Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Sat 29 Feb: SL: Toronto Wolfpack v St Helens KO 6pm

Who will win?  

71 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Toronto Wolfpack
      25
    • St Helens
      46

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/02/20 at 18:00

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm just starting to watch the match after being out... but have been following the score.

I will say Tony Rea is a much underused summarisor for Sky... miles better than anyone else they use.

You mean apart from calling Lomax Fage about 10 times that second half. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but you can spend money on it and make it less valuable , that is what they've done 

Make what less valuable? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hullste said:

What a muppet you are if you think that's not a red. There can be absolutely no argument luckily it didn't cause a serious injury. 

Ah bless, your first comment a cheap insult, there can be an argument because that’s exactly what I put forward. 


"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hullste said:

You mean apart from calling Lomax Fage about 10 times that second half. 

I'm not up to the second half yet... I am about 60 minutes behind the rest of you.

But yes, apart from that. If he mixed a few players up I will forgive that for the insightful and intelligent commentary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

Think you need to redefine your idea of outrage bud, I aren’t outraged or even surprised. As for your taxi comments, that simply isn’t true, there’s a sizeable number of RL fans falling over themselves to criticise each and every aspect about them. I expected a few to be sure, but the number of anti Toronto RL people has surprised me.

Still, if Toronto do go down, they can have their game back. 

Aye fair point about the word outrage, but it's toddler bed time round here and my posts can't get full attention! :kolobok_biggrin:

My point about the taxi is on this board. I only saw the post from muckymunsy (?) which was a clear anti-twp post. 

Anyway, on the actual season so far, I don't think they need to stress, things will look much better in the sun at the Lamport with packed stands. Would love to have been able to go with Wire but not on this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dave T said:

Aye fair point about the word outrage, but it's toddler bed time round here and my posts can't get full attention! :kolobok_biggrin:

My point about the taxi is on this board. I only saw the post from muckymunsy (?) which was a clear anti-twp post. 

Anyway, on the actual season so far, I don't think they need to stress, things will look much better in the sun at the Lamport with packed stands. Would love to have been able to go with Wire but not on this year. 

To be clear, if they go down it’s unfortunate but that’s life. It’s been a real tough baptism for them but let’s see come September. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Phil said:

Ah bless, your first comment a cheap insult, there can be an argument because that’s exactly what I put forward. 

Direct contact to the head with a shoulder is a red card all day long. The commentators like to question every decision that goes Saint's way but you accept that whe you are the champs, however they all called it to. There can be no complaints and to even argue something different is ludicrous. In my opinion you are just trying to get a reaction with comments like that so more fool me for responding to your utter tosh. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but you can spend money on it and make it less valuable , that is what they've done 

I'm not sure its been long enough to make that judgement yet. 

Tonight was a low point, but if they could get a couple of wins soon and get big crowds in Canada things will look more positive quickly. 

And maybe have the balls to tell SBW to get a grip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hullste said:

Direct contact to the head with a shoulder is a red card all day long. The commentators like to question every decision that goes Saint's way but you accept that whe you are the champs, however they all called it to. There can be no complaints and to even argue something different is ludicrous. In my opinion you are just trying to get a reaction with comments like that so more fool me for responding to your utter tosh. 

Bye then xx

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Freedom without socialism is privilege and injustice, socialism without freedom is slavery and brutality" - Mikhail Bakunin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, Saints were trying all right. In my view they were more physical, more determined, faster all round. They committed numbers to each tackle. They played as a team and seemed to know what they were doing. 

Toronto, on the other hand, seemed slow by comparison, had no plan or identifiable style of play.  Too many mistakes, poor discipline too.  Nowhere near as smart as Saints when it came to generating penalties.

It has to be bad coaching: bad analysis and prep about how Saints play,  that sort of thing.

I really want the Toronto adventure to work, for them to be successful in SuperLeague. I trust that the owners don't buckle under the all the negativity, otherwise their solution might be to forget Superleague and drive expansion into North America from Australia.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

who they got next?


the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

How the hell do you know that? That’s utter nonsense. He’s just had a new child, maybe he’s affected by being on the other side of the world? Don’t tell me, that’s his tough sh it? 

FFS you are totally deluded man, SBW is supposedly one of the best Rugby Players in the world at either code, the idiots at Toronto obviously thought so that is why they have paid him so much. When LMS went over for the Saints I thought to myself there are two seecond row forwards  on this field opposing each other, both north of 30 years old, one who plays with his heart on his sleeve, hits every ball  as though it is the last he will ever handle, tackles as though his life depends on it, and leads his team mates on by example, then the other is SBW, if you watched the game instead of thinking what happens you would have observed tge same as everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will get them next time!...we have lulled them into a sense of complacency.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Do me a favour Dave, it’s pea brained small mindedness based on the fact they are outsiders. Fair criticism is always valid, indeed essential but this isn’t it. People are talking gleefully about it as if it’s the first time any team has had a string of bad results, including unbelievably Huddersfield fans. That takes some brass neck and a memory like a sieve. 

All the criticism I've seen on this thread has been pretty fair. There are a few that get carried away, but it's not much different in numbers to the group that will defend pretty much anything the Wolfpack do. 

Ultimately this forum is becoming a reflection of society as a whole, entrenched divisions and double standards that play out on thread after thread without any willingness to enter an reasoned debate. Toronto do have huge potential for the future of rugby league and have brought a lot to the game in terms of publicity, but that doesn't stop the fact that the have made error after error this year, including a big player welfare issue in assembling such a small squad. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toronto's first six weeks were always going to be hard. Adjusting to life in superleague while having a pretty hard draw, and playing away from home. It's way too early to be in crisis mode.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

FFS you are totally deluded man, SBW is supposedly one of the best Rugby Players in the world at either code, the idiots at Toronto obviously thought so that is why they have paid him so much. When LMS went over for the Saints I thought to myself there are two seecond row forwards  on this field opposing each other, both north of 30 years old, one who plays with his heart on his sleeve, hits every ball  as though it is the last he will ever handle, tackles as though his life depends on it, and leads his team mates on by example, then the other is SBW, if you watched the game instead of thinking what happens you would have observed tge same as everyone else.

When exactly did I argue that he played well? See if you can find that bit.

What I did say was that perhaps he has other distractions in his life at the moment. OK you can argue that he’s a professional and should ignore it but it’s not that straightforward. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t give a toss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

All the criticism I've seen on this thread has been pretty fair. There are a few that get carried away, but it's not much different in numbers to the group that will defend pretty much anything the Wolfpack do. 

Ultimately this forum is becoming a reflection of society as a whole, entrenched divisions and double standards that play out on thread after thread without any willingness to enter an reasoned debate. Toronto do have huge potential for the future of rugby league and have brought a lot to the game in terms of publicity, but that doesn't stop the fact that the have made error after error this year, including a big player welfare issue in assembling such a small squad. 

That’s exactly what I was on about, what you say is fair comment. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ghost crayfish said:

Toronto's first six weeks were always going to be hard. Adjusting to life in superleague while having a pretty hard draw, and playing away from home. It's way too early to be in crisis mode.

It's not just that GC , it's the manner of it , in the post match both Makinson and Lomax cited the poor conditions , so why were Toronto giving up possession cheaply in their own half over and over again in the first half ? 

I'm all for not following the RL ' playbook ' of 5 drives and a kick , but in the conditions ( I am 8 miles from Warrington ) as they are you play the position game , get the ball as near to the opposition line and chase the mistake ,yes if you are 3 score down with 20 to go , then chance your arm , you've nothing to lose , but as I said earlier , they committed suicide , so that's either incompetence or arrogance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

When exactly did I argue that he played well? See if you can find that bit.

What I did say was that perhaps he has other distractions in his life at the moment. OK you can argue that he’s a professional and should ignore it but it’s not that straightforward. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t give a toss.

Perhaps ? Do you know for sure or are you just trying to defend an overpaid and seriously underperforming player. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

When exactly did I argue that he played well? See if you can find that bit.

What I did say was that perhaps he has other distractions in his life at the moment. OK you can argue that he’s a professional and should ignore it but it’s not that straightforward. It doesn’t mean he doesn’t give a toss.

I'd suggest he's had it a bit too easy for too long playing for the ABs , he needs to get his head around the fact he's playing in a bottom 3 SL squad , and if he isn't up for a fight , then leave and let them get somebody in who is 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's get some perspective here regarding the game and the crowd...

Toronto lost.

To the best team in the country.

On someone else's ground.

Not even in Canada.

At teatime.

On a Saturday.

In February.

In ghastly weather.

 

And the upshot is that by the end of the season (a) they won't be relegated and (b) will still have higher average home attendances than more than half of Super League.

 

 

 

  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Toronto's first six weeks were always going to be hard. Adjusting to life in superleague while having a pretty hard draw, and playing away from home. It's way too early to be in crisis mode.

If it wasn't due to a weird coincidence some might even call it a 'setup'?  For example, if we were allowed to actually play our home games at home that might go a long way to increasing the attendance and atmosphere...bright lot these SL folks.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

I'm surprised that McDermott has set up Toronto with this 'devil may care' approach, which simply isn't working for them and I don't think will over the season. 

It's like they thought that because they could just either overwhelm or at least outscore opponent in League 1 and the Championship, they could just continue to do that in SL with essentially the same squad.

I really didn't think that McDermott was so naive...

That was my exact thought, they've literally had to do nothing to win games for 3 years and are presuming that will still work in Super League.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...