Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

Rugby League in Norway

Recommended Posts

Do any of you know anything about RL in Norway? 
 

I’ve had a look online and it looks like there’s an 8 team national competition with the GF shown online, a few smaller tournaments as well as one SL game a week on tv. The national team play regularly and win convincingly against countries like Sweden, Denmark, Czech and Germany. 
 

I don’t use Facebook but it looks like their federation page has over 3,000 likes, which sounds like a lot. Sounds like the game is thriving there, I’d love to know more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do any of you know anything about RL in Norway? 
 

I’ve had a look online and it looks like there’s an 8 team national competition with the GF shown online, a few smaller tournaments as well as one SL game a week on tv. The national team play regularly and win convincingly against countries like Sweden, Denmark, Czech and Germany. 
 

I don’t use Facebook but it looks like their federation page has over 3,000 likes, which sounds like a lot. Sounds like the game is thriving there, I’d love to know more. 

There are more qualified people than myself to comment upon what goes on there but they’re pretty organised and active.

They were in the world cup qualifiers last year but got done by Greece in London, ending their journey.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When this is all over i am looking forward to our RL visit to Norway 

Oslo YES

Price of beer NO:(

 

Paul

PS/Have a scroll back on the international forum plenty of Norwegian news there going back:)

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do any of you know anything about RL in Norway? 
 

I’ve had a look online and it looks like there’s an 8 team national competition with the GF shown online, a few smaller tournaments as well as one SL game a week on tv. The national team play regularly and win convincingly against countries like Sweden, Denmark, Czech and Germany. 
 

I don’t use Facebook but it looks like their federation page has over 3,000 likes, which sounds like a lot. Sounds like the game is thriving there, I’d love to know more. 

There's a real core of expats in Norway. With some fascinating stories. There's Sonny Mellor, who has half a left arm, he's Kiwi and played for the national team. Nick Cummins' (the honey bager - RU international) brother Nathan plays too and they have Casey Diggs an American athlete.

They got government recognition after being only a game away from the World Cup. Really is a country that is making little noise but a lot of steady progress. Their national league also stretches up to Bodo which is in the Arctic circle. Games are played at 0 degrees there. 

Edited by Ash Hope
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ash Hope said:

There's a real core of expats in Norway. With some fascinating stories. There's Sonny Mellor, who has half a left arm, 

Distal or proximal? Sorry, I couldn't resist. I hope that Sonny (or anyone else) wouldnt be offended.

To be serious thats great news. Well done to everyone involved.

 


Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rod Studd visited Norway to see the pub team that had formed over there after watching Super League telecasts on Boots N'all

 

  • Like 1

?

Quote

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

 
Eddie Demsey RMT
 
Quote

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Distal or proximal? Sorry, I couldn't resist. I hope that Sonny (or anyone else) wouldnt be offended.

To be serious thats great news. Well done to everyone involved.

 

No words...

  • Like 1

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

http://rlif.com/article/8919/

Working towards full government recognition.

Interesting that they have more member clubs than RU.

The article says:  NRF is the umbrella body for several “rugby related” sports in Norway as neither rugby code nor the related sports, such as Gaelic football, reach the threshold for full recognition by the government in Norway. It is not controlled by rugby league or by rugby union however, rugby league has the largest number of member clubs.

I have to say, I thought I knew a decent amount about RL in Norway and I was under the impression that union had more teams, and that those that did play League, were all dual-code.  So this is very surprising and welcome news.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, langpark said:

The article says:  NRF is the umbrella body for several “rugby related” sports in Norway as neither rugby code nor the related sports, such as Gaelic football, reach the threshold for full recognition by the government in Norway. It is not controlled by rugby league or by rugby union however, rugby league has the largest number of member clubs.

I have to say, I thought I knew a decent amount about RL in Norway and I was under the impression that union had more teams, and that those that did play League, were all dual-code.  So this is very surprising and welcome news.

Excellent news

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrote this today for anyone interested. Shameless plug but topical.

https://www.totalrl.com/the-norwegian-internationals-who-couldnt-be-any-different-or-more-alike/

 

  • Like 3

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Oh, and I believe Tonga deserves to be added to the list, taken in the round. 

Don't forget Jamaica.

  • Like 3

new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Oh, and I believe Tonga deserves to be added to the list, taken in the round. 

Do you have the sport participation figures by a chance?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Themusician_2 said:

Do you have the sport participation figures by a chance?

I do not believe this to be true for a second, despite their recent success at international level.

A quick google/wiki check states that there are 19 active Rugby League clubs in Tonga, as opposed to 82 Rugby Union.  Not saying that is 100% accurate, but it is a good ballpark I believe, and it's about what I expected.  A 4:1 ratio.  Probably similar to the likes of NZ and other pacific island nations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, langpark said:

I do not believe this to be true for a second, despite their recent success at international level.

A quick google/wiki check states that there are 19 active Rugby League clubs in Tonga, as opposed to 82 Rugby Union.  Not saying that is 100% accurate, but it is a good ballpark I believe, and it's about what I expected.  A 4:1 ratio.  Probably similar to the likes of NZ and other pacific island nations.

I understand that ratio is changing fast though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/04/2020 at 18:14, ATLANTISMAN said:

When this is all over i am looking forward to our RL visit to Norway 

Oslo YES

Price of beer NO:(

 

Paul

PS/Have a scroll back on the international forum plenty of Norwegian news there going back:)

Off licences are nationalised. Going there to buy alcohol is like going to Argos.

But I'm guessing there are illicit stills everywhere.  

Low alcohol beer is available in supermarkets, but go out for a meal and if you have drinks you will pay !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who fancies a Forum outing to a game or two in Norway once travel is back to normal ? Or maybe if they have a grand final ? Saw them play Greece at New River and looked useful.

  • Like 1

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started a thread last year about the huge funding that Norway Rugby League had also received to develop the wheelchair game. They received €176,000 which is a huge amount:

Rugby League Norge has been awarded 1,750,000 crowns (approx 176,000 euros) by the DNB Savings Bank Foundation towards the development of the wheelchair game.

The successful funding bid comes on the back of Norway gaining a place in the 2021 Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup in England.

https://www.rlef.eu.com/articles/1752/norway-rugby-league-receive-major-investment-for-wheelchair-game

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also helps that the national RU team is utter tripe - in the last three World Cup qualifying campaigns they've been dumped out in the first qualifying round. The highlight on their road to Japan was getting nilled by that international rugby powerhouse....Denmark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...