John Drake

Sat 16 Nov: Test: Papua New Guinea v Great Britain KO 7.30am (UK Time) (BBC2)

Who will win?  

73 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/11/19 at 07:30

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

That’s just ludicrous. As poor as we’ve been this series, we’re lightyears ahead of those clowns. 

Remind me not to sit next to you at parties ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Few points I’d like to make. One of them from a biased point of view. The squad selection from the start was an absolute joke. 

For this particular game we needed to move the ball in the humidity. Watts with his ball handling and offloads would have been ideal. 

No creative loose forward takes out 1of your playmaker options, Graham playing there was a joke, and not a funny 1. No pace in the outside backs, and the fact Blake Austin was our best winger sums it up.

just go Bennett.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Are you including GB/england as one of the eight?

Yes of course. I know its been a very bad tour results wise, yet England /GB are capable of next year and the year beyond turning it around. NZ lost 4-2 to Fiji in 2017 And a year later, they beat OZ 26-24. So I'm hopeful for England to turn it around. 

Overall its a good time for international RL. PNG and Tongas wins make it alot more competitive and exciting. Now if only France could put in a really good performance and come within 12pts of England in a match. France seem to lack size and physicality though, if only they could draft in some residency Anglo Muscle for that pack. It would not be a bad thing for France to have the permission to pick up to 3 players on residence. The issue is though with only one SL team, and one that sees itself as Catalan first and French second, and has to avoid Relegation  the Dragons alone can't do that much for the National team. Two Guaranteed 2 SL Spots for France, and 2 more French teams in the Championship would do alot more IMO as without threat of Relegation there is alot more incentive to play French players. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that this is the biggest PNG team I've seen physically. That extra size makes alot of difference as RL may be a skill game however muscle And speed is a massive part of it too. 

The PNG Hunters are proving a real success as they are getting players signed up to NRL and SL sides, even if not all are regular players. They have also added some good Heritage talent, which is making a difference to their overall quality. 

It seems the opportunity to play at a higher level over a period of time which the Hunters in the QLD has done, does produce more players. It just needs to be done over a period of time, as it takes a few years for players to come through. 

Edited by Southerner80
  • Like 4

There was nothing good about this tour apart from the kit.

I’m just gonna pretend it didn’t happen to be honest.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

That’s just ludicrous. As poor as we’ve been this series, we’re lightyears ahead of those clowns. 

While I agree I don't see France actually beating us anytime soon, I feel France merit some regard. If we gave them an annual game like OZ do with PNG, it would help alot. 

France is the biggest market for RL out there at international level that presently has a half decent side. With all due respect to Canada, despite the best efforts of TWP the national team would be lucky to be within a 100 points of OZ. 

France can sell 14k tickets for a home game. 

I know it's the PM13 that OZ send out, however it's a annual fixture in PNG against the world's best. 

We should give France that too. A anuual home game against a world class team. 

PNG sometimes get hammered sometimes are close, and as yet haven't won this game, however it is important for RL to expand the international game by playing these games. 

Union respects Italy despite them not winning a game in the 6N for the last 3 years and 15 attempts, it helps Union grow as they play these games regularly. 

If England played v France around every Bastille day and Les Dracs got the weerknd off SL it would be something for French RL. 

Its not inconceivable for a fired up French side at home vs a SL only English side to be competitive and make it a good game and keep it within 20 points and dare to dream that they can win. Look at Japan in Union, or PNG today for the inspiration. 

Edited by Southerner80
  • Like 1

Didn’t watch it as I worked last night and fell asleep as soon as I got in.

Which was nice. 

The best thing you can do is follow Tonkas advice there and pretend this whole thing never happened. Good news for PNG though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Southerner80 said:

I feel France merit some regard. If we gave them an annual game like OZ do with PNG, it would help alot. 

France is the biggest market for RL out there at international level that presently has a half decent side. With all due respect to Canada, despite the best efforts of TWP the national team would be lucky to be within a 100 points of OZ. 

France can sell 14k tickets for a home game. 

I know it's the PM13 that OZ send out, however it's a annual fixture in PNG against the world's best. 

We should give France that too. A anuual home game against a world class team. 

PNG sometimes get hammered sometimes are close, and as yet haven't won this game, however it is important for RL to expand the international game by playing these games. 

Union respects Italy despite them not winning a game in the 6N for the last 3 years and 15 attempts, it helps Union grow as they play these games regularly. 

If England played v France around every Bastille day and Les Dracs got the weerknd off SL it would be something for French RL. 

Its not inconceivable for a fired up French side at home vs a SL only English side to be competitive and make it a good game. 

We’ve done that before. We had annual games with them, they were one sided, poorly attended and dull. They won’t be any better now. 

Their organisation is pretty poor by all accounts and their national side has become a bit of a basket case and has resulted in them not putting what many would suggest is their strongest side on a pitch at the same time for years. 

They need to get their house in order before that ever looks like a possibility. 

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Didn’t watch it as I worked last night and fell asleep as soon as I got in.

Which was nice. 

The best thing you can do is follow Tonkas advice there and pretend this whole thing never happened. Good news for PNG though.

I’m sure Bennett is thinking the same . Everything was just a mess which got worse ...Must say seeing Sinfield at the start today with the title ‘ director of rugby RFL ‘ wasn’t inspiring either 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

We’ve done that before. We had annual games with them, they were one sided, poorly attended and dull. They won’t be any better now. 

Their organisation is pretty poor by all accounts and their national side has become a bit of a basket case and has resulted in them not putting what many would suggest is their strongest side on a pitch at the same time for years. 

They need to get their house in order before that ever looks like a possibility. 

GBRL......’Hi, let me show you round my glass house’ 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m sure Bennett is thinking the same . Everything was just a mess which got worse ...Must say seeing Sinfield at the start today with the title ‘ director of rugby RFL ‘ wasn’t inspiring either 

I do wonder how people get roles like that. What exactly qualifies him to be Director of Rugby?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I can understand what you are saying however the last time England played away in France it was a Saturday night game and a pretty good crowd in Avignon. It wasn't a bad game either and was competitive early on. 

Also, while it may not be a great game, for the casual fan it's still England v France and still means something. 

I feel France won't have a reason to get their house in order if they don't have regular games to play against the best. 

Again, PNG were a bit of a mess a few years back with some of their best players not turning out for them and the situation at the 2010 4 Nations, however giving them WC games, the Hunters and a regular schedule has helped. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do wonder how people get roles like that. What exactly qualifies him to be Director of Rugby?

Indeed . Top player so top administrator ? Big leap .  That is , or sounds , a big job too

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Not saying we’re perfect but we’re lightyears ahead of them. 

This is exactly what Australia probably think about playing us - and probably soon PNG. Whilst you’re  correct in that France are shambolic, the answer is not to ignore them but to play them regularly, even more often than the annual game we had in the mid 00’s briefly. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

This is exactly what Australia probably think about playing us - and probably soon PNG. Whilst you’re  correct in that France are shambolic, the answer is not to ignore them but to play them regularly, even more often than the annual game we had in the mid 00’s briefly. 

I've just been going back through and the number of times we played France in a one-off fixture is a handful. Most times it was as part of an international series, European Nations Cup or similar. Matches in France have drawn, this century, consistently 12-16k. Matches over here might have lacked atmosphere but I can't see that we ever got less than 7.5k. Not masses but when the alternative is, "Shall we make an International All Stars XIII again?" I'm not sure we can be choosy.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I've just been going back through and the number of times we played France in a one-off fixture is a handful. Most times it was as part of an international series, European Nations Cup or similar. Matches in France have drawn, this century, consistently 12-16k. Matches over here might have lacked atmosphere but I can't see that we ever got less than 7.5k. Not masses but when the alternative is, "Shall we make an International All Stars XIII again?" I'm not sure we can be choosy.

And who knows, if something happens regularly, maybe people and players get in the habit of getting involved?

Or is a random game every few years (maybe) a more RL approach and should be kept up? 

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

7 super league titles, 3 world clubs challenges, 3 LLS, 2 challenge cups a golden boot  2 harry Sunderland awards and a lance Todd trophy. 

Director of rugby isnt coach.

It also isn't a player.

It's fair to question what qualities we are looking for in the role. Is it an administrator, an ambassador or something else?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

And who knows, if something happens regularly, maybe people and players get in the habit of getting involved?

Or is a random game every few years (maybe) a more RL approach and should be kept up? 

What we should definitely do is moan that England/GB never seem to know quite how to play ... and then not give them any fixtures for the better part of a year until throwing them into a series against Australia

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

7 super league titles, 3 world clubs challenges, 3 LLS, 2 challenge cups a golden boot  2 harry Sunderland awards and a lance Todd trophy. 

Just because you were good at playing doesn’t necessarily translate into ability in a management/admin role. Not saying KS isn’t the best man for the job but playing honours mean nothing with respect to this.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

How do those qualify him to be director of rugby at the RFL . And what does the job mean ?

1 minute ago, Cowardly Fan said:

It also isn't a player.

It's fair to question what qualities we are looking for in the role. Is it an administrator, an ambassador or something else?

He has just handed Richard Agar a full time contract at Leeds so I don't think we should be questioning his eye for talent! ? 

• Haha 5