Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

13 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

The problem is the unknown. If it was known that we needed to plan for 1, 2, 3 months things could be done, games as double headers behind closed doors sold extra to TV to recover costs, scrapping the play-offs and going to a top 2 GF, extending the season, knocking the loop fixtures, rescheduling around the CC, cancelling the magic weekend. 

But its an unknown, this might be the first and only match behind closed doors, we might have games postponed, we might have issues around clubs actually being able to put squads out as players are sick and self-isolate. How is that fairly applied etc. So much is unknown that the game can only respond to events as they arise. 

If it gets anywhere near the worst case scenarios then i can see some clubs struggling to survive and struggling to complete the season. Hopefully we wont get near that. 

Finally we get rid of loop fixtures!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

11 hours ago, Copa said:

Don’t the clubs or SL have insurance to cover these scenarios?

This isn’t something that has ever happened before so I doubt it. The Scottish FA have said they won’t compensate lower league clubs if games are forced to be played behind closed doors.

Its worry, especially for clubs like Huddersfield and Salford as well as lower league clubs

The NBA has suspended its season after a Utah Jazz player tested positive for the coronavirus.

And in Australia Tom Hanks is a victim.

It only seems a matter of time to me before a Rugby League player goes down with the virus.

And from that point onwards we can say goodbye to the 2020 season, at least for the time being.

12 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

The situation which Catalans face is extremely unfortunate.

The idea that every other club should be unnecessarily forced to take similar huge financial losses for the sake of equality..... is frankly potty.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we play behind closed doors for equality unless I'm missing something.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LR23 said:

I agree. Money talks here - unfortunately rugby league can't afford to play games behind closed doors. It would finish the likes of Salford (my club). Postpone seems the only option.

What are you on about?

I thought Salford have been playing behind closed doors for years.

You can bet your bottom dollar, if infections continue in UK and Aus like they are in Italy, you can expect amateur and junior sport to be suspended.

Surely if SL stops, all amateur and junior RL stops.

8 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

What are you on about?

I thought Salford have been playing behind closed doors for years.

Are you not a bit embarrassed that not only have thousands of people cracked this 'joke' before you, but you also couldn't even manage an original way to phrase it? 

• Like 2

I have the impression that you completely underestimated this pandemic. The virus is everywhere in France and it is only a question of days or hours for you too, players, staff etc will also be affected and all the competitions will be stopped.

We are part of the same community and we must be united; Leeds' attitude towards the Dragons is totally stupid.

Let's be smart because we're going to need it!

• Like 2

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

7 minutes ago, fcl said:

I have the impression that you completely underestimated this pandemic. The virus is everywhere in France and it is only a question of days or hours for you too, players, staff etc will also be affected and all the competitions will be stopped.

We are part of the same community and we must be united; Leeds' attitude towards the Dragons is totally stupid.

Let's be smart because we're going to need it!

What are you rattling on about? 

This time last week France had fewer cases than we do now. Whatever is happening in France and Spain now, it's likely to be the same over here in a week.

If we can somehow ensure the safety of players and officials, surely we could stage games behind closed doors and maybe even cover every game live on Sky - maybe even for a bit more money from Sky - who may benefit financially from this kind of thing as subscriptions may increase during any quarantine period.

If games are to be played behind closed doors, fixtures can be arranged, rearranged, moved at short notice too.

We could literally become a TV sport for a while.

• Like 2

MODERATING NOTE:

Please keep this subject exclusively to the impact on rugby league with things like game cancellation notices, worries about crowds and so on. I don't want to see important things like cancellations lost in a swamp of other posts.

This is the thread you should use for non-rugby items. Political commentary on it should go here.

• Like 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

As threads on coronavirus are spreading on here as fast as the virus is spreading elsewhere, I've merged all the currently existing ones here (with the exception of the Catalans v Leeds match thread), so we don't get anymore, and the discussion remains focused.

So:

1. If you want to discuss the impact of the virus on the sport of Rugby League, do it in this thread and don't start any others.

2. If you want to discuss the general impact of the virus on the world in general, do it in this thread in Any Other Business.
https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/348518-coronavirus/

3. If you want to discuss, specifically, the political impact of the virus and argue the toss about the way in which the UK government is managing the situation, do it in this thread in the Politics Sub Forum.
https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/350095-coronavirus-politics-thread/

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dragons - Leeds free to air on youtube

• Thanks 1

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

15 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

All “ifs” and “buts” at this stage. If there comes a time when a decision has to be made, it’ll be divisive. 

Whatever happens the economic impact will be felt far and wide, inside and outside of sport. 

The budget yesterday with all the contingencies and commitments to assist and 'give'  money away tells me that they are privvy to information they choose not to disclose, just wait till the City of London financial guru's really get stuck into this, and start to manipulate the stock market - in many cases if I dare say for self preservation - should the virus really take hold the financial impact will will make 2008/9 crisis seem like a ripple in the water.

Edited by Harry Stottle

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The budget yesterday with all the contingencies and commitments to assist and 'give'  money away tells me that they are privvy to information they choose not to disclose, just wait till the City of London financial guru's really get stuck into this, and start to manipulate the stock market - in many cases if I dare say for self preservation - should the virus really take hold the financial impact will will make 2008/9 crisis seem like a ripple in the water.

Ahem...

As threads on coronavirus are spreading on here as fast as the virus is spreading elsewhere, I've merged all the currently existing ones here (with the exception of the Catalans v Leeds match thread), so we don't get anymore, and the discussion remains focused.

So:

1. If you want to discuss the impact of the virus on the sport of Rugby League, do it in this thread and don't start any others.

2. If you want to discuss the general impact of the virus on the world in general, do it in this thread in Any Other Business.

3. If you want to discuss, specifically, the political impact of the virus and argue the toss about the way in which the UK government is managing the situation, do it in this thread in the Politics Sub Forum.
https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/350095-coronavirus-politics-thread/

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Ahem...

So:

1. If you want to discuss the impact of the virus on the sport of Rugby League, do it in this thread and don't start any others.

2. If you want to discuss the general impact of the virus on the world in general, do it in this thread in Any Other Business.

3. If you want to discuss, specifically, the political impact of the virus and argue the toss about the way in which the UK government is managing the situation, do it in this thread in the Politics Sub Forum.

Thanks.

OK point taken, I will adhere, but I will say that when something as extraordinary as this occurs it will get mentioned and transgress into other threads, betcha it does.?

PS as I answered a post long before your instruction.

Edited by Harry Stottle

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK point taken, I will adhere, but I will say that when something as extraordinary as this occurs it will get mentioned and transgress into other threads, betcha it does.?

That's why we're politely pointing others to those threads rather than our usual cut/paste of posts that are in the wrong place!

It's a tough situation that we need to be flexible in moderating.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Even if matches are to be played behind closed doors then just how many people will still be required to be present at the ground ?

Players, match officials and club officials are obvious but there are also ground staff, medics, caterers (even if only to provide after-match refreshments for the players), plus - if to be shown on tv - all the cameramen, technicians, commentators, etc, etc. All of whom will want a fee. Could some clubs afford it when they are not getting income from the turnstiles, sale of refreshments, bar sales etc ?

Edited by RL does what Sky says

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

If we can somehow ensure the safety of players and officials, surely we could stage games behind closed doors and maybe even cover every game live on Sky - maybe even for a bit more money from Sky - who may benefit financially from this kind of thing as subscriptions may increase during any quarantine period.

If games are to be played behind closed doors, fixtures can be arranged, rearranged, moved at short notice too.

We could literally become a TV sport for a while.

only if put on u tube this medical bloke said more chance of transmitting it if people packed in pub watching games on tele than being sat in stands

• Like 1

Just now, POR said:

only if put on u tube this medical bloke said more chance of transmitting it if people packed in pub watching games on tele than being sat in stands

Whether pubs are open is another decision. 

The Catalans game this weekend is on YouTube by SkySports

3 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

And from that point onwards we can say goodbye to the 2020 season

You have to give credit to my club Warrington for being ahead of the game here.

They gave up on the 2020 season after round two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1