Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

14 hours ago, John Drake said:

Ahem...

As threads on coronavirus are spreading on here as fast as the virus is spreading elsewhere, I've merged all the currently existing ones here (with the exception of the Catalans v Leeds match thread), so we don't get anymore, and the discussion remains focused.

So:

1. If you want to discuss the impact of the virus on the sport of Rugby League, do it in this thread and don't start any others.

2. If you want to discuss the general impact of the virus on the world in general, do it in this thread in Any Other Business.
https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/348518-coronavirus/

3. If you want to discuss, specifically, the political impact of the virus and argue the toss about the way in which the UK government is managing the situation, do it in this thread in the Politics Sub Forum.
https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/topic/350095-coronavirus-politics-thread/

Thanks.

Can people please follow these instructions? Please keep this thread free for rugby related issues only.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

So Australia has decided that people should not gather in groups bigger than 500... from Monday 

except in schools....

and universities...

and on trains.... 

and airports...

and shopping centres...

so I can’t go to a football match because there is (an apparent) risk of me sitting next to someone for a couple of hours outside but I am allowed to commute where is sit next to someone inside for two hours  (each way) 

go figure ?!?

• Like 1

It looks like the NRL will be played in empty Stadiums after this weekend

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

You are not stronger than the others: you must stop all collective competitions and training as quickly as possible

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

2 hours ago, Allora said:

Fair call.

I’ve been through a pandemic elsewhere before and got really ill. This is all bringing back bad memories.

• Like 1

Leeds will not travel to Catalans now as one of their players is self-isolating.

3 hours ago, Allora said:

I don't think that will last once one or more players contracts the virus as we're now seeing with football over here.

3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I don't think that will last once one or more players contracts the virus as we're now seeing with football over here.

A Cronulla player has just been tested.

Apparently around 4000 people with tickets didn’t go to the Parra game last night.

Canberra also looked sparse in the stadium. There were a lot of empty seats around me in the season ticket holder area.

3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

If the games cannot be played at all it will send some Clubs broke unless the NRL steps in.

The money from free to air and pay TV finance the whole game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copa said:

Apparently around 4000 people with tickets didn’t go to the Parra game last night.

Canberra also looked sparse in the stadium. There were a lot of empty seats around me in the season ticket holder area.

It looked like more than 4K were missing at BankWest.

9 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

How did it make sense? Because it allowed you to pretend nothing is happening? So the logic is, let’s let it get really bad then try and do something. A tactic that’s worked really well elsewhere. I’m sure Italians would be in support of that approach.

you are watching your future play out in real time two weeks in advance in a very similar country, but still choose to ignore it. I didn’t expect the chickens of the current social attitude to come home to roost so quickly but Christ it’s unreal to watch.

not pretending anything,

Myself and missus are in the high critical at risk and as such prefer the government/NHS to be guided my the medical/behaviour/mathmatical modeling experts as to how best to delay and flatten out the surge. So that when we if and probably when one of us need to go to hospital they are in the best situation possible to treat us risk people.  Thus goal to flatten the curve.

The basis is that the virus no matter what is going to flow through the population, their is no way to stop that just initially contain and delay to flatten the curve so Health and Social services can best cope to reduce mortality from the virus.

Anyway no point in me going trying to articulate "the sense" as it was clearly articulate in the various conferences.  I either believe in the experts or I don't is what it boils down to/nub of the debate of what we should be doing.

I and the missus will choose not to go to RL games for the moment, and be more circumvent in our behaviour as will our family in inter-action with us.

The RFL can of course choose to cancel/suspend the leagues/competitions irrespective of the medical/expert/government guidelines. They will need to do so until well beyond May, and given the 13-14 weeks expected of the peak then that means into July. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Leeds will not travel to Catalans now as one of their players is self-isolating.

make sense and I guess other players that have been in contact maybe will self-isolate as per the guidelines.

5 hours ago, Wollongong said:

So Australia has decided that people should not gather in groups bigger than 500... from Monday 

except in schools....

and universities...

and on trains.... 

and airports...

and shopping centres...

so I can’t go to a football match because there is (an apparent) risk of me sitting next to someone for a couple of hours outside but I am allowed to commute where is sit next to someone inside for two hours  (each way) 

go figure ?!?

What do you want the government to do? Have everyone bound to their homes?

The EFL have suspended all matches for a month so I would be surprised if it's not announced that Rugby League will be following later today.

I'm not even confident that Fev's game tonight will go ahead and we're only eight hours or so off it.

6 minutes ago, fevtom said:

The EFL have suspended all matches for a month so I would be surprised if it's not announced that Rugby League will be following later today.

I'm not even confident that Fev's game tonight will go ahead and we're only eight hours or so off it.

There will come a point. As for now the RFL statement sees no reason to cancel or postpone any weekend fixtures.

10 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

The RFL guidelines that have came out recently are ridiculous 

Don't worry, if it's anything like the referee guidelines at the start of the season it will only last a couple of weeks before normal service is resumed 🙂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Surely games will now be cancelled?

I don't mind the authorities hanging on to see if any games can get played, but think we will be looking at a decent stretch of no rugby for a while very soon.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Surely games will now be cancelled?

I think they will after this weekend to allow the clubs to get whatever revenue they can whilst still following government guidelines, unless like leeds any of the players are suspected of having it.

I suspect we then wont see any Rugby League for a month at least unfortunately.

They will then have to reschedule the season probably by dropping the loop fixtures, theres no way of making up the regular amount of games.

I think we’ll see some clubs in financial bother, like many businesses including mine.

not to be all doom and gloom but I think the economic downturn will be worse than the financial crash we had 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I don't mind the authorities hanging on to see if any games can get played, but think we will be looking at a decent stretch of no rugby for a while very soon.

It just feels inevitable with all the list of cancellations that are happening. It is a tough time.

Just now, Dave T said:

It just feels inevitable with all the list of cancellations that are happening. It is a tough time.

I personally find it bizarre that the RFL haven't followed suit already. And the longer they leave it, the more damage it could cause with people having already set off to attend games etc. When the SPFL are cancelling everything on an Old Firm weekend then you know it is worth taking seriously.

• Like 1

Once player's or staff start catching the virus it is inevitable that the game will shut down, take Leeds as a example, if 1 player has got it the rest under the guidelines should self quarantine, no training to take place, will they test the rest of the player's or just wait to see what develops whatever no game's can be played.

The idea of footballer's or Rugby player's dutifully shutting themselves away for 7+ day's is fanciful to say the least, their behaviour as so many cases have shown is risable, and I suppose the same could be said for a lot more of the population too, with the best of intentions it just isn't going to work unless there's background plans to introduce curfews and we don't have enough security forces to implement that either.

Interesting time's!