Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Jacksonville Axemen

7 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Which century did you go to school if you didn't play basketball??

Every school has a sports hall with basketball nets??

Are you seriously saying the only sport you played in high school was rugby? I find that hard to believe!

I was in a school that learnt multiple sports with boys and girls playing all sports with no stereotypical divisions...

Also depending on the criteria basketball is the national sport in many countries... might not be the most popular mind. I also found out the national sport of Scotland is golf??

Now US RL. I think the game is too fast for them but there is definitely a market.

RL has a footprint in the US and there could be a pro club with feeder teams unlike Canada.

The fact that you say high school shows you are fairly young- I went to secondary school lad - we played Cricket, football, Rugby and on some occasions we swam and I think we did Athletics and hockey once - just to tick the school done that book then back to Rugby as our school team had a game against and other school every other week.

Never even saw a basket ball, but as I say the girls seemed to enjoy it as they didnt get too sweaty.

4 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

The fact that you say high school shows you are fairly young- I went to secondary school lad - we played Cricket, football, Rugby and on some occasions we swam and I think we did Athletics and hockey once - just to tick the school done that book then back to Rugby as our school team had a game against and other school every other week.

Never even saw a basket ball, but as I say the girls seemed to enjoy it as they didnt get too sweaty.

At least we know what fuels your general ignorance...

What's your thoughts on the axeman?

19 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I went to grammar school , we played football , cricket and athletics 

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

I don’t know anything about basketball and nor do I want to, I’d rather watch paint dry. However I do know it isn’t the second sport in the world and it is not the main sport in some of the counties you are quoting. 

Not my cup of tea either, but I’d say it probably is the second biggest sport in the world, certainly in terms of geographic spread (cricket and one billion Indians often gets brought up to counter the basketball claim, of course the % of Indians that actually play or watch cricket is only a fraction of the population...the 3/4 empty test venues give even less credence to such a claim). Basketball is widely played in UK and Ireland schools, although it’s more a recreational activity rather than one that is actually followed. Played quite a bit of it myself and like many people we had a basketball hoop outside, but I’ve never watched a full game. Appreciate how highly skilled the players are (globetrotters are amazing) but the gameplay doesn’t interest me...scoring is too formulaic and repetitive...’nearly seven foot guy puts ball into empty hoop, 20 seconds later, nearly seven foot guy puts ball into empty hoop’...back and forth this process happens for the whole game. With scoring being so straightforward and common it takes away the significance of a score (when your team scores you know in 20 seconds time the opposition in all likelihood is going to do the same) so there isn’t that ecstatic reaction (by viewers and players)....bar maybe right at the very end if it’s a game winning score. If a team wins by say 10 or 15 points then that’s an entire game without one ecstatic moment.

For those that can overlook the scoring system in basketball, the skills exhibited are enormous, so its not hard to see why it’s an attraction for so many. It’s a game that allows individuals to shine...the players area afforded so much freedom to exhibit their talent on the ball, hence so many stars are created. With contact being so minimal, it’s in sharp contrast to the rugby codes, but the drawback to the rugby codes is players are shut down with both increasingly attritional due to the bulking up of players, tighter defensive strategies, introduction of wrestling, etc. So while basketball has its Magic Johnsons and Michael Jordans, the rugby codes has nobody today...the last star in RU was Lomu, the last RL star here was probably Offiah..and in both cases when the codes afforded individuals more space (freedom) to stand out and excel. I hear the likes of rugby league publisher Phil Caplan asking “how do we create stars in the game”...and then suggests things like “putting them on gameshows” etc...which is putting the cart before the horse. They will be on gameshows when the sport itself makes them stars, and they will become stars if and when the game returns to being more open and expansive allowing talent to stand out. Not only would Rugby (both codes) have more stars in a more open game (which would mean more jerseys of your favourite player bought, and more viewers who want to see them), but participation would also start rising again as a more open game is more enjoyable to play. 

7 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

National Sporting Curriculum -

Pupils should be taught to:

 use and develop a variety of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in team and individual games [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders, rugby[both codes] and tennis]. 

 develop their technique and improve their performance in other competitive sports,[for example, athletics and gymnastics], or other physical activities [for example, dance]

 take part in further outdoor and adventurous activities in a range of environments which present intellectual and physical challenges and which encourage pupils to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group

 continue to take part regularly in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs.

In Ireland, the three main sports were football, Gaelic football and hurling. Basketball was also played, though it tended to be more a popular option for the tallest in the year group. Rugby Union, we had one PE session in five years (a RU player came in for a session). Only time I’ve ever held a rugby ball (bar maybe in a sports shop).

In terms of participation and popularity, the most interesting subject for me has always been rounders (it was never on our school Curriculum like in England, but it is hugely popular outside of school). A game invented here (England to be precise), for children, and played by children here, yet somehow, having been exported to the US it became the national pastime there, and one played by adults. It also further pops a previous poster’s theory about “better” sports getting in there first as an explanation why they become popular...rounders was here first, and it’s popularity here never went beyond kids who it was invented for. It’s a game I loved as a kid and have only fantastic memories of playing it. Unfortunately some (usually from across the water) seem to take offence when this historical origin is brought up. They are the same folk that over a century ago shouted “no rounders” during the farce that was the Mills Commission into determining the origin of baseball, which led to the Doubleday Myth (the fake origin of baseball) until it was debunked 50 years by actual historians who stated it was rounders (itself originally named base-ball).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, yipyee said:

At least we know what fuels your general ignorance...

What's your thoughts on the axeman?

Love the Axemen, a mate of mine lives in Toronto (now watches the Wolfpack even though he follows union) and he has away weekends with his local RU team. I went over a few years ago and we stopped off for 1 night to see the Axemen play.

Do you have any thoughts on them or are you just obsessed with netball?

10 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Love the Axemen, a mate of mine lives in Toronto (now watches the Wolfpack even though he follows union) and he has away weekends with his local RU team. I went over a few years ago and we stopped off for 1 night to see the Axemen play.

Do you have any thoughts on them or are you just obsessed with netball?

Who mentioned netball?

That is also a sport that is more global than RL but is completely different to basketball. Different rules different amount of players on a field but with the same method of scoring it is as mentioned similar to the differences in union and league.

13 hours ago, yipyee said:

Which century did you go to school if you didn't play basketball??

Every school has a sports hall with basketball nets??

Are you seriously saying the only sport you played in high school was rugby? I find that hard to believe!

I was in a school that learnt multiple sports with boys and girls playing all sports with no stereotypical divisions...

Also depending on the criteria basketball is the national sport in many countries... might not be the most popular mind. I also found out the national sport of Scotland is golf??

Now US RL. I think the game is too fast for them but there is definitely a market.

RL has a footprint in the US and there could be a pro club with feeder teams unlike Canada.

I went to high school in Leigh from 1998-2003 and we never played basketball either, despite the basketball nets. 'Indoor' sports were badminton, trampolining, gymnastics and circuit training. Outdoor were football, RL, cross country running during winter, with athletics, rounders and a small amount of cricket during summer.

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Who mentioned netball?

That is also a sport that is more global than RL but is completely different to basketball. Different rules different amount of players on a field but with the same method of scoring it is as mentioned similar to the differences in union and league.

Netball / Basketball it's all the same - as I said the girls seemed to like it.

Amazing you hang out on a RL forum given your negative views on the sport kid.

Holy some of people have problems admitting anything is good if it isn't your favourite. 

Basketball isn't netball.

Baseball isn't rounders.

It takes great skill to be the best in the world at any sport.

It's childish.  For a group of people that can get fired up over whether someone uses "rugby/rugby league/league" , it's astounding the lack of respect shown to other sports.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

Holy some of people have problems admitting anything is good if it isn't your favourite. 

Basketball isn't netball.

Baseball isn't rounders.

It takes great skill to be the best in the world at any sport.

It's childish.  For a group of people that can get fired up over whether someone uses "rugby/rugby league/league" , it's astounding the lack of respect shown to other sports.

Plenty of skill in pro basketball , but I lose interest after 3/4 minutes of constant scoring , enjoyed playing it , but boring as hell to watch 

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I went to high school in Leigh from 1998-2003 and we never played basketball either, despite the basketball nets. 'Indoor' sports were badminton, trampolining, gymnastics and circuit training. Outdoor were football, RL, cross country running during winter, with athletics, rounders and a small amount of cricket during summer.

Sounds like a good mix of sports.

Odd that your school never played basketball as they clearly had the nets and kit... Your PE teacher wasn't called Mr Frisky by any chance??

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Netball / Basketball it's all the same - as I said the girls seemed to like it.

Amazing you hang out on a RL forum given your negative views on the sport kid.

It's not all the same. But heyho some people will never admit they are at fault.

I wouldn't say I have negative views and I would say my views are in line with a lot of other fans.

My views on the sport is that it lacks a strategic plan and therefore stumbles on a chaotic path. This is at a domestic and international level.

The only good planning appears to be with the world cup cycle and continued growth of inclusion. I wouldn't mind some transparency around the funds generated and tender process mind.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Bedford high per chance? I Had exactly the same 

2 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

The skill of being really tall? 😂

Pretty hard to teach that.

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Plenty of skill in pro basketball , but I lose interest after 3/4 minutes of constant scoring , enjoyed playing it , but boring as hell to watch 

100% agree. I watched a magic vs heat game a few years ago and left after the first half. Most boring 10 minutes of my life God knows how people watch it longer than that. Fun to play awful to watch.

Anyway the USARL doesn't seem to have any teams on the west coast, is there a different league running over there or just no teams?

There’s something called the California Rugby League trying to kick off but until this point RL has mostly been played in the eastern part of the country. Pacific Islanders mainly live out west so it’s a place RL will want to try to grow.

2 hours ago, westside said:

There’s something called the California Rugby League trying to kick off but until this point RL has mostly been played in the eastern part of the country. Pacific Islanders mainly live out west so it’s a place RL will want to try to grow.

I read about a new league starting in Texas a while back too. So there are people trying to give it a go in various places in America. 

18 hours ago, DC77 said:

Not my cup of tea either, but I’d say it probably is the second biggest sport in the world, certainly in terms of geographic spread (cricket and one billion Indians often gets brought up to counter the basketball claim, of course the % of Indians that actually play or watch cricket is only a fraction of the population...the 3/4 empty test venues give even less credence to such a claim). Basketball is widely played in UK and Ireland schools, although it’s more a recreational activity rather than one that is actually followed. Played quite a bit of it myself and like many people we had a basketball hoop outside, but I’ve never watched a full game. Appreciate how highly skilled the players are (globetrotters are amazing) but the gameplay doesn’t interest me...scoring is too formulaic and repetitive...’nearly seven foot guy puts ball into empty hoop, 20 seconds later, nearly seven foot guy puts ball into empty hoop’...back and forth this process happens for the whole game. With scoring being so straightforward and common it takes away the significance of a score (when your team scores you know in 20 seconds time the opposition in all likelihood is going to do the same) so there isn’t that ecstatic reaction (by viewers and players)....bar maybe right at the very end if it’s a game winning score. If a team wins by say 10 or 15 points then that’s an entire game without one ecstatic moment.

For those that can overlook the scoring system in basketball, the skills exhibited are enormous, so its not hard to see why it’s an attraction for so many. It’s a game that allows individuals to shine...the players area afforded so much freedom to exhibit their talent on the ball, hence so many stars are created. With contact being so minimal, it’s in sharp contrast to the rugby codes, but the drawback to the rugby codes is players are shut down with both increasingly attritional due to the bulking up of players, tighter defensive strategies, introduction of wrestling, etc. So while basketball has its Magic Johnsons and Michael Jordans, the rugby codes has nobody today...the last star in RU was Lomu, the last RL star here was probably Offiah..and in both cases when the codes afforded individuals more space (freedom) to stand out and excel. I hear the likes of rugby league publisher Phil Caplan asking “how do we create stars in the game”...and then suggests things like “putting them on gameshows” etc...which is putting the cart before the horse. They will be on gameshows when the sport itself makes them stars, and they will become stars if and when the game returns to being more open and expansive allowing talent to stand out. Not only would Rugby (both codes) have more stars in a more open game (which would mean more jerseys of your favourite player bought, and more viewers who want to see them), but participation would also start rising again as a more open game is more enjoyable to play. 

In Ireland, the three main sports were football, Gaelic football and hurling. Basketball was also played, though it tended to be more a popular option for the tallest in the year group. Rugby Union, we had one PE session in five years (a RU player came in for a session). Only time I’ve ever held a rugby ball (bar maybe in a sports shop).

In terms of participation and popularity, the most interesting subject for me has always been rounders (it was never on our school Curriculum like in England, but it is hugely popular outside of school). A game invented here (England to be precise), for children, and played by children here, yet somehow, having been exported to the US it became the national pastime there, and one played by adults. It also further pops a previous poster’s theory about “better” sports getting in there first as an explanation why they become popular...rounders was here first, and it’s popularity here never went beyond kids who it was invented for. It’s a game I loved as a kid and have only fantastic memories of playing it. Unfortunately some (usually from across the water) seem to take offence when this historical origin is brought up. They are the same folk that over a century ago shouted “no rounders” during the farce that was the Mills Commission into determining the origin of baseball, which led to the Doubleday Myth (the fake origin of baseball) until it was debunked 50 years by actual historians who stated it was rounders (itself originally named base-ball).

Hi Kerry,

Good to see you have toned your hate of RL down for this forum compaired to the views you air on the BBC Have Your Say forum.

Any actual thoughts on the Axemen?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It is borderline horrible to watch today. They have changed the rules to the point where defense doesn't exist. It was much better when scores were in the 80-90 range and defending was allowed. 

I've never understood the appeal of sports that have constant scoring. It's the same with Australian Rules.

17 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Bedford high per chance? I Had exactly the same 

Got it in one! Best RL side in the borough. Not bad considering St. John Fisher had Joel Tomkins and Chris Ashton in their side.

• Like 1