Jump to content
John Drake

Sat 16 Nov: Test: Papua New Guinea v Great Britain KO 7.30am (UK Time) (BBC2)

Who will win?  

73 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more
      3
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
      11
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
      17
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
      11
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
      21
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more
      10

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/11/19 at 07:30

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

7 super league titles, 3 world clubs challenges, 3 LLS, 2 challenge cups a golden boot  2 harry Sunderland awards and a lance Todd trophy. 

Director of rugby isnt coach.

How do those qualify him to be director of rugby at the RFL . And what does the job mean ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cowardly Fan said:

It also isn't a player.

It's fair to question what qualities we are looking for in the role. Is it an administrator, an ambassador or something else?

He has just handed Richard Agar a full time contract at Leeds so I don't think we should be questioning his eye for talent! 😉 

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

7 super league titles, 3 world clubs challenges, 3 LLS, 2 challenge cups a golden boot  2 harry Sunderland awards and a lance Todd trophy. 

Director of rugby isnt coach.

Is it a prize for being a player who wins trophies?

Cos nothing listed there explains his current position.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

7 super league titles, 3 world clubs challenges, 3 LLS, 2 challenge cups a golden boot  2 harry Sunderland awards and a lance Todd trophy. 

Director of rugby isnt coach.

It also isnt player.

So what makes him qualified as DoR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Is it a prize for being a player who wins trophies?

Cos nothing listed there explains his current position.

It was an utterly bizarre reply wasnt it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

It also isn't a player.

It's fair to question what qualities we are looking for in the role. Is it an administrator, an ambassador or something else?

But it isnt a coach. A director of rugby didnt call up Handley and not play him, he didnt decide the tactics.

He puts in place the structures and preparations behind the scenes and there hasnt really been any negative comments around those. 

Changing your director of rugby when you sack the coach removes a big reason behind having a director of rugby, that is providing continuity 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It also isnt player.

So what makes him qualified as DoR?

What makes anyone qualified for a director of rugby position?

Its utterly preposterous to pretend that achievements in rugby league arent relevant qualifications for a position of director of rugby.

We have a coach, we dont need another one on top of Bennett. So who becomes DoR in your ridiculous world where playing achievements are irrelevant?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

7 super league titles, 3 world clubs challenges, 3 LLS, 2 challenge cups a golden boot  2 harry Sunderland awards and a lance Todd trophy. 

Director of rugby isnt coach.

So none then.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What makes anyone qualified for a director of rugby position?

Its utterly preposterous to pretend that achievements in rugby league arent relevant qualifications for a position of director of rugby.

We have a coach, we dont need another one on top of Bennett. So who becomes DoR in your ridiculous world where playing achievements are irrelevant?

Achievements on a field do not qualify you to be director of rugby!

  • Like 3

Patwigaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

OFFLOAD!!!

Not allowed, too risky for Bennett, just kerp running it in and get smashed about, that's the game plan. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It also isnt player.

So what makes him qualified as DoR?

Must be the outstanding work he's doing at Leeds !!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m thinking and hoping we might be seeing a sea change in the international game, I hope the Tonga result was the beginning of more power to the Pacific nations.

This may well mean that we slide down the international rankings, but today’s result can only be good for the long term future of the international game.

  • Like 3

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 7723 said:

Achievements on a field do not qualify you to be director of rugby!

Sinfield also has a Bsc in Sports Science and a Masters degree in Sports Business and Management, I’m not saying that qualifies him for the england and GB role but he’s not just got the qualifications on the field

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Must be the outstanding work he's doing at Leeds !!!

He’s actually doing a good job in shifting the dead wood we have accumulated in the last few years I think he's got rid of 19 players from the 2018 squad, the Leeds rebuild will take a good few years it won’t be a quick fix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Sinfield also has a Bsc in Sports Science and a Masters degree in Sports Business and Management, I’m not saying that qualifies him for the england and GB role but he’s not just got the qualifications on the field

Thanks (genuinely) - that's a more useful answer.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

He’s actually doing a good job in shifting the dead wood we have accumulated in the last few years I think he's got rid of 19 players from the 2018 squad, the Leeds rebuild will take a good few years it won’t be a quick fix

I'm sure fans of other Superleague teams hope he carries on doing such an outstanding "job" on Leeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

This is exactly what Australia probably think about playing us - and probably soon PNG. Whilst you’re  correct in that France are shambolic, the answer is not to ignore them but to play them regularly, even more often than the annual game we had in the mid 00’s briefly. 

It is if it’s not profitable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

I'm sure fans of other Superleague teams hope he carries on doing such an outstanding "job" on Leeds.

Who said outstanding?

Sinfield throughout his career has proved his critics wrong i think he will in his role at leeds too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

What we should definitely do is moan that England/GB never seem to know quite how to play ... and then not give them any fixtures for the better part of a year until throwing them into a series against Australia

Exactly.  In my view, whoever the coach, whoever the players, whether out of position or not, we need to play together more often.  We've been in catch up mode for years, yet don't seem to be catching up.  

If we are serious about international success, we need to try harder, for longer, more often, in a way that attracts the fans. The problem is that there is it seems not enough money in the game to pay for a proper approach from us to internationals. Reducing club games for more internationals (and associated dedicated training and practicing in a meaningful way, not in the current weak and feeble way) will not get past the SL chairmen because of revenue loss. Internationals as they are now, shunned by many paying fans, don't seem to be anyway near replacing that. 

  • Like 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Sinfield also has a Bsc in Sports Science and a Masters degree in Sports Business and Management, I’m not saying that qualifies him for the england and GB role but he’s not just got the qualifications on the field

Yes, I was surprised that they weren't brought up tbh. Far more important than team trophies.

A few years ago the RFL were criticised for not utilising past players, I think they may have gone q little too far the other way now.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

What we should definitely do is moan that England/GB never seem to know quite how to play ... and then not give them any fixtures for the better part of a year until throwing them into a series against Australia

I thought Bennett made a fair point in his press conference. England beat the Kiwis 2-1 in a home series last year and also a mid-season game in Denver. This year, we didn't have a game until we turned up in Hamilton to play Tonga. It's not his job to organise fixtures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It is if it’s not profitable. 

As GJ has alluded, crowds have been ok ish. Enough to not lose money  I’d imagine. And even if they do make a loss, it would pay dividends in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...