Why are Salford’s attendances always so poor?

I think the main reason for Toronto being able to gather fans quicker than an English club would is because there is less direct competition. Similar to how if the NFL put a team in London they would be quite well supported but you're not going to get many people following a new soccer team in Manchester or a new CFL team in Toronto.

I think there's some truth in the sporting cultures making it easier too. There's definitely a vast difference in how teams are viewed between North America and Europe/South America. You can see that just by how North Americans call their teams "franchises" while that's considered an insult in the UK. Opposition fans taunt MK Dons fans with chants of "franchise fc" to mock their history which I imagine would seem a weird in America. This view is probably most prevalent in soccer but definitely appears in other sports too. 

There's not necessarily one way that's better than the other but the cultural differences do have to be considered.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t get where this thread has come from, if I’m honest.  Salford played Huddersfield on Friday night. It happened to be Valentines Day, the game was televised for Sky Sports and Storm Dennis

A few reasons. we lost a lot of HTFC fans due to a hate campaign led by their supporters association against Ken Davy, the ones who followed both were sucked in and found new found 'hate' for Ken

Any area struggling with lack of awareness of RL will have to build it from the grass roots. Can`t see it ever happening top-down. One option is a big push for Tag RL. Because of the strong contact el

3 hours ago, Quinskolar said:

Even the soccer club Salford City struggle to get crowds and this club is backed by 6 millionaires and a billionaire and they only charge £10 admission. The main issue apart from parking and transport is that the are has two of the biggest football teams in the world. Any RL side would struggle with this challenge. They took 30,000 to OT and if they can maintain that level of success crowds would grow. 

Salford are historically not very good with a stadium that's a pain to get to. They are also down the road from the biggest football team on the planet with Man City quickly catching them up and Liverpool nearby. Unless you come from generations of loyal fans why would you bother going when you can watch the football........If you are new to Rugby league and from the area you could go watch Wigan instead.

Rugby League in the UK just isn't cool......... especially Super League because for a professional pinnacle of the sport the coverage is quite formulaic and drab.......... sounds crazy but after the last couple of seasons listening to Barry and co I actually miss Stevo.

If it's exciting on TV more people will want to go to games.

I think RL fans are also affected by soccer more than any other sport in the UK..........I'd argue the vast majority of us also watch soccer regularly....lots will support soccer teams in the same area.

I think it would be hard for anyone who doesn't live here to appreciated how utterly dominant football is in England. RL aims for the same markets. Most will pick soccer over RL.

As for Sale they are the only top flight Rugby Union side north of Leicester....... they will draw support from all over the north from anyone daft enough to want to watch rugby union.

• Like 1

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

30 minutes ago, fevtom said:

I think the main reason for Toronto being able to gather fans quicker than an English club would is because there is less direct competition. Similar to how if the NFL put a team in London they would be quite well supported but you're not going to get many people following a new soccer team in Manchester or a new CFL team in Toronto.

I think there's some truth in the sporting cultures making it easier too. There's definitely a vast difference in how teams are viewed between North America and Europe/South America. You can see that just by how North Americans call their teams "franchises" while that's considered an insult in the UK. Opposition fans taunt MK Dons fans with chants of "franchise fc" to mock their history which I imagine would seem a weird in America. This view is probably most prevalent in soccer but definitely appears in other sports too. 

There's not necessarily one way that's better than the other but the cultural differences do have to be considered.

The main reason Toronto get fans is marketing and game day experience 

Toronto sounds like it has loads of different sports teams 

But they sold fans on the club and the game day experience not just the sport 

In sure any club could copy this and be successful 

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Salford can't because of the deal it has with the stadium owner. It looks great on paper, would be wonderful and a great way to pull people over from the Trafford Centre but just isn't possible with our finances and situation.

Just now, LR23 said:

Salford can't because of the deal it has with the stadium owner. It looks great on paper, would be wonderful and a great way to pull people over from the Trafford Centre but just isn't possible with our finances and situation.

Please koucash was there pumping in millions.  It went in the wrong places.  And he should never have been allowed to leave.  Madness.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

Please koucash was there pumping in millions.  It went in the wrong places.  And he should never have been allowed to leave.  Madness.

I'm not him - don't blame me. You won't get many arguments from the majority of Salford fans that although he saved the club from financial run his time in charge was littered by failures and misuse of resources. 

He's history though and this thread is about our current situation so it is irrelevant.

24 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

I'd suggest that it is quite vital that Toronto only has one team in each sport though and their catchment is absolutely huge in that regard when it comes to neighbouring teams, at least in sports other than CFL. Contrast that with London, for example, where it is literally a couple of miles between the likes of Chelsea, Fulham, Brentford, QPR etc.

45 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I'd suggest that it is quite vital that Toronto only has one team in each sport though and their catchment is absolutely huge in that regard when it comes to neighbouring teams, at least in sports other than CFL. Contrast that with London, for example, where it is literally a couple of miles between the likes of Chelsea, Fulham, Brentford, QPR etc.

Yes, but ...

The point is that in 2016, Toronto had virtually no one interested in rugby of either code, and very little awareness of the professional game. It's not that Wolfpack were coming into a known sport like baseball, basketball, hockey, soccerball or any version of gridiron. It's that they have been able to build a fanbase from nothing in just their fourth year in a sport that was brand new to the catchment area.

It's marketing and game day experience.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Loup said:

Yes, but ...

The point is that in 2016, Toronto had virtually no one interested in rugby of either code, and very little awareness of the professional game. It's not that Wolfpack were coming into a known sport like baseball, basketball, hockey, soccerball or any version of gridiron. It's that they have been able to build a fanbase from nothing in just their fourth year in a sport that was brand new to the catchment area.

Well done, and sincerely congratulations. But it’s not rocket science to understand that the two situations are different- culturally and financially. There is also the fact that rugby league is shiny and new in Toronto which goes well with the big matchday experience while it’s seen as jaded and unfashionable by many kids here.

I’m not saying Salford can’t do better on gameday experience and marketing (far from it) but we’ve very little money and need to weigh these things up more than clubs with deep pockets do.

4 hours ago, Loup said:

Yes, but ...

Not true.

The use of beer festivals and transport links was allowing Canadian Rugby League to hold internationals several years before which were well attended at the Lamport.

5 hours ago, aj1908 said:

they got a good location, end of.

Perez played the genius card like a footballer at the world cup who gets lucky goal.

we had it in manchester when the storm played at the arena.

Edited by TheLegendOfTexEvans

Looking at Salford's fixture list is interesting. 6 of their first 8 matches are at home. Then they don't play a home game between 18 March and 17 May, then four home games in a row followed by three away in a row. Four of the last five are then away.

Is there a reason that they seem to be playing in blocks? It probably doesn't help playing so many home games at first.

• Like 1

Twitter: @TrylineUK
Latest Blog: Squeezing the Gap?

37 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Not true.

The use of beer festivals and transport links was allowing Canadian Rugby League to hold internationals several years before which were well attended at the Lamport.

I went to 4 of those.

They were not well attended...and the beer was fosters...but it was an admirable effort and a good trial (and a good time).  I don't think you can call that the same thing as what the pack have done, or use it as any sort of real exposure to rugby league in the city

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

I went to 4 of those.

They were not well attended...and the beer was fosters...but it was an admirable effort and a good trial (and a good time).  I don't think you can call that the same thing as what the pack have done, or use it as any sort of real exposure to rugby league in the city

Well on paper they were well attended....

2013 Canada v USA 28th sept - 5,176,  6th July - 7,168,

2014 Canada v USA  7,356

Did you allow for the several thousand in the beer queue??

Edited by TheLegendOfTexEvans
On 16/02/2020 at 20:24, Padge said:

people who think a bit of success will bring dead people rolling back in are living in cuckoo land.

But it would bring a whole new meaning to the phrase resurrection of the club...

On 17/02/2020 at 07:08, TboneFromTO said:

It's faster to get to st Helens, Wigan and Warringtons grounds from central Manchester (Piccadilly gardens) for example then the ajbell. (Less transfers/walking too) why would someone who wants to check the sport out go all the way to the AJ Bell when time wise the other three options are quicker?

To the AJ Bell stadium from Central Manchester by bus on a Friday along the Liverpool Road is about an hour,. so Manchester Piccadilly to Warrington Central by Train would be quicker, Manachester Victoria to Wigan Wallgate would be an equivalent amount of time, but Manchester Victoria to St Helens Junction and walk or to St Helens Central by changing at Wigan Wallgate to go Wigan North Western would take longer. As would bus journeys to Wigan and St Helens.

But I take your point that public transport to the AJ Bell with Metrolink stoppoing at Eccles is poor. Unlike the old days at The Willows where the ground was near the Weaste tram stop on Metrolink.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

On 16/02/2020 at 20:24, Padge said:

people who think a bit of success will bring dead people rolling back in are living in cuckoo land.

But it would bring a whole new meaning to the phrase resurrection of the club...

On 17/02/2020 at 07:08, TboneFromTO said:

It's faster to get to st Helens, Wigan and Warringtons grounds from central Manchester (Piccadilly gardens) for example then the ajbell. (Less transfers/walking too) why would someone who wants to check the sport out go all the way to the AJ Bell when time wise the other three options are quicker?

To the AJ Bell stadium from Central Manchester by bus on a Friday along the Liverpool Road is about an hour,. so Manchester Piccadilly to Warrington Central by Train would be quicker, Manachester Victoria to Wigan Wallgate would be an equivalent amount of time, but Manchester Victoria to St Helens Junction and walk or to St Helens Central by changing at Wigan Wallgate to go Wigan North Western would take longer. As would bus journeys to Wigan and St Helens.

But I take your point that public transport to the AJ Bell with Metrolink stoppoing at Eccles is poor. Unlike the old days at The Willows where the ground was near the Weaste tram stop on Metrolink.

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER
Sorry Double Post

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

2 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Looking at Salford's fixture list is interesting. 6 of their first 8 matches are at home. Then they don't play a home game between 18 March and 17 May, then four home games in a row followed by three away in a row. Four of the last five are then away.

Is there a reason that they seem to be playing in blocks? It probably doesn't help playing so many home games at first.

toronto would like similar blocks at home

9 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

they got a good location, end of.

Perez played the genius card like a footballer at the world cup who gets lucky goal.

we had it in manchester when the storm played at the arena.

Good location ok that's it 

?

10 hours ago, Chris22 said:

What??? A team playing in blocks and not home and away every other week??? But I've been told numerous times that this "blocks" doesn't happen in RL

• Like 1
16 hours ago, aj1908 said:

It would have been great if Koukash (or someone with money)  was still there and pumping money into the right places. unfortunately he didnt want to take advice from people who had the best interests of the club at heart!  IMO the first thing he did which didnt help was paying massively over the odds for players (where have we heard this before).

He then single handedly wiped the Academy out and abolished it in full right before the season. pretty much shattering the dreams that all them young lads had of playing for salfords first team.

As im sure anyone can appreciate if something like that happened to your family member you wouldn't be in a rush to go and watch them, loss of fans instantly. 

Then there was the breaching of the salary cap and the blatent way which he did that.

Giving that Salford already had a small fan base you would think that the first thing you would want to do is keep them happy before then trying to attract new ones, Koukash didn't do this and was constantly on the attack against them further alienating them against the club. then there was the talk of the renaming of the club to Manchester! 

For all the money he invested we did absolutely nothing as a cub whilst he was there, only time we were in the press was for the wrong reasons, give me the guys who are currently running it on a shoestring any day of the week, the crowds are increasing (slowly) young lads from the area have a pathway to the first team, and there is a sense of pride in the shirt that has been instilled in the players from those in charge. 

A lot of credit has to go to both Ian Blease and Paul king (who actually put his own house down as collateral) for what they have done with zero budget, no backroom staff (now slowly coming into place) and a stadium where they make zero money from with the exception of match tickets.   

• Like 3
On 17/02/2020 at 18:47, Click said:

Wasn't tag rugby taken up by the RFU over here? So it counts in their participation numbers, etc. rather than being a League variant.

There is a version of Tag promoted by the RFU where there is no PTB. The ball-carrier just has to pass the ball when tagged. It`s a nonsense. There`s no structure to it, it`s not much more than a bunch of people milling around with a ball. This is why Tag is such an advantage for League, but only if we fix firmly in everyone`s minds the connection with our Tackle game.

• Like 1