John Drake

Sat 16 Nov: Test: Papua New Guinea v Great Britain KO 7.30am (UK Time) (BBC2)

Who will win?  

73 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/11/19 at 07:30

Utterly pathetic. Thrashed by PNG. The only question left is whether England is the 4th or 5th best Rugby League national side. On the evidence of today, 5th.

5 minutes ago, Chamey said:

Utterly pathetic. Thrashed by PNG. The only question left is whether England is the 4th or 5th best Rugby League national side. On the evidence of today, 5th.

Fiji and Samoa would like a word.

new rise.jpg

16 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

if hes  "building" for the future then rouge traders need to get on the case cos hes the wost "builder" I have ever seen, no tools,  no plans and no progress on the job.

Get that Bald cockney to chase him down the road shouting questions, "so you said you would pick on fowm, but you picked an 'alf back on the weeng, why did you do that Wayne" 

Edited by dkw
  • Haha 1

If only France can kick on a bit we would have around 8-10 strong nations. Wales And France both deserve more support as they both are based around home born talent and as such expand the playing pool. 

Its a shame France did not play in PNG too. 

That PNG are not based around heritage players is amazing for game as it suggests there is potential for alot more talent to come from there and for this win to be one that will be repeated in coming years against Elite sides. 

Definitely PNG learnt alot from having the Knights tour there last year. 

Hopefully PNG get more home games in coming years. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What was the respective make-up of today's teams? Do any of the team lists show the teams/comps?

Papua New Guinea:

1. Alex Johnston - South Sydney (NRL)

2. Edene Gebbie - Just signed with South Sydney (NRL). Wynum Manly in QLD cup for past few years

3. David Mead - Catalans (SL)

4. Justin Olam - Melbourne Storm (NRL). Starting Centre

5. Stargroth Amean - Barrow (Champsionship)

6. Kyle Laybutt - Townsville Blackhawks (QLD Cup)

7. Watson Boas - Doncaster (League 1)

8. Wellington Albert - Leeds (SL)

9. Wartovo Puara Jr - Barrow (Championship)

10. Luke Page - Burleigh Bears (QLD Cup)

11. Nixon Putt - North Devils (QLD Cup)

12. Daniel Russell - Contracted to NQ Cowboys but has not played. Plays for feeder club Mackay Cutters (QLD)

13. Rhys Martin - Leeds (SL)

Interchange (from):

Edwin Ipape - Wynum Manly (QLD Cup)

Garry Lo - PNG Hunters (QLD Cup)

Stanton Albert - PNG Hunters (QLD Cup)

Moses Meninga - Townsville Blackhawks (QLD Cup)

Top of QLD and NSW cup would probably be the level of the bottom half of Super League.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m afraid I now believe WB must go. GB Lions is not a project for future sides. Iconic brand treated with no respect. Next coach must be English: Powell or Wane - or both. Embarrassing- though I’m pleased for PNG - actually delighted for them; what a fabulous boost for this little nation!

international rugby league given a huge shake up

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What was the respective make-up of today's teams? Do any of the team lists show the teams/comps?

The 17 heroes for PNG today were:

Alex Johnston (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Daniel Russell (North Queensland Cowboys), David Mead (Catalan Dragons), Edene Gebbie (Wynnum Manly), Edwin Ipape (Wynnum Manly),  Garry Lo (PNG Hunters), Justin Olam (Melbourne Storm), Kyle Laybutt (Townsville Blackhawks), Luke Page (Burleigh Bears), Moses Meninga (PNG Hunters), Nixon Putt (Norths Devils), Rhyse Martin (Leeds Rhinos),  Stanton Albert (PNG Hunters), Stargroth Amean (Barrow Raiders), Wartovo Puara (Barrow Raiders), Watson Boas (Doncaster RLFC), Wellington Albert (Leeds Rhinos).

So 3 from the NRL, 3 from SL,  8 from Qld Cup, 3 from L1.

GB had 6 from the NRL, 11 from SL.

(Bah, beaten to it by AB90 ? )

Edited by JonM
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bratman said:

I was going to treat myself to a GB top as I quite like it. Not sure I’d wear it though after that tour!

You could always pretend it's a Wakefield one!?

Bloody hell, just seen the score. This tour is certainly doing a great job of fostering excitement in tier 2 countries.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

I can only see Bennett going if he decides that himself.

His contract is up, for the RFL to renew right now would be a brave call.

Ultimately, overseeing this tour should be a big black mark against his coaching record.

• Like 2

a good book to buy just in time for xmas,

wayne bennetts karma sutra 

graphic illustrations on every page of people squeezing in to awkward and some times painful positions they were never built to be in, but beware the book has no spine and falls apart after the first few pages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Ultimately, overseeing this tour should be a big black mark against his coaching record.

The last two games have been poor for Bennett. The selection of out of position players and the lack of passion in the players, he has to take responsibility for this, and yes He can't be seen as a viable candidate for coach going forward. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I was really excited about Bennett's appointment but he is stuck in his ways now. It is not even a British/Australian coach thing. The coach needed to be prepared to get into the UK culture, domestic game etc. His treatment of players like Percival, Daryl Clark and a few others over the last couple of years shows it is his way or the highway. Well, he needs to head up the highway! He is done

I actually wouldn't be opposed to another Australian coach like a Trent Robinson. I just want to enjoy watching the national side play. Watching second rowers and half backs running around in the centres/wings in tier one test matches is nothing short of ridiculous.

We had 5 half backs in the 17 today and none of them could get the ball of the hooker!

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 4

Well, what to say after that? Bennett must surely go, that's for certain. Congratulations to PNG, they played well with lots of enthusiasm. Only Burgess and McGillvary showed up well for GB. Terrible team selection, caused by inexplicable squad selection. Great atmosphere at the ground, this will do wonders for PNG. As stated above, the only positive for GB is that the national press will ignore the game.

The whole tour has been a lost opportunity, we should have been building towards 2021 World Cup, blooding new players (Trueman, Evalds, Newman and Smithies), instead we played the old guard and a bunch of imported Aussies and paid the price.

Depressing

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I was really excited about Bennett's appointment but he is stuck in his ways now. It is not even a British/Australian coach thing.

If you remember back to Dec 17, we were all desperate for him to remain in charge after nearly winning the WC. How the worm has turned...

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 1

Well I didn’t bother to get up early , and watched it on record . Good idea because that was totally embarrassing . To be ran over for 28 straight points and cease to be a factor in the game is just a new low . Error strewn , leaderless , rudderless , clueless , everythingless. Yes they have some NRL stars but there’s guys there from QCup and league one . When we had the ball again our kicking was atrocious , our ball retention poor and are attack fizzling out to nothing .  Fitting end to a disastrous tour and the thing is by now , absolutely no one is surprised..

Word on Graham . Increasingly over the last couple of years it’s been uncomfortable watching the number of head and neck injuries and knocks he’s took . I wonder if  he needs to be maybe thinking about his future . He already talks a lot about brain injury and concussion .  He’s a warrior but he’s taking some stick and his effect in games is diminishing maybe with wear n tear 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

If you remember back to Dec 17, we were all desperate for him to remain in charge after nearly winning the WC. How the worm has turned...

But that is what happpens, right?  Things change over time.  Situations dont stay the same.  It is 2 years later.

8 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I think he has lost his mojo a bit. Things going wrong at Brisbane clearly affected him and he now has a new challenge at Souths. You cannot treat the 9s and a tour squad like he has done and have any faith his heart is in it for 2 more years. 

He has looked for easy outs on this tour like Hill, Graham, Widdop and some Aussie heritage players hoping to grind out a couple of wins based on high completions. In reality, he needed to be pensioning off (or resting) a few players and blooding some new players to see what they were made of ahead of 2021. If you take Trueman give him a start v PNG. And FFS wing is now one of the most important positions on the field.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

If only France can kick on a bit we would have around 8-10 strong nations. Wales And France both deserve more support as they both are based around home born talent and as such expand the playing pool. 

Its a shame France did not play in PNG too. 

That PNG are not based around heritage players is amazing for game as it suggests there is potential for alot more talent to come from there and for this win to be one that will be repeated in coming years against Elite sides. 

Definitely PNG learnt alot from having the Knights tour there last year. 

Hopefully PNG get more home games in coming years. 

Are you including GB/england as one of the eight?