Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

I agree. Money talks here - unfortunately rugby league can't afford to play games behind closed doors. It would finish the likes of Salford (my club). Postpone seems the only option.

Unfortunately that will also impact player welfare in another way - a fixture pileup later in the season isn't going to do them any favours either.

For most RL clubs this should be something they should have been preparing for. 

And that lack of income over a sustained period could prove disastrous. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

45 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I give some advice to the Rugby League bodies on the contingency plans they should have in place to respond to the coronavirus.

https://www.totalrl.com/closing-the-doors-but-playing-the-game/

Just one point regarding this comment in the article ....

"So the game will go ahead in what no doubt will feel like an eerie atmosphere, in other words no atmosphere at all. It is bound to have a significant, but unforeseen, impact on the performances of the players."

Why an eerie atmosphere or no atmosphere at all and an impact on players' performances ?   Amateur matches take place all the time with small crowds and never seems like there's no atmosphere while those players' performances never appear to be affected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Just one point regarding this comment in the article ....

"So the game will go ahead in what no doubt will feel like an eerie atmosphere, in other words no atmosphere at all. It is bound to have a significant, but unforeseen, impact on the performances of the players."

Why an eerie atmosphere or no atmosphere at all and an impact on players' performances ?   Amateur matches take place all the time with small crowds and never seems like there's no atmosphere while those players' performances never appear to be affected.

Amateur players expect to play in front of very small crowds, so the atmosphere of a small crowd for them is normal.

Super League players expect to play in front of sizeable, noisy crowds. So the contrast is almost certain to feel eerie to them.

• Like 1

If Super League is postponed, when will the games be fit into an already bulging calendar that sees the big showcase events, Magic, Wembley and OT, already booked in? 

I wouldn't like to see the sport carry on behind closed doors. Setting aside the financial impact, the various competitions would become little more than an academic exercise.

If the situation escalates to that point then suspending the season is the lesser of two evils IMO. It would also be a more effective containment strategy and would reduce the (admittedly low at present) risk of infection for players, officials and the various staff members involved.

• Like 1

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

I would think that SL would need to have extensive consultations with Sky before postponing the season. If large numbers of people are forced to stay at home, TV companies might expect rather higher than normal ratings. Sky have a contract and would expect it to be honoured. Maybe they could be persuaded to cough up a little extra and televise all of the games that can't be played without a crowd present.

Obviously there isn't much that can be done if players themselves have to self-isolate.

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Amateur players expect to play in front of very small crowds, so the atmosphere of a small crowd for them is normal.

Super League players expect to play in front of sizeable, noisy crowds. So the contrast is almost certain to feel eerie to them.

But surely many of the players progressed from the amateur leagues so are used to it. In fact many matches in League 1 are also played in front of small crowds.

even if the season is postponed sky could still choose a game a week for tv, this could also prove a bonus for the lower leagues with bigger crowds and more games on tv.

• Confused 1

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time

2 minutes ago, my missus said:

even if the season is postponed sky could still choose a game a week for tv, this could also prove a bonus for the lower leagues with bigger crowds and more games on tv.

I’m not quite sure you get any of this. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All “ifs” and “buts” at this stage. If there comes a time when a decision has to be made, it’ll be divisive. 

Whatever happens the economic impact will be felt far and wide, inside and outside of sport. 

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’m not quite sure you get any of this. 

why?

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time

The situation which Catalans face is extremely unfortunate.

The idea that every other club should be unnecessarily forced to take similar huge financial losses for the sake of equality..... is frankly potty.

2 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

But surely many of the players progressed from the amateur leagues so are used to it. In fact many matches in League 1 are also played in front of small crowds.

It's a psychology thing. 

Almost certainly insurance won't cover it. Read today football clubs are not covered, same insurance for all sports clubs likely. Unless you specify what cover is needed. This virus could not have been predicted. 

I hate to say it but I think we should indefinitely suspend the rugby league season.

And only resume it once this ? is sorted out.

And depending on when things can resume the fixtures lost will just have to remain lost.

Do clubs have any kind of insurance to cover a situation like this? Do Sky pay any money if no content is provided? If not, some clubs would be bankrupt were the season to be cancelled.

Why would Sky pay if no content is provided?  If Sky isn't able to broadcast something, then they'll too have their own financial hardship as why would their subscribers, many of which will need to go through their own belt tightening, keep paying for something they are not getting value from?

For a number of clubs they maybe doomed either way, as their costs aren't going to completely disappear if they're not playing (they'll still be expected to pay staff, players, etc) but at the same time Sky and their respective partners, could rightfully say they're not going to pay a cent until they get what they paid for.

Arguably, the compromise might be that the league continues to fulfil its broadcast commitments, with all other games postponed.  What games are broadcasted would need to be mixed up, but it could see teams playing only once a fortnight (or longer gaps) with matches possibly played at smaller venues to reduce costs.

This would help minimise the risk for players, or at least provide them adequate recovery windows if they got the virus, whilst still ensuring that some sort of money keeps coming in, especially if this drags on for months.   

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

7 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I hate to say it but I think we should indefinitely suspend the rugby league season.

And only resume it once this ? is sorted out.

And depending on when things can resume the fixtures lost will just have to remain lost.

What would that achieve? You may as well play on behind closed doors, at least we will be picking up the sky money. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

For most RL clubs this should be something they should have been preparing for. 

And that lack of income over a sustained period could prove disastrous. 

Pandemic contingency plans seem a bit extreme for rugby league clubs, unless you mean they should have been planning since Covid became news a couple of months ago. 

• Like 1