Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

Play-the-ball clampdown

Recommended Posts

Well I’ve seen 2 friendlies thus far. There was one correct play the ball in each game that ended up as knock ons lol. Maybe friendlies don’t count 


sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Well I’ve seen 2 friendlies thus far. There was one correct play the ball in each game that ended up as knock ons lol. Maybe friendlies don’t count 

My hope is that now it’s officially official we may see a demonstrable difference. That’s my hope, anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ivans82 said:

Wrong........it lasted as far as the first tackle !

To be fair, the PTBs have been somewhat cleaner with more use of the foot, fewer hands-in and less playing the ball as a means to regain feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

To be fair, the PTBs have been somewhat cleaner with more use of the foot, fewer hands-in and less playing the ball as a means to regain feet.

It was better in the game last night than in the Wigan Warrington game which felt just like 2019.

Last night there were a few ridiculous one's that got through but a relatively small number and overall it was better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Last night there were a few ridiculous one's that got through but a relatively small number and overall it was better.

Er I just thought the refs had decided to ignore the clamp down as much as the players.


"If songs were lines/In a conversation/The situation would be fine."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It was better in the game last night than in the Wigan Warrington game which felt just like 2019.

Last night there were a few ridiculous one's that got through but a relatively small number and overall it was better.

The ref did a good job by penalising Saints (Welsby) early doors. Set the tone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The ref did a good job by penalising Saints (Welsby) early doors. Set the tone.

He did, but I felt he could have blown up a couple more around the same time.

I remain convinced that if the refs blew up 2 or 3 at the beginning of every game the whole thing could be sorted out.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, it's no wonder Welsby was penalised, If you watch Academy games the play the ball is e even worse than Super League.

But it took him exactly one play the ball to rectify it so solving the problem is a matter of conviction rather than anything more complicated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

He did, but I felt he could have blown up a couple more around the same time.

I remain convinced that if the refs blew up 2 or 3 at the beginning of every game the whole thing could be sorted out.

First game NRL under the guidelines ... Dragons penalised twice very early ( that’s why I remember it ) and from then on it was a seamless transition . Any incorrect ptb now is easily spotted because it’s so rare . It’s not difficult when they’re shown early that they have to do it . It’s purely a bad habit they’ve been allowed to get away with . The argument that there’d be loads n loads of penalties is wrong I believe . They adapt rapid when they have to

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2020 at 20:54, Dunbar said:

Absolutely.  Since the introduction of lifting in the lineout, the throwing team has a very significant advantage.  The win rate on a teams own throw is around 90% (for international teams anyway).

I can assure you Northampton's will be no where near 90%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2020 at 07:56, shaun mc said:

 

The defensive line can move up as soon as the ball leaves the scrum halfs hands. 

Depends on the ref - at least at community level... Some have it as the above but the majority will allow defense to move once the 9 has lifted it from the ground

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2020 at 17:42, DavidM said:

Responsibilities of the player in possession
The tackled player shall:
a . without delay regain his feet where he is tackled,
b . lift the ball clear of the ground,
c . face his opponent’s goal line,
d . place the ball on the ground,
and make a genuine attempt to play the ball with the foot and maintain his balance.

 

i don’t disagree with you in general . It shouldn’t be difficult 

For me the "genuine attempt" phrase just ruins the whole thing. One of the biggest issues is the arbitrary nature of lots of penalties due to the 'interpretation' of so many rules. Why not just make the rule, players have to play the ball with the foot? No interpretation required.

I feel the ref's have too much influence on results because of these interpretations, with some games feeling like they are as contrived as WWE. I don’t blame the ref's for it, rather the parameters/guidelines rather than rules they have to officiate by.

It makes me wonder how the captains challenge in Australia will work. Will captains ask for reviews at the ptb or for laying on and the ball steal rule in games that are in the balance?

 

Edited by DOGFATHER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

For me the "genuine attempt" phrase just ruins the whole thing. One of the biggest issues is the arbitrary nature of lots of penalties due to the 'interpretation' of so many rules. Why not just make the rule, players have to play the ball with the foot? No interpretation required.

I was thinking about this as well and I think you are spot on.

If we enforce the law as laid down to play the ball with the foot then the ref has the option of displaying a bit of discretion if someone makes a genuine attempt to play the ball with the foot.

But if the guideline says just make a genuine attempt to play the ball with the foot, how does a ref allow discretion for a genuine attempt to make a genuine attempt... we are right back to where we started. 

We just make it hard for ourselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

Why not just make the rule, players have to play the ball with the foot? No interpretation required

Yes indeed

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...