Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Unfortunately as we are seeing in other sports, players are being affected by quarantine meaning it is likely to be impossible. 

This.

In the words of Doris, Che Sara Sara, Rugby League and Union, Football, Cricket, F1, Darts and players and fans of every other sport are all pondering the same question, "when we we be shut down" it looking more likely with every new news broadcast.

I don't  think that is being pessimistic, more realist.

Edited by Harry Stottle

I'm staggered (well maybe not actually) that the UK government hasn't mandated anything yet, even with the likely scenario playing out in front of their eyes in other countries and a chance to get ahead of things. Same here in the US.

At least firms are starting to instruct people work from home or shut down completely. 

Revenue and all that is fine but public health comes first. The UK (and Canada) is in a reasonable position at the moment. All sport should be put on hold along with major events and people should work remotely. Without learning these lessons these places will become another Italy.

Shut down for 3-4 weeks and try and nip it in the bud.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

11 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I'm staggered (well maybe not actually) that the UK government hasn't mandated anything yet, even with the likely scenario playing out in front of their eyes in other countries and a chance to get ahead of things. Same here in the US.

At least firms are starting to instruct people work from home or shut down completely. 

Revenue and all that is fine but public health comes first. The UK (and Canada) is in a reasonable position at the moment. All sport should be put on hold along with major events and people should work remotely. Without learning these lessons these places will become another Italy.

It would not shock me if Canada takes some extreme steps in the next 24 hours much like were seeing in Italy.

1 hour ago, Jayme2020 said:

It would not shock me if Canada takes some extreme steps in the next 24 hours much like were seeing in Italy.

It would be the sensible thing to do.

3736-mipm.gif

I apologise in advance for my comments. What is wrong with everyone. I'm no Johnson lover at all, but on this he's correct in what he's doing. It's time to put things in perspective. Sadly there has been loss of life, but where was all the outcry when people have died through benefits being taken from them, and the lives lost there. Or the lives of the homeless dying on our streets or the elderly not getting looked after properly in care homes. This country can't go on either a part lockdown or a full one. How would that work. It's like Football n ow playing behind closed doors, don't the players go back into the outside world after playing those games. Absolutely bloody ludicrous. As for Rugby League, at the moment we should follow what Cheltenham has done this week. Carry on. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Was only half-listening but I think Lee Radford just said Hull FC are probably playing their last home game for some time as if he knew something.

3 of their next 8 are at home. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Its the public health reasons why they have chosen not to introduce it yet.  Although keeping it under review.  The rational was clearly articulated and made sense to me. 

• Like 2

If you are folowing a delay strategy then it makes sense to prohibit gatherings above a certain size.  It is imminent - the sport has to be putting plans in place for an emergency season once the period of quarantine concludes.  If we get very lucky and such plans don't have to be implemented then that is great.

1 hour ago, Norfolk said:

If you are folowing a delay strategy then it makes sense to prohibit gatherings above a certain size.  It is imminent - the sport has to be putting plans in place for an emergency season once the period of quarantine concludes.  If we get very lucky and such plans don't have to be implemented then that is great.

The peak period and the greatest risk period is expected to be for 13 to14 weeks. Currently modelling says this will be sometime in May and when such a measure will be of greatest health and mortality benefits.  

The major benefit of doing it sooner is if need to save having to staff such events with public health and police type resources. Hence may come in sooner than any health or mortality reasons.

4 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

NHL and NBA have cancelled the season. Super League will be done soon.

Cricket Aus have just announced a three match ODI series against NZ will be played behind closed doors. 

This follows cancellation of the Aus F1 GP.

You can expect the NRL to be closed to the public as soon as this weekend.

3 hours ago, wasginger said:

I apologise in advance for my comments. What is wrong with everyone. I'm no Johnson lover at all, but on this he's correct in what he's doing. It's time to put things in perspective. Sadly there has been loss of life, but where was all the outcry when people have died through benefits being taken from them, and the lives lost there. Or the lives of the homeless dying on our streets or the elderly not getting looked after properly in care homes. This country can't go on either a part lockdown or a full one. How would that work. It's like Football n ow playing behind closed doors, don't the players go back into the outside world after playing those games. Absolutely bloody ludicrous. As for Rugby League, at the moment we should follow what Cheltenham has done this week. Carry on. 

Because if no vaccine is found, or it takes too long, a huge portion of people will get the virus. 25% of 7 billion is 1.75 billion,  with a death rate of 3%, that's over 52 million people, from something that can't (yet) be cured or protected against medically.

Your point about the players- yes, they go out an interact with the world. But not 1000s at a time. The players aren't the point of the strategy at all, it's the thousands of people grouped into one spot. And, if those players are in that same situation at a different place every week, or those away fans, it becomes very statistically easy for a lot of people to infected.

but at the same time the situation is easing in China with just 3 new cases today.  They are about 5 to 6 weeks ahead of us on this disease.  To be honest 3k deaths in a country the size of China is nothing.

17 minutes ago, themainbrace said:

but at the same time the situation is easing in China with just 3 new cases today.  They are about 5 to 6 weeks ahead of us on this disease.  To be honest 3k deaths in a country the size of China is nothing.

If that 3k is correct many thing its much much higher..

4 hours ago, redjonn said:

Its the public health reasons why they have chosen not to introduce it yet.  Although keeping it under review.  The rational was clearly articulated and made sense to me. 

How did it make sense? Because it allowed you to pretend nothing is happening? So the logic is, let’s let it get really bad then try and do something. A tactic that’s worked really well elsewhere. I’m sure Italians would be in support of that approach.

you are watching your future play out in real time two weeks in advance in a very similar country, but still choose to ignore it. I didn’t expect the chickens of the current social attitude to come home to roost so quickly but Christ it’s unreal to watch.

3736-mipm.gif

14 hours ago, John Drake said:

Ahem...

As threads on coronavirus are spreading on here as fast as the virus is spreading elsewhere, I've merged all the currently existing ones here (with the exception of the Catalans v Leeds match thread), so we don't get anymore, and the discussion remains focused.

So:

1. If you want to discuss the impact of the virus on the sport of Rugby League, do it in this thread and don't start any others.

2. If you want to discuss the general impact of the virus on the world in general, do it in this thread in Any Other Business.
https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/348518-coronavirus/

3. If you want to discuss, specifically, the political impact of the virus and argue the toss about the way in which the UK government is managing the situation, do it in this thread in the Politics Sub Forum.
https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/350095-coronavirus-politics-thread/

Thanks.

Can people please follow these instructions? Please keep this thread free for rugby related issues only.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

So Australia has decided that people should not gather in groups bigger than 500... from Monday 

except in schools....

and universities...

and on trains.... 

and airports...

and shopping centres...

so I can’t go to a football match because there is (an apparent) risk of me sitting next to someone for a couple of hours outside but I am allowed to commute where is sit next to someone inside for two hours  (each way) 

go figure ?!?

• Like 1

It looks like the NRL will be played in empty Stadiums after this weekend

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

You are not stronger than the others: you must stop all collective competitions and training as quickly as possible

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

2 hours ago, Allora said:

Fair call.

I’ve been through a pandemic elsewhere before and got really ill. This is all bringing back bad memories.

• Like 1

Leeds will not travel to Catalans now as one of their players is self-isolating.

3 hours ago, Allora said:

I don't think that will last once one or more players contracts the virus as we're now seeing with football over here.