14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Bob, I saw some curves yesterday that make us look almost identical to Italy, just a couple of weeks behind, yet we had the advantage of more knowledge and an apparently younger demographic (and one that lives apart from older people in general). Based on the radical actions we took (going against pretty much everyone else, and the specific WHO advice), wouldn't we have hoped for some better results than we are getting?

Even just based on the two advantages above, if they are genuine advantages we should have seen better results than Italy - if our results are the same or worse, couldn't it be said that is down to our approach? 

I accept this is flawed as not all other things are like for like, but all the things that explained Italy's high impact seem to still impact us. 

It does seem the call was wrong. I am reluctant to condemn it, particularly as we do not know how it will go.

I do think that the preparation now is far worse than it was a decade ago and the Government are getting away with something that the Trump administration has not.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Work from home!

Self isolate!

Let's contain this!

Nope.

They're all in Tesco spreading the virus. Car park full at 7.30 (again).

5 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Work from home!

Self isolate!

Let's contain this!

Nope.

They're all in Tesco spreading the virus. Car park full at 7.30 (again).

Yep, I didn't go down tesco at this time yesterday but know someone who did and they said car park was rammed and must have been queues of people hundreds of metres long. I went about 10am and the place was stripped bare, like a plague of pasta-addicted locusts. 

I only went for some pasta, quorn mince (I've started a diet recently), soup, bread and cat food. Managed to get the bread but wasn't exactly spoilt for choice, got the two tins of soup I was restricted to, not many more left after that anyway, no quorn at all so ended up with turkey mince and some chicken sausages, both low in fat but also some of the last meat left, I guess people don't like those things (whack a sauce on them and you can't taste it anyway) and not one single pack of pasta, rice or spaghetti but did find a small pack of rice abandoned elsewhere in the shop so took that (I'm assuming the person had too many in their trolley). Decided to stock up on mog food cos that'll be the next thing people are panic buying after they realise they've got masses of stock for themselves but have forgotten about their animals, and to top it off, somehow two bottles of whisky (well one whisky, one whiskey) jumped into my basket. 

Original shopping list:

Wholemeal bread

Quorn mince

4 tins of soup

Pasta

Spaghetti

Cat food

Result:

White bread

Turkey mince

Chicken sausages

2 tins of soup

Abandoned rice

Lots of cat food

2 bottles of whisky/whiskey

The young generation are coming out of this best to my observation.

The old people are ignoring it.

The middle aged are bulk buying.

The young are not ceoncerned, but seem to be staying in to protect the old.

• Like 5

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Just been to Tesco to get some shopping for isolated family members, was pretty quiet (obviously busier than normal). Plenty of empty shelves, but plenty of food if you are happy to improvise. 

Fortunately I enjoy tandoori prawns on spaghetti hoops. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Just been to Tesco to get some shopping for isolated family members, was pretty quiet (obviously busier than normal). Plenty of empty shelves, but plenty of food if you are happy to improvise. 

Fortunately I enjoy tandoori prawns on spaghetti hoops. 

That's what I've found. There's actually a lot of stock in, it just might not be what you prefer but if the government forces you to be inside, whos being picky? Plenty fish and sausages for example whilst beef/pork/chicken has been sold out for quite some time. Similarly, shelves are rammed of fresh pasta, which I've frozen, but can't get dried pasta for love nor money.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Celt said:

You believe that?

Every other country has gone down a different route, and the UK appears to be about-turning in the face of criticism.

I believe a scientific paper written by experts in the field of the spread and containment of disease an awful lot more than the opinion of someone on here. There has been a plan to impose sanctions from the start, but as the snippet says timing of that imposition is as important as the imposition itself. As you say almost every country is doing things differently. No one will know whose strategy was best until it's all over, including 2nd, and perhaps further, waves.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

That's what I've found. There's actually a lot of stock in, it just might not be what you prefer but if the government forces you to be inside, whos being picky? Plenty fish and sausages for example whilst beef/pork/chicken has been sold out for quite some time. Similarly, shelves are rammed of fresh pasta, which I've frozen, but can't get dried pasta for love nor money.

Fresh pasta freezes great. Just throw boiling water on it straight from the freezer, and 5 minutes simmering later its done. Throw on a large spoonful of philadelphia (with flavourings or not) stir in quickly before it splits and then have pasta n sauce

• Like 4

After epic bread search last night. 

Resolved to get my daughter's meal deals for pack lunch. 

Drove past Tesco express on way to school, many people scurrying away with carrier bags full of shopping. Decided not to stop there, went to local post office, they had 3 loaves of Warburtons left. 

I didn't get them all, i didn't even get 1. Despite the dramas of last night's search. 

Got them meal deal sarnies instead. 

Respect for others. Resist the Panic. 

• Thanks 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I don't think it helps much separating people into groups and stereotyping them after conducting a bit of amateur research at times like these. 

Families are made up of young, middle aged & old.

Communities are made up of young, middle aged and old.

Nations are made up of young, middle aged and old. 

All in it together. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I don't think it helps much separating people into groups and stereotyping them after conducting a bit of amateur research at times like these. 

All in it together. 

Of course, it was intended to be light hearted 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Fresh pasta freezes great. Just throw boiling water on it straight from the freezer, and 5 minutes simmering later its done. Throw on a large spoonful of philadelphia (with flavourings or not) stir in quickly before it splits and then have pasta n sauce

thanks for the tip, never frozen fresh pasta, will probably start doing so now!

14 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

All in it together. 

Based entirely on the subjective thing of my Facebook acquaintances and friends, that works for me as well as Bob8.

My younger family members (20-early 30s) are sad that they can't do things but have accepted it with grace.

My older family members (60+) are generally unhappy that their lives are being interrupted but are accepting their fate whatever it brings, whether it's 40 more years of life or an excrement-happens outcome.

The mid-30s to mid-50s lot are overwhelmingly acting like panicking toddlers. The scare stories they're putting around and the pictures of their hoarding runs want to make me thrash them with a large stick. One of my cousins who refused pasta when he was round ours for tea one time a few years ago, he apparently hated the texture, had a picture up of two large bags full of dried pasta he'd got when a store had just restocked. Another thought I was a right wuss for having soya milk with two boxes of UHT soya milk, I seriously doubt he'll drink the stuff.

So, I tend to agree with Bob8, it's not the youngsters or old folk who I'm seeing being the thwaites in this one.

Again, this is based entirely on my own family and friends list.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Not quite , there was a piece on Look North (for Cumbria/North East ) where it showed the University had closed  and this particular street was their local watering place . Pubs were full,bouncers on the doors and queues outside ,........... in the afternoon .

• Like 1

As a light point, one of our running threads at work is post-COVID-19 and how we'll ensure all the deferred stuff is caught up in the best time possible.

One stream is lots of Christmas babies are expected this year ?

42 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Not quite , there was a piece on Look North (for Cumbria/North East ) where it showed the University had closed  and this particular street was their local watering place . Pubs were full,bouncers on the doors and queues outside ,........... in the afternoon .

Have to say, I'm seeing idiots and heroes from pretty much all ages and backgrounds.

I'm trying to be as forgiving as possible of idiots because we are all worried but when you drive past Morrison's at 8 in the morning and see that the car park is absolutely rammed *again*, it does make you slightly despair of some people.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

Respect for others. Resist the Panic. 

The perfect motto.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Decided to stock up on mog food cos that'll be the next thing people are panic buying after they realise they've got masses of stock for themselves but have forgotten about their animals,

Already happening. Went into the B&M in Stowmarket yesterday to buy some litter for my Mother's cats and the two pet food/litter/bedding aisles had been completely stripped.

SitRep;

Got a text message my shift has changed to a 2pm 10pm from a 10am 8pm in an effort to split workforce. So everyone loses 2 hrs a day! 

So am now sat outside same supermarket as I was on paddys day on my birthday day off when I was posting on here. 

As others have mentioned, yes many people are now stockpiling on beer! There are ridiculous amounts of alcohol products coming out of the door in trolleys. 

The main thing I'm thinking is that people are behaving like rats do with their food. Seriously. It's not good when people have degenerated to the level of rats in the space of a week and a half. 

It's been a right headache, a real pain in the bum not being able to get paracetamol.

Not been panic buying,  though, as the freezer and cupboards are full and we've already got 10 packs of dogfood, though we don't yet have a dog. Still, you never know....

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 6

Four legs good - two legs bad

10 hours ago, Bearman said:

My rain check to come to yours is still ok I hope.

Yup...I got the perfect place to isolate to...only problem is no running water yet...still too cold....other than that she is open.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It's been a right headache, a real pain in the bum not being able to get paracetamol.

Not been panic buying,  though, as the freezer and cupboards are full and we've already got 10 packs of dogfood, though we don't yet have a dog. Still, you never know....

You can always trade it...might have to go back to the barter system for awhile.