Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

10 hours ago, krakauer said:

It's coming fast, current closures in Toronto/Ontario:

-St. Patrick’s Day parade has been cancelled.
-Major League Soccer has suspended its season for 30 days.
-The NHL has put its season on pause effective immediately.
-The National Lacrosse League has suspended its season until further notice.
-All publicly-funded Ontario schools will be closed from March 14 through April 5.

I was at the Mozart's Requiem concert yesterday (ironic if it was my last concert:) and place was packed ~500 people. So some ppl don't mind the scare (yet).

Countries that are mildy effected could easily nip this in the bud. Sure, there'll be a couple of weeks downturn, but it's the right thing to do. I got a taxi in new york today and the driver, classic new yorker, was very pragmatic. "I'll lose money for a couple of weeks, but people's health is more important". It's stupid not to learn the lessons from other countries. I trust Canada will be sensible as usual.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Canberra Raiders predicting a $4 million loss if the empty stadium requirement remains.

33 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

There's a virus going about?

It's coming your way tomorrow mate , and it'll cost you ?

21 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The NZ Warriors are having to stay in Aussie after the Newcastle game for the foreseeable. Not allowed home!

They are allowed home but there’s a mandatory 2 weeks of isolation for every single person going to NZ and that includes citizens.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-mass-gatherings-to-be-banned-under-government-plans-to-combat-covid-19-spread-11957350

Mass gatherings of 500 plus to be banned next week and laws could be for 2 years!    Does that mean clubs with fewer followers will be exempt? To paraphrase Brian Hanrahan:  We counted them all in and we counted them all out!

Edited by glemiln

Shame on RFL !

Absolute disgrace ! 

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

13 minutes ago, glemiln said:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-mass-gatherings-to-be-banned-under-government-plans-to-combat-covid-19-spread-11957350

Mass gatherings of 500 plus to be banned next week and laws could be for 2 years!    Does that mean clubs with fewer followers will be exempt? To paraphrase Brian Hanrahan:  We counted them all in and we counted them all out!

Suspect that’ll mean all games in Super League, Champ and L1 postponed until further notice. 

Talk in the papers today of the epidemic not peaking until June, which would just about do it for this season. The chairman of Tranmere Rovers said on BBC breakfast this morning that today's postponement was going to cost his club around £300k in total, which gives an idea of what our leading clubs could have to suffer.

49 minutes ago, glemiln said:

2 years? That’s a lot of businesses out of business then, not just in the sports or entertainment world either.

I've just seen Anthony Gelling in Manchester Airport. Would assume thats either bc of his personal situation or players have been told the comp will be suspended.

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

2 years? That’s a lot of businesses out of business then, not just in the sports or entertainment world either.

yep, assuming laws are implemented but they are mainly for the possibility they may need to be implemented again when and if initially relaxed.  Irrespective a lot of business will be out of business anyway.

With regards sports club will be interesting to see what financial mitigation plans will be. 

Unfortunately even if the government pledges to support businesses and clubs I wouldn't bet on the money being forthcoming immediately - which is of course the only time that it would be any damned use.  Governments of all shades love to announce spending - several times if possible - but tend to be rather slower in producing the goods

I can see the playoffs potentially being scrapped with top 2 making the GF or scrapping the GF and just having first pat the post as well as scrapping loop fixtures this year

34 minutes ago, Norfolk said:

Unfortunately even if the government pledges to support businesses and clubs I wouldn't bet on the money being forthcoming immediately - which is of course the only time that it would be any damned use.  Governments of all shades love to announce spending - several times if possible - but tend to be rather slower in producing the goods

Quite, they announced £3k cash grants for small businesses ( which im eligible for) yet strangely didn’t announce how to actually get the thing

It’s going to be fine. There are only so many RL coronavirus germs to go round ? 

RL viruses are developed in the heartlands and we can’t risk spreading it too thinly. If outsider want in, they should develop their own academies of germs and stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, glemiln said:

Mass gatherings of 500 plus to be banned next week

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Suspect that’ll mean all games in Super League, Champ and L1 postponed until further notice. 

On the bright side I can still go and watch whitehaven play if I need a rugby fix 

• Haha 2

This isn't going to end well for any sport, talk of postponing things till April is ludicrous when the experts are predicting 10 to 12 week's before the peak is reached, of course they have to talk things up but the season is all but a write off. The problems that will bring with contracts with broadcasters, sponsor's, player's and ticket holder's alone will be a commercial nightmare to unravel and how many of our club's can survive a minimum of 3 months without income.              Outside of RLs little bubble what of the devastation that the economy and infrastructure of the country will suffer and how long will it take to recover. One things for certain there won't be a test series this year, if Australia takes any sort of hit or this is lingering you won't see them that's for sure.

In fact taking my own health issues into consideration you best pass me the cheese wire now!

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

On the bright side I can still go and watch whitehaven play if I need a rugby fix 

I heard Cumbria was down to be a containment zone for suspected carriers, far enough away from London & South East without having to annoy the Scots and Liz who likes the Union and Balmoral.

That will teach you to vote Tory, if you hadn't they would still have forgotten you exsisted?

• Like 1