian rugby football played here when the Grey Cup was inaugurated completely distinct from the inferior game which is rugby union.

3 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

None as of now, but I was talking about the game and its distinctive characteristics which are all improved versions of Canadian inventions which made the Canadian rugby football played here when the Grey Cup was inaugurated completely distinct from the inferior game which is rugby union.

Nothing against Toronto good luck to them in SL but by the way some fans talk you'd think there were Canadians playing. 

Edited by MADREDNIGE
  • Like 1

Just now, MADREDNIGE said:

Nothing against Toronto good luck to them in SL but by the way some fans talk you'd think they were Canadians playing. 

Ice hockey excepted, the Canadian teams in the major North America pro leagues don't have too many Canadian players.  In all of those leagues with the exception of the NFL, the players come from many different countries.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

They've only been in operation for three years, as you are very well aware. 

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

3 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Nothing against Toronto good luck to them in SL but by the way some fans talk you'd think there were Canadians playing. 

Yesterday they were all Canadian, honorary citizenship for the game...endorsed and sworn in by 10 00 Canadian citizens, even the Mayor of Toronto!...they were wearing the Maple Leaf red stripe were they not?

Canadians all.

5 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Who is saying that? You keep coming out with these statements with absolutely no evidence. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas...

What you really want, deep down, is for them to be supplanted by a club who can provide more empty seats to count on a weekly basis, right? :kolobok_wink:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Who is saying that? You keep coming out with these statements with absolutely no evidence. 

She just doesn't understand that we are a nation of multi national immigrants over here...the most multi cultural country in the world.  Toronto the most multicultural big city.

We don't care if they are British or English...we don't even really know the difference!  This brash nationalism...it must not be good for the society in the long term is it?  It must create internal stresses?

Edited by Kayakman

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

They've only been in operation for three years, as you are very well aware. 

And paid to dollor for players not many league one and championship teams can afford to do that.. 

8 minutes ago, dkw said:

Read some threads then! 

2 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

And paid to dollor for players not many league one and championship teams can afford to do that.. 

What has that to do with developing home-grown talent? They had to start in a competitive position without havig any existing players, so they did what they had to do. They could afford to do it well, so that's how they did it. Or do you think that all clubs should be limited to the budget of the poorest?

Edited by Futtocks

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

What you really want, deep down, is for them to be supplanted by a club who can provide more empty seats to count on a weekly basis, right? :kolobok_wink:

Must admit it’s getting easier to count the empties in Toronto’s recent 9k-odd crowds than last year’s 9k crowds :kolobok_wink:

Edited by Man of Kent

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Must admit it’s getting harder to count the empties in Toronto’s recent 9k-odd crowds than last year’s 9k crowds :kolobok_wink:

If it's empties you want to count, check behind the Lamport beer garden...

• Haha 1