Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Mumby Magic

Musical Artists I don't "get"

I don't get U2. Never have, never will. Can't understand what all the fuss is about. 

• Like 3

Four legs good - two legs bad

19 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I had to drive the 230 miles to Wales and back for Christmas in the company of Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer etc. Couldn't understand why teenagers didn't want to listen to Phil Spector's Christmas Album.

Three of my favourites 😀

Anyway, ones I don't get:

Rap/Grime

Warbling

The Smith/Oasis/Stone Roses etc

Classical/Opera - the ones that slaughter national anthems before matches

Modern Pop music

A lot of death/black metal - I can cope with the music, cannot stand growled vocals that you cannot really hear.

• Haha 1

the smiths and Morrissey are getting some stick here, Vauxhall and I is prob the best album of the entire 90s if anyone bothers to listen properly to something, as for his recent politics - if he theres a party that is big on animal rights and want to ban halal slaughter then hes gonna be all over it 

I don't GET a lot of stuff other people like but I do respect that every one has different tastes and likes in all aspects of life - music included

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Mahler. Other than the second symphony, I find nearly all of his music flabby and lacking in any visceral power. A lot of it sounds (to me) like filler.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

32 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Mahler. Other than the second symphony, I find nearly all of his music flabby and lacking in any visceral power. A lot of it sounds (to me) like filler.

I was not interested in Mahler at all, until I went to a performance in Reading. I then pretty much listed to just that for a week or so.

Mind you, I think it might have been the second.

It was about fifteen years ago.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

36 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I was not interested in Mahler at all, until I went to a performance in Reading. I then pretty much listed to just that for a week or so.

Mahler 2 is the symphony that includes a choir, if that jogs your memory.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Mahler 2 is the symphony that includes a choir, if that jogs your memory.

I think it was 5th actually.

It was fifteen years ago, I am almost just guessing.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 17/10/2019 at 19:59, BryanC said:

How could I have possibly forgotten rap on my list, it's just shouting.

I'm not having Free though, how can you not like "Wishing Well" ????

You're bang on with Gracie, though.

Free were on a music programme on Yesterday tv this evening.

I think Wishing Well was about Paul Kossof, it's one of my favourites too.

10 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I think it was 5th actually.

It was fifteen years ago, I am almost just guessing.

5th is 70 mins long. 4th movement is the most notable and famous and worth listening to in a darkened room with no distractions. 

Some of the big artists of the last few decades i don`t ever listen to ...Elvis , Michael Jackson ,Madonna ,Prince ,Springsteen,Amy Whinehouse,Adele,Ed Sheeran ,Emimem ,and nearly all of Radio ones output during the day when it seems all songs blend into each other with the same beat and same electronically treated vocals .

Its all subjective really aint it? Like saying all genres of Rap are noisy shouty with lyrics about guns etc...its really not.

Anyway in the spirit of things

Dull middle class solo males and females with guitars

Prog ###### rock

U2 and the like....oh and its not that I dont get it, but Sex Pistols Never Mind album...really dont understand the reverence for it....give me The Lurkers any day 🙂

15 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I know what you mean. 

Years ago I stumbled across Beethoven’s Kreutzer Sonata.   

I listened to almost nothing else for about a month. 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

3 hours ago, Gray1967 said:

Its all subjective really aint it? Like saying all genres of Rap are noisy shouty with lyrics about guns etc...its really not.

Anyway in the spirit of things

Dull middle class solo males and females with guitars

Prog ###### rock

U2 and the like....oh and its not that I dont get it, but Sex Pistols Never Mind album...really dont understand the reverence for it....give me The Lurkers any day 🙂

Not all genres of ' rap ' , but lots of them , including the ones where basically it's a perfectly reasonable song , but to try to appear ' relevant ' they've stuck a bout of quick shouting in the middle of it 🙁

• Like 1

While we here can`t listen to T Rex , Duran Duran , Spandau Ballet ,U2 ,Oasis , Jamiraquai ,and any albums entitled Ibiza anthems or the like .

18 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Not all genres of ' rap ' , but lots of them , including the ones where basically it's a perfectly reasonable song , but to try to appear ' relevant ' they've stuck a bout of quick shouting in the middle of it 🙁

This last bit, I very much agree with. It was a bit naff thirty years ago (and the Sugarcubes), now it really is very silly.

It is worth reflecting that this song:

Is made by middle aged men for middle aged men.

The first Rap record I ever heard was "White Lines"  by Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mell.

The last good Rap record I ever heard was "White Lines"  by Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mell.

• Like 2

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

God, Rap really isn't getting a good rep in here.

I think about 70-80% of my music consumption for the last few years has been Rap as well.

8 hours ago, Click said:

I think about 70-80% of my music consumption for the last few years has been Rap as well.

But is it music ? 

22 hours ago, Click said:

Help is available. Just ask. 

Course its music and some of it has been groundbreaking....Public Enemy, KRS1, Beastie Boys, Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy to name but a few. Dont get me wrong like evrything there is a load of dross aswell, but its like saying  Emerson lake and Palmer or King Crimson etc isnt music with there tedious half hour drum solos and keyboard solos!! Blimey your be telling me hardcore punk is just noise next 🙂

• Like 2

The great thing about rap is that one song can be completely different to another, and while some may think all they talk about is guns and murder, one will be about mental health issues or just a general song.

Should try expaning your horizons!

• Like 3