How many players can you name that......?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Al Kirkland, one of the USA All Stars of the 1950s played a few games for Leeds, but visa problems stopped him from signing for them on a long term basis. He also played a season Down Under with Parramatta.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Is that not the Pacific Islands?

Yes, by the simplest definition, namely all islands in the Pacific Ocean, New Caledonia is a Pacific island.  So that would include, for instance, Vancouver island and all of Japan too. 

However, I think the phrase is sometimes used to mean either a more limited number of islands, collectively referred to sometimes as Oceania, or a smaller sub-set of that, with English speaking colonial origins.  Oceania as a whole also includes New Caledonia/Nouvelle-Caledonie.

My suspicion was that the original poster had in mind the narrowest definition - the Oceania sub-set - if only because he separately mentioned PNG, which itself is in Oceania.  That is why, like Atlantisman, I mentioned Dimitri Pelo.

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Yes, by the simplest definition, namely all islands in the Pacific Ocean, New Caledonia is a Pacific island.  So that would include, for instance, Vancouver island and all of Japan too. 

However, I think the phrase is sometimes used to mean either a more limited number of islands, collectively referred to sometimes as Oceania, or a smaller sub-set of that, with English speaking colonial origins.  Oceania as a whole also includes New Caledonia/Nouvelle-Caledonie.

My suspicion was that the original poster had in mind the narrowest definition - the Oceania sub-set - if only because he separately mentioned PNG, which itself is in Oceania.  That is why, like Atlantisman, I mentioned Dimitri Pelo.

Sorry WW I didn't notice you mentioned him my fault should not have named him:(

47 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Sorry WW I didn't notice you mentioned him my fault should not have named him:(

No problem!  Clearly, great minds think alike!!

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

This is a great thread. It shows how far flung RL can get. The only place seems to be South America that is untouched by TGG.

Oh, & Cornwall.

As in top class but plenty of grass roots work taking place :

23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile 54-8 Brazil 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
(Los Ángeles, Chile; 17 November 2017)
Biggest win
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Brazil 54-12 Colombia 23px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png
(Sao Paulo, Brazil; 23 November 2018)
Biggest defeat
23px-Flag_of_Chile.svg.png Chile 54-8 Brazil 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
(Los Ángeles, Chile; 17 November 2017)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived