SBW TORONTO

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

This signing is not necessarily for the RL fans, but, it will satisfy them too.

is Farrell known in RL circles? Google him and make the call yourself.

Ah, ok, that Farrell.

I think the SBW signing covers so many bases it's a stroke of genuis.

Hopefully it works out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

We can't lose our focus....which is a playoff spot in SL this season and to keep the snowball rolling down the mountain and gaining momentum......more signings to come.

I still don't think that's the aim. If you wanted to win the comp there are much better ways to spend your money. 

You could buy the two best halves or a half and a hooker for the SBW money.

I think TWP are going to use these next two years with SBW to bring as much attention to themselves as possible while feeling out what they need to do to win the title. They'll be happy for a mid-table finish.

SL is going to be a whole different kettle of fish but 2022 onwards is going to be when they push.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

new rise.jpg

3 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I still don't think that's the aim. If you wanted to win the comp there are much better ways to spend your money. 

I think TWP are going to use these next two years with SBW to bring as much attention to themselves as possible while feeling out what they need to do to win the title. They'll be happy for a mid-table finish.

SL is going to be a whole different kettle of fish but 2022 onwards is going to be when they push.

Bit like if the Basingstoke Bisons were to sign Jaromir Jagr

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I think we intend to do both...we need a couple more pieces for the puzzle....will have to see how they run when the final lineup is out.

A mid table finish will be Okay but the fans in Toronto would like to see some playoff action this year....its important to keep everything together.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

I note this bit in the BBC article and wonder how true it is

And the rest of Super League will be punching the air at his arrival. Having a Sonny Bill Williams in the opposition line-up whenever Toronto Wolfpack come to town will undoubtedly put extra numbers on the gate.

I'd say very true.  SBW was undoubtedly the pull in packing out Headingley for the 2013 WC. Plus a big factor in the big crowd at Wembley IMO. 

Edited by Mattrhino
  • Like 1

He may be the best known RU player in the world but I don’t think he’ll add ANY numbers to gates in UK Super League matches.   RU fans won’t go to watch RL to see him.

With that in mind, will this signing REALLY put that many numbers on the gates in Toronto?   Are they targeting the few Canadian RU fans (who have probably already been briefed to despise RL) or are they targeting fans of other sports.

I would have spent 10 mil on a famous hockey player and put him on the wing ? Probably would raise the profile better within the intended market...

<<< Stands by for incoming! >>>

Edited by Cheshire Setter
  • Like 2

Certainly caused major interest on the BBC Sport web site,although a couple of the usual trolls are trying to derail it. Ignore the trolls, enjoy the dialogue.Helps that it coincides with the Saracens story.

Also good piece by Dave Woods.

Nearly outnumbering the number of comments for the Gareth Bale story in the first hour.

Edited by cookey

12 minutes ago, cookey said:

Helps that it coincides with the Saracens story.

Nah, the cynic in me thinks that the RFU deliberately created a more sensational story to take away from the SBW headline.   Saracens would have probably gotten away with a 'small fine for an admin error' if it wasn't for Toronto and SBW ?

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

He may be the best known RU player in the world but I don’t think he’ll add ANY numbers to gates in UK Super League matches.   RU fans won’t go to watch RL to see him.

With that in mind, will this signing REALLY put that many numbers on the gates in Toronto?   Are they targeting the few Canadian RU fans (who have probably already been briefed to despise RL) or are they targeting fans of other sports.

I would have spent 10 mil on a famous hockey player and put him on the wing ? Probably would raise the profile better within the intended market...

<<< Stands by for incoming! >>>

I do think it will add to the home gates yes. Not only the Toronto factor pulling in the lapsed/part time fans as we've seen in the Championship and L1, but now a genuine superstar too. This is the sort of game that Mums/wives/Girlfriends/ basically non rugby mates would come to attend whereas a run of the mill fixture is just unlikely to draw them in in the same way.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I do think it will add to the home gates yes. Not only the Toronto factor pulling in the lapsed/part time fans as we've seen in the Championship and L1, but now a genuine superstar too. This is the sort of game that Mums/wives/Girlfriends/ basically non rugby mates would come to attend whereas a run of the mill fixture is just unlikely to draw them in in the same way.

Agree

• Like 1

I think it helps validate TWP as a genuine big deal. Anyone who might have had their interested piqued by talk of them over the last couple of years might now think it's worth attending a game. Like him or not, SBW will be billed as a big deal in sports terms.

Some Canadian union fans might see it as a chance to see a former All-Black.

Also worth keeping in mind the commercial appeal SBW will have, which is probably one of the reason's he's getting paid the big bucks. TWP have a genuine star to market and earn off.

SL need to get him involved in any 2020 launch campaigns ASAP.

Edited by EastLondonMike
  • Like 7

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk