Sign in to follow this  
Themusician_2

Why are Salford’s attendances always so poor?

16 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Please koucash was there pumping in millions.  It went in the wrong places.  And he should never have been allowed to leave.  Madness.

It would have been great if Koukash (or someone with money)  was still there and pumping money into the right places. unfortunately he didnt want to take advice from people who had the best interests of the club at heart!  IMO the first thing he did which didnt help was paying massively over the odds for players (where have we heard this before).

He then single handedly wiped the Academy out and abolished it in full right before the season. pretty much shattering the dreams that all them young lads had of playing for salfords first team.

As im sure anyone can appreciate if something like that happened to your family member you wouldn't be in a rush to go and watch them, loss of fans instantly. 

Then there was the breaching of the salary cap and the blatent way which he did that.

Giving that Salford already had a small fan base you would think that the first thing you would want to do is keep them happy before then trying to attract new ones, Koukash didn't do this and was constantly on the attack against them further alienating them against the club. then there was the talk of the renaming of the club to Manchester! 

For all the money he invested we did absolutely nothing as a cub whilst he was there, only time we were in the press was for the wrong reasons, give me the guys who are currently running it on a shoestring any day of the week, the crowds are increasing (slowly) young lads from the area have a pathway to the first team, and there is a sense of pride in the shirt that has been instilled in the players from those in charge. 

A lot of credit has to go to both Ian Blease and Paul king (who actually put his own house down as collateral) for what they have done with zero budget, no backroom staff (now slowly coming into place) and a stadium where they make zero money from with the exception of match tickets.   

• Like 3

On 17/02/2020 at 18:47, Click said:

Wasn't tag rugby taken up by the RFU over here? So it counts in their participation numbers, etc. rather than being a League variant.

There is a version of Tag promoted by the RFU where there is no PTB. The ball-carrier just has to pass the ball when tagged. It`s a nonsense. There`s no structure to it, it`s not much more than a bunch of people milling around with a ball. This is why Tag is such an advantage for League, but only if we fix firmly in everyone`s minds the connection with our Tackle game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Have Salford ever been particularly well attended?

I'm pretty sure they were in the 1970's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Looking at Salford's fixture list is interesting. 6 of their first 8 matches are at home. Then they don't play a home game between 18 March and 17 May, then four home games in a row followed by three away in a row. Four of the last five are then away.

Is there a reason that they seem to be playing in blocks? It probably doesn't help playing so many home games at first.

God knows - one of the reasons was a switched fixture with Hull KR as they had a concert on but that doesn't explain the rest. Ridiculous. Let's hope our away form is as good as last year.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:24, Padge said:

Image is everything in the modern world, RL in Salford is out of fashion.

Once the generation break is passed it is difficult to get a generation with no affiliation to take an interest, even if you are successful.

It will take a long time for Salford to recover to former attendances, people who think a bit of success will bring dead people rolling back in are living in cuckoo land.

Same applies to Huddersfield

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

28 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Same applies to Huddersfield

Correct, we've had 2 cup finals, a league leaders winner, 4 challenge cup semi finals, 3 super league semi-finals and our crowds are shrinking not growing.

On 18/02/2020 at 08:00, The Future is League said:

I really cant see what the Red Devils bring to Super League.

They certainly don't bring big crowds and certainly not locally produced players.

Newcastle and London even though not in Super League bring a lot more juniors through than the Red Devils and for a club that's been going for over 100 years that's very poor

Same logic with the Sale RU argument, London and Newcastle haven't got other clubs on their doorsteps to compete with like Salford have.

This whole "bring nothing to Super League" rhetoric is boring and tedious now.

I'm not a Salford fan, i support one of the other clubs who apparently "bring nothing to the game", but i tell you what Salford bring, they bring a good coach, a good team who brought unimagined pride and excitement to the league, not only for neutrals, but for their extremely, loyal, passionate, noisy, hardcore bunch of fans who quite rightly shed tears of joy when they made the final.

Compare the emotion of Salford fans to those of the big clubs whose fans politely applaud and go home for a cup of tea when they make yet another final, indeed, the Wigan and Warrington fans couldn't even be bothered going to their games!

Give me 2,000 loyal noisy Salford fans over 10,000 happy clapping Wigan, Warrington or St Helens fans anyday.

• Like 3

On 18/02/2020 at 08:47, aj1908 said:

What success have they had in attracting the younger generation 

Very little if truth be told, we have the oldest fanbase based on season ticket sales in the game, i think the majority of our support is aged 50+.

But as most people know, attracting the younger generation to anything these days is extremely hard, there is too many things for them to do which don't involve getting up, getting dressed and getting out!

On 18/02/2020 at 09:53, WSRD said:

I have posted previously over some of the points that you have made and I will repeat once again that the AJ Bell  Stadium  Company has listened to previous complaints and there has been a marked improvement in getting in and leaving the ground and my family come to each match some from Salford others from Cheshire and we can get to the ground easily, park up, have 10 minutes walk and get into our excellent seats.

The atmosphere is not good?How can you say that if you have only been once?

One cannot stand on one side, that goes back to the old days when the clubs were told what type of seating standing they needed to get a licence, Salford made the decision to do something about it, a couple of other clubs didn’t and got away with it but we might not have standing on one side but at least the away fans get a good seat, excellent view and can watch the game in comfort, unlike some grounds where the away supporters are treated like irritants.

The crowds have increased over the last two seasons and are up again this season as well so let’s see how it goes from here.

I no longer find it amazing that people who have hardly ever been to the AJ Bell can put themselves forwards as experts on what is required and furthermore have no idea what efforts the club are making on and off the field to take the club forward etc.

I tend to agree with a lot of what you say here, I've always found the stewards, turnstile operators, bar staff etc at Salford extremely friendly, welcoming and appreciative of your being there, compare to some other clubs, Salford are miles ahead in this respect, they even helped us put our flags up last week too!

Only gripe is that they forced all the Giants fans, albeit, not that many, into just 2 blocks of seating, meaning large groups who like to, couldn't really stand together.

I thought the atmosphere from both sets of fans was very good too, considering the crowd was 3,300, there was certainly more vibrancy and atmosphere about it than most grounds i go to.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, meast said:

...there was certainly more vibrancy and atmosphere about it than most grounds I go to.

You mean the John Smiths stadium don't you?

I don't like the Salford and Huddersfield bashing. Its not their fault they're in stadiums that are either a bit soulless or just plain too big. Put either in a Wheldon Road and suddenly its a tingling atmosphere. Huddersfield is one of my favourite away grounds to go to and whilst I don't like the AJ Bell the actual stadium experience is miles better than at most comparable sized clubs.

I've said previously on here that Moor Lane (Salford City FC) is an ideal size for Salford and whilst a commitment to the AJBell may keep them there, taking maybe a couple of their less well attended games a season to the football club may be a way to re-engage with the city of Salford. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dboy said:

You mean the John Smiths stadium don't you?

I go to every game home and away and if I'm honest, Salford is always one of the noisiest, ours isn't great no, like Salford though, we have a small but loyal fanbase who do their damnedest  to make the atmosphere better.

As other say, put our crowds, or Salfords in small, tight knit rust buckets like Wheldon road or Belle vue and the opinions would be different i imagine.

But no clubs playing in front of 18,000 empty seats will have a good atmosphere, Wigan is a perfect example, their stadium, with 15,000 empty seats is like a morgue, St Helens, Hull and Warrington not much better, they don't even really celebrate scores

Edited by meast

All the clubs with new stadia seem to suffer a lack of atmosphere, certainly when compared to their old ground.

It's great to have big stadia we can aspire to fill, but we don't seem to be making progress.

The most successful in terms of new stadia/great atmosphere is perhaps Wire.

If/when my club (Wakefield) get a new stadium/upgrade, I hope it captures something of the Wire/Leigh feel.

3 hours ago, dboy said:

All the clubs with new stadia seem to suffer a lack of atmosphere, certainly when compared to their old ground.

It's great to have big stadia we can aspire to fill, but we don't seem to be making progress.

The most successful in terms of new stadia/great atmosphere is perhaps Wire.

If/when my club (Wakefield) get a new stadium/upgrade, I hope it captures something of the Wire/Leigh feel.

Admittedly Leigh are probably an exception to the rule, but the atmosphere at LSV is 10 times than what it was at Hilton Park (in its final 15 years from when I started going to games, at least). Much as the old place holds many happy memories from growing up watching RL (and indeed football), the absence of a roof at either end meant any noise was lost in the wind, and the nature of the covered terracing meant you couldn’t necessarily get grouped together to the same extent as the North Stand these days.  

9 hours ago, daz39 said:

Correct, we've had 2 cup finals, a league leaders winner, 4 challenge cup semi finals, 3 super league semi-finals and our crowds are shrinking not growing.

As a fan of the club, what do you think is behind it shrinking?

Failure to convert them to silverware??

I'd love my team to be that "unsuccessful".

It can't have helped, that Hudds Town had their moment in the Premiership sun.

13 minutes ago, dboy said:

Failure to convert them to silverware??

I'd love my team to be that "unsuccessful".

It can't have helped, that Hudds Town had their moment in the Premiership sun.

Very good point. I've often wondered if SL teams sharing stadia or towns/cities with Premiership teams affects attendance figures. Did the Warriors figures drop when the Latics were in the Prem ? Or Hull FC or HKR. If the Elland Road mob get promoted will the Rhinos see a drop ? Possibly if they both have games on Sunday afternoon. 

In my experience of RL, which admittedly only goes back to 1957, Salford has always struggled to make headway, as have Swinton, too. Even in when both clubs had on field success, the money was just not there to develop the Willows, Station Road etc. 

I went to secondary school in Salford - 1957 to 1962 -and there was virtually zero interest in Salford from my classmates. Ours was a union school but even then, no one was interested in following that sport, either. 

It was all "United this, United that.... etc...." and the public transport system made it almost as easy to get from my home in Swinton to Old Trafford as it getting to the Willows. 

So Salford - and Swinton - were and still are, fringe areas for league and its going to take more than superhuman efforts to change that. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

How many Junior Amateur Rugby League Football Clubs enter teams in most / the majority of age grades in NWC Youth & Junior Rugby League? Based In the entire Salford City Area, including Swinton? 

Salford Red Devils have no surefire way of regenerating their own fanbase. 

If you want lifelong fans of the sport, you invest in making your own.....

If you play a sport growing up, the vast majority of times you take a keen interest in that sport the rest of your life.

11 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Very good point. I've often wondered if SL teams sharing stadia or towns/cities with Premiership teams affects attendance figures. Did the Warriors figures drop when the Latics were in the Prem ? Or Hull FC or HKR. If the Elland Road mob get promoted will the Rhinos see a drop ? Possibly if they both have games on Sunday afternoon. 

It's a few years ago but I did an experiment once comparing every team than in Super League with its nearest full time professional football club. In every single case, the football club was drawing a higher average attendance. I'm not sure it's as straightforward as Leeds United go up so Rhinos fluctuates, more that we've lost huge numbers to soccer before we even start.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Being brought up in Swinton, from birth to leaving for Atherton via Cheethem Hill in the mid 60s, and not being anywhere fit enough or skilled enough or tough enough to play for Folly Lane Juniors, I played with Moorside Juniors for a while in the early 1960s. Trust me, the youth game was hardly vibrant even then. Despite the best efforts of the coach, we hardly ever put out a full team and on occasions we had to borrow from our opponents.

Then a mate asked me to play for Manchester YMCA on Princess Parkway. Although I only played a few games and although that was for the 3rd team, we always managed to put out a full side. 

League has always had a marginal hold on the sporting consciousness of the area. When motorways brought far off places such as Wigan, Warrington and Snellins within an hours reach, it became clear where newcomers to the game would focus. 

Four legs good - two legs bad