John Drake

Sat 16 Nov: Test: Papua New Guinea v Great Britain KO 7.30am (UK Time) (BBC2)

Who will win?  

73 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/11/19 at 07:30

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm sure those people can defend themselves, or report my post. 

But when they act as trolls, I make no apologies.

As requested by you, post reported. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

52 minutes ago, doc said:

Worst GB team ever?  Is that a bit harsh?

Its a big call.

GB has plenty of history 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

We just got hammered by a team who have a Half back who plays for Doncaster so I feel personally Abdull who did a good job for London in a struggling team would have maybe done something at Half Back. The players picked at half back did not have great tours.

As there's 24 in the Squad I would hsve seen him as challenging Trueman or Austin for a spot. Austin for me, is great against weak opposition but yet to show it when it really matters. 

Grace I would have seen as a must for the PNG game and Evalds is creative. McShane and Clarke would be my preferred Hookers as while I think Roby is arguably the second best hooker of the last few years behind Cameron Smith, Roby is old now and 2021 may be pushing it for him. 

Abdul was good for us but is too fat to play half back internationally

In the heat today he'd have been good for 15 mins tops

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

6 NRL players in the GB squad. PNG have players from L1 clubs like Doncaster, Barrow.

PNG also have more NRL and SL full-time professionals than ever before in their side.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I agree about Bateman. he's a player that a good captain can use to devastating effect, but he's not a tactical leader. It'd be like picking Ian Botham as the England Cricket captain...

Peacock wasn't a tactical leader either but he was a good captain. No matter who is captain they will need other good leaders around them and good tacticians. Bateman is intelligent on the field and is in the James Graham mould of putting all his effort in even if it's a lost cause. At Wigan Bateman was the obvious leader in O'Loughlin's absence and the obvious choice to replace him. I'd say he's also an obvious choice to replace O'Loughlin and Graham. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, thinly veiled xenophobia is certainly on show.

This is a genuinely pathetic response to some light hearted joking about some of the more ridiculous tropes on this forum.

I have no doubt what you think of me but are you genuinely trying to suggest that an Italian wearing an England jersey in his picture and the long term Aussie residents of this forum are anti-English xenophobes?

That was awful from GB but it was great to watch PNG. There enthusiasm was amazing. Some of our players need a good hard look at themselves and hopefully that is the end of Bennett.

• Like 3

Patwigaw

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Playing fast outside backs in position, scooting quickly to gain territory from dummy half. Who would have thought? 😕 

It's almost as if the coach had a game plan built on modern rugby styles, making the most of the skill lls of the players available to him... What a bizarre way to coach. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The truth about this game was...it was lost just before half time by conceding the try. Walmsley staring into space!  GB tried to milk too many penalties and didn’t get them. It happens in super league all the time, Hill, Walmsley, falling around and flopping like wet kippers! Hodgson and Hill trying to referee the game! Hill is a waste of space!  The forwards were bullied and out enthused in this match. Why do we continue to go barging down the middle? When we are loosing the ruck? Play the game touch line to touch line, the defence will get tired of chasing around? And as for being GB or England, that’s a load of ######! You put on an international shirt and you die for the cause? 

• Confused 1

This must be the most pitiful international tour ever, in any sport. Hopefully it will at least get rid of Wayne Bennett in good time for the World Cup. 

Has he resigned/ been sacked yet?? What a disaster that tour was, Wayne says he is building for the next two years? Jeez we are in trouble then! No wingers with pace, too many half backs, no centres, playing a hooker with no pace and leaving him there for the majority of the game. 
No attacking kicks or variety, etc etc the list of faults is endless!!!

the new coach has to start from scratch and yet nobody in authority can see it!! You couldn’t make it up...

f3gms4.jpg

7 minutes ago, damp squib said:

This is a genuinely pathetic response to some light hearted joking about some of the more ridiculous tropes on this forum.

I have no doubt what you think of me but are you genuinely trying to suggest that an Italian wearing an England jersey in his picture and the long term Aussie residents of this forum are anti-English xenophobes?

I repeated your allegation of xenophobia. Not sure why that makes you angry.

And not sure why you have no doubt what I think of you. I dont have any strong views, you are a poster here who I sometimes agree with, sometimes disagree with.

34 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Don't agree. The order of blame will be,  as it always has been for the past 30 or more years

1. Coach

2. Coach

3. Coach

4. Coach

5. Coach

John Wayne Bennett has lost 5 games in a row as Eng/GB coach. In those five games the team has only scored 5 tries (30 points - 6 points per game) and conceded 18 tries (111 points - 22 points per game). We have also gone 6/10 halves of rugby without scoring a try

Two of those games were against tier 2 nations and 0 against Australia. That is pathetic. He selected the squad, picked the teams and came up with the tactics. 😞 

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Just now, Scubby said:

John Wayne Bennett has lost 5 games in a row as Eng/GB coach. In those five games the team has only scored 5 tries (30 points - 6 points per game) and conceded 18 tries (111 points - 22 points per game). Two of those games were against tier 2 nations and 0 against Australia. That is pathetic. He selected the squad, picked the teams and came up with the tactics. 😞 

And refused to deviate from that, and basically delivered GB/Englands worst ever loss this morning, surely? 

• Like 2

It's not often you see a game (of any kind) where you can define exactly the turning point. 2 minutes to HT, GB in attacking position 20m out and Hastings kicks for touch to kill the clock. After that, PNG scored 28 - 0

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

PNG also have more NRL and SL full-time professionals than ever before in their side.

What was the respective make-up of today's teams? Do any of the team lists show the teams/comps?

I said before the tour it was absolutely integral we use this tour to blood players, we dont have enough international quality players and we definitely dont have enough internationally experienced players. 

2021 should have been the sole focus since the last world cup. We took a win first mentality and lost and are now going in to a harsh, unforgiving ashes series and then world cup with no set wingers, fullback, no centres, no halves owning the shirt. How can we ever expect to win with no backs?

This tour has shown us a real danger that come 2021 England dont impress at all, struggle through the group stages and there are any of the SH sides capable of beating us.

2021 is now a firefighting exercise to stop us being embarrassed at a home world cup. We need to take this wake up call and refocus what we are doing in getting kids to play and bringing them through because we are being left behind. 

Replacin Bennet will not be a panacea, replacing sinfield wont improve us at all. 

if hes  "building" for the future then rouge traders need to get on the case cos hes the wost "builder" I have ever seen, no tools,  no plans and no progress on the job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

This must be the most pitiful international tour ever, in any sport. Hopefully it will at least get rid of Wayne Bennett in good time for the World Cup. 

The bar has just been raised for hyperbole. Anyone who remembers England's touring performances in Cricket in the Nineties would see the above comment as being way off the mark.

• Haha 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What was the respective make-up of today's teams? Do any of the team lists show the teams/comps?

There were the pre-match graphics on the BBC (including a GB forward with the unusual surname of "Thomspon"). Nevertheless, the next time we play them, as England or GB, there will be even more SL and NRL players facing us. Long overdue recognition of talent, for a country that has the love for the game of PNG.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2