Not keen.

Not keen at all.

Not a single artist, just all of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

My favourite band.

You're banned!! 😁 🎸

I've been trying to get banned since 2004. Didn't realise that was how to do it! 
😆

Anyway, before you ban me - Icicle Works, Brudenell Social Club (near Headingley stadium) Friday 15 Nov.
I know you'll like that.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Thought we were talking about Demis Roussos? 

We were and we are. He was in a band with Vangelis before his solo career, and they were pretty trippy.

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

2 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

I've been trying to get banned since 2004. Didn't realise that was how to do it! 
😆

Anyway, before you ban me - Icicle Works, Brudenell Social Club (near Headingley stadium) Friday 15 Nov.
I know you'll like that.

The Icicle Works, you say...?

Ok, you're unbanned now! 👍

(Congratulations on the shortest ban in TRL history). 😄

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Mariah Carey.

She sells gazillions of records so somebody likes what she does, and that's fine, so long as I don't have to endure it. It's the (to me) unnecessary way she shoehorns a dozen different notes into one word of a song. It drives me crackers. Nails down a blackboard.

Apart from that Christmas one, obviously. Everyone likes the Christmas one, don't they?

I'm not a huge Carey fan, but I am going to defend the style.

I often hear this opinion from 'credible' music fans who hate it but have no problem with massive guitar solos.

They are in essence the same thing. Both are just a melody taken to an extreme, in a way that demonstrates technical proficiency.

• Like 1

donovan..>  hurdy gurdy man/   and the kinks. 

t rex were my fav back in the day.still got every record.

• Confused 2

U2

1970s disco

The sort of music that Premiership footballers seem to like

and another vote for Ms. Carey.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

30 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I'm not a huge Carey fan, but I am going to defend the style.

I often hear this opinion from 'credible' music fans who hate it but have no problem with massive guitar solos.

They are in essence the same thing. Both are just a melody taken to an extreme, in a way that demonstrates technical proficiency.

Both with vocal melisma and guitar shredding, there are good and bad examples. Mariah Carey has done both in her career, and the worst examples are pretty awful examples of empty flash. But some will dismiss all of her songs out of hand.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

1 hour ago, Steve May said:

When REM played at the McAlpine (as was) in Huddersfield in 1995 they were due to be supported by Oasis, but by the time the date came round Oasis weren’t going to support anyone!

We got The Beautiful South instead.   They were great.   Did a brilliant cover of Some Might Say.  

REM didn’t have a clue where they were and did a professional but somewhat unenthusiastic job.  

I finally saw Oasis years later at Heaton Park.   The sound system failed, so they played a shortened set and Noel Gallagher announced we would all get our money back.  

A few weeks later an incredibly ornate, specially printed cheque arrived, complete with Noel’s signature.   Had it been 1996 I’d have framed it, put it on my wall and left the money in his pocket.  

But it wasn’t 1996, so I cashed it and got my money back.  

I saw REM at the McAlpine too but the best act was Terrorvision, smashed it😁

Back in 87 saw Bowie at Roker Park on the Glass Spider tour, absolute dross, again was completely spanked by a support act this time Big Country, the crowd got really into it singing along etc, for Bowie most just looked bewildered by the stage set and the music then wondered off to the stands to talk amongst themselves.

10 hours ago, Niels said:

I think Viva Hate is a terrific CD.  There was possibly a hint of future controversy in the song Bengali in platforms. 

The remaster sounds great. 

I agree with you about the emotion and humanity. 

Yes, that’s a classic album no doubt.

My main gigging and music buying years were between 91-99 and I’ve been lucky enough to see most of the main bands from that era play small gigs on tours before they hit the big time like Radiohead, Oasis, Pulp, Suede etc.

One Morrissey approved band that I never saw though was Echobelly whose lead singer Sonya Madan was writing about the experience of being an Asian feminist in the UK at that time.  It made for some great tunes off their Everyone’s Got One album of that time which had something to say.  Worth a listen even now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Drake said:

Jazz.

Not keen.

Not keen at all.

Not a single artist, just all of it.

I ... I ... I mean you think you know someone and then ... this ...

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Sam Smith.

Nothing to do with his politics, just can't stand his voice. 

They are gender neutral now, so you can't stand their voice. Or something like that.

• Haha 2

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

I'm going to say Foo Fighters have had more misses than hits and rely on the Dave Grohl thing

Paul Weller and Richard Hawley.  

I should like them, going off what things I do like, but never really got either of them.  

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

12 hours ago, silverback said:

donovan..>  hurdy gurdy man/   and the kinks. 

t rex were my fav back in the day.still got every record.

The Kinks? You don't like The Kinks??!! How can anyone not like The Kinks???!!! Someone mentioned "godlike genius" earlier in the thread. Ray Davies must surely be the ultimate godlike genius.

I do get why you don't like Donovan but as a 15-year-old I was madly in love with him 😆 I think his indulgence in too many dubious substances had a negative impact on his creativity but I still maintain that Fairy Tale was a great album.

Edited by WellWisher
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Mister C said:

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

I'm going to say Foo Fighters have had more misses than hits and rely on the Dave Grohl thing

Definitely agree about Foo Fighters. I suspect that if it weren't for the Nirvana connection they'd have come and gone in a short space of time without anyone ever noticing them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Both with vocal melisma and guitar shredding, there are good and bad examples. Mariah Carey has done both in her career, and the worst examples are pretty awful examples of empty flash. But some will dismiss all of her songs out of hand.

In my late teens and early 20s, I was a singer who was part of a culture where melisma (or runs/turns/vibs) were seen as something to aspire to. This was mainly because they are very hard, and if you can do them well you need to be an exceptional singer. There are plenty of examples of singers doing it who can't do it. Florence (of the machine variety) and Annie Lennox are two such examples.

Even now, I enjoy music that includes this and often because of how they do it. Some use it for the sake of using it which is where the problems come in.

15 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Mind you, that goes for absolutely chuffing EVERY SOUND that is played on Capital FM that my boys subject me to in the car. It riles me with its utter banality.

Your car, your music. Thems the rules.