Thu 30 Jan: SL: Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/01/20 at 19:45

I enjoyed it. Good to be back. Bit of everything and a better game than you usually get in January. Wire wouldve won but for Hill.

Everyone naturally looked rusty. Both teams, and the ref. The commentators were well off the pace too, lots of wrong names. Hopefully everyone will be match fit soon.

The famous PTB clampdown? Failed to notice it.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That first line of the tweet - When it says the highest AVERAGE audience for an opening game in six years, what exactly does that mean?   Surely it’s THE highest audience of the six years...?   Or am I being really stupid?

1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

That first line of the tweet - When it says the highest AVERAGE audience for an opening game in six years, what exactly does that mean?   Surely it’s THE highest audience of the six years...?   Or am I being really stupid?

There were actually 20 000 people there, but most of them were supporting Wigan and left early, so the average attendance over the whole match was only 15 040.

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

There were actually 20 000 people there, but most of them were supporting Wigan and left early, so the average attendance over the whole match was only 15 040.

Of course how stupid of me! ?

I saw a few pot bellies on the crowd shots - if we factor in the average male weight against them (say 1.4?) we could probably boost our attendance figures and sell ourselves to sponsors better.

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

And in answer to your original question, I assume it's referring to the tv audience size, not the in-ground attendance. Presumably that does vary through the evening.

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

And in answer to your original question, I assume it's referring to the tv audience size, not the in-ground attendance. Presumably that does vary through the evening.

Wow didn’t realise they actually monitored whether viewers lasted the full match.

I assume it was still the Wigan fans who switched channels with 10 minutes to go? ☺️

I'm not really sure why they needed the two different lines tbh. If it is the highest average audience for a round 1 game for 6 years (the more impressive stat), then by default it is the highest opener for the last 6 years too!!! Had it been longer than 6 it was worth separating, but otherwise, it's a bit dumb.

Interesting reading this thread back.  I watched the game until the 2nd half with the sound off as I was on a call.  At half time though I remember looking at the screen and  thinking "who is that big, dopey, looking lump sat in the changing room shaking his thigh?"  Shocked to find out it was George Burgess.  Didnt recognise him at all. Hopefully he will get back fit sooner rather than never.

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Wow didn’t realise they actually monitored whether viewers lasted the full match.

I assume it was still the Wigan fans who switched channels with 10 minutes to go? ☺️

BARB log TV viewing in short chunks of time (20 minutes, I think), so they can also track whether there's a peak or trough within the broadcast slot of a programme. If these are Sky's figures, I'd assume they do something similar.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Sorry if this has been covered.  Any idea why Burgess was taken off after 15 minutes?  (other than being sat on his ###### by BMM).  Was surprised not to see him again in the second half.

He has a hip injury, which kept him out of pre season. Given that Bullock, Flower and Greenwood didn’t even make the bench, we have plenty of cover and can wait a while on his recovery. 

I thought it was a terrific game for round 1. Be interesting to see how the backs line up once Gildart and Manfredi are in the frame. French has a little bit of Amos Roberts about him, and it was interesting to see how much more conventional we looked with Hastings instead of Williams pulling the strings. A lot to like for us, and Wire looked very good as well. My hope for next week is that we come away from Cas with no long term injuries. We seem to have been cursed there in recent years...

2 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I saw a few pot bellies on the crowd shots - if we factor in the average male weight against them (say 1.4?) we could probably boost our attendance figures and sell ourselves to sponsors better.

Which team would top the stats at the end of the season if attendences were counted by weight?

Or by volume of beer consumed.

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Which team would top the stats at the end of the season if attendences were counted by weight?

Or by volume of beer consumed.

That’s a good question and deserves a poll of its own... ?

25 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

He has a hip injury, which kept him out of pre season. Given that Bullock, Flower and Greenwood didn’t even make the bench, we have plenty of cover and can wait a while on his recovery. 

I thought it was a terrific game for round 1. Be interesting to see how the backs line up once Gildart and Manfredi are in the frame. French has a little bit of Amos Roberts about him, and it was interesting to see how much more conventional we looked with Hastings instead of Williams pulling the strings. A lot to like for us, and Wire looked very good as well. My hope for next week is that we come away from Cas with no long term injuries. We seem to have been cursed there in recent years...

Hastings 7 and French 6. This ought to give French some freedom... He gave a long pass out from the middle to Marshall.  And an opportunity to Hastings to be the organiser. 

His aftermatch comments said preferred fullback, but to me defence is important and put Zac there. 

I should add that Lockers pass for French was a lucky one, since it probably was not aimed for him. 

56 minutes ago, Goughy said:

Interesting reading this thread back.  I watched the game until the 2nd half with the sound off as I was on a call.  At half time though I remember looking at the screen and  thinking "who is that big, dopey, looking lump sat in the changing room shaking his thigh?"  Shocked to find out it was George Burgess.  Didnt recognise him at all. Hopefully he will get back fit sooner rather than never.

It is very worrying that Burgess is in that kind of shape at the beginning of the season.

If he is nursing an injury, give him time to get fit.

If he has had a disrupted off season, give him time to get fit.

For me, to play him in that kind of shape leads to one of a few conclusions, none of which are great.

1. Wigan are happy to play an injured player or one that clearly isn't fit and won't give him the appropriate time (I really doubt that)

2. Burgess is not putting in the hard yards on the training pitch and is just fat and lazy

3. The hip injury he has nursed for a few years is not going to get better and this is the player he will be from now on

I hope it is none of the above and he gets fitter and better but it is not encouraging 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Cheshire Setter said:

Is that the supposed 'offensive' statement? 

I've heard worse from The Dalai Lama in a deep state of meditation.

Aye, that's why it was clearly staged. 

Headline of CEO wants to beat rivals :kolobok_biggrin:

But even though staged its all good stuff. 

On 31/01/2020 at 16:33, Exiled Wiganer said:

Yeah French reminds me of Amos Roberts.  He was untouchable for about 1/3 of a season, then got injured and never recovered - an absolute gutter.

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

Yeah French reminds me of Amos Roberts.  He was untouchable for about 1/3 of a season, then got injured and never recovered - an absolute gutter.

I'd love to have a time machine and race the two against each other.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived