Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

Rugby League museum (Merged Threads)

Recommended Posts

Vaguely. Some pictures and exhibits on a wall? Somewhere in Yorkshire.?


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody hell, yeah, at Oulton.

Another rubbish venue.

I have a fair dislike for the Huddersfield, the club and it's shonky claim to be the birthplace of RL, just because that's where a meeting took place.

However, it is THE ideal place for the museum (for the same reason as that's where the 1895 meeting took place), - it's central to the northern spread of the game and it has that indelible (if circumstantial), connection to the great split. 

And it's a nice enough town centre for a few beers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dboy said:

Bloody hell, yeah, at Oulton.

Another rubbish venue.

I have a fair dislike for the Huddersfield, the club and it's shonky claim to be the birthplace of RL, just because that's where a meeting took place.

However, it is THE ideal place for the museum (for the same reason as that's where the 1895 meeting took place), - it's central to the northern spread of the game and it has that indelible (if circumstantial), connection to the great split. 

And it's a nice enough town centre for a few beers.

 

It will only be a hiatus I know but if the rail improvement plans go ahead then the station will close down for two years (or more). When (if) this might happen is anyone's guess.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

It will only be a hiatus I know but if the rail improvement plans go ahead then the station will close down for two years (or more). When (if) this might happen is anyone's guess.

The station is closing???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dboy said:

The station is closing???

 

The line is going to be widened for a few miles so the whole of the current transpennine route will be closed. Trains between Manchester and Leeds will be diverted along the northerly route completely bypassing Huddersfield and Dewsbury.

At least that is the published plan.


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Please can you point out where any of us said the museum should be in Oldham ?

The answers to your original post were in reply to you saying that Wigan was the spiritual home of Rugby League.

YOU might believe so .... I suspect the vast majority won't.

Furhermore,  it appears you are somewhat ashamed that RL was actually born in what was at the time a thriving mill town. If so, perhaps another sport might be more ideal for you ... perhaps at Wimbledon or Henley ?

Ah! Wimbledon. That's where Richard Lewis works, I believe. Had a great day I hospitality at Henly..in 1992, though. My attitude to Oldham is based purely on three years full time as a student at OCFE. 

 


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Ah! Wimbledon. That's where Richard Lewis works, I believe. Had a great day I hospitality at Henly..in 1992, though. My attitude to Oldham is based purely on three years full time as a student at OCFE. 

Further Education in Oldham ???  Did you never wonder why it was full of people from outside the town ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dboy said:

Bloody hell, yeah, at Oulton.

Another rubbish venue.

I have a fair dislike for the Huddersfield, the club and it's shonky claim to be the birthplace of RL, just because that's where a meeting took place.

However, it is THE ideal place for the museum (for the same reason as that's where the 1895 meeting took place), - it's central to the northern spread of the game and it has that indelible (if circumstantial), connection to the great split. 

And it's a nice enough town centre for a few beers.

Yes, while, as you say, the meeting just happened to be there, it's akin to the playing fields of Rugby school being venerated by all involved with Rugby Union as the place where their sport began ... even though we all know that's something of a historical myth. Yet it's a place many visit because of it.  At least the George Hotel does have a more tangible reason for it's claim in RL folklore and as such would attract those with an interest in the history of the game.

That's the same reason why we in Oldham would like Joseph Platt to be more recognised ... he is the RL equivalent of William Webb-Ellis but, again, while the actions of the latter are something of a fairy tale, at least our founder did exist and has a true story behind him in his efforts to create the game we still enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Ah! Wimbledon. That's where Richard Lewis works, I believe. Had a great day I hospitality at Henly..in 1992, though. My attitude to Oldham is based purely on three years full time as a student at OCFE. 

 

Was called Oldham tech when I was a lad. Now, and your not going to believe this, it's the University Campus Oldham , gaining it's degrees from, amongst others, Huddersfield. Yep that's right Huddersfield. Pinching our thunder yet again. ?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Was called Oldham tech when I was a lad. Now, and your not going to believe this, it's the University Campus Oldham , gaining it's degrees from, amongst others, Huddersfield. Yep that's right Huddersfield. Pinching our thunder yet again. ?

Pah. A good part of "Oldham" is actually in Huddersfield (53%).

Saddleworth has always been, and remains, in Yorkshire!

Edited by dboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dboy said:

Pah. A good part of "Oldham" is actually in Huddersfield (53%).

Saddleworth has always been, and remains, in Yorkshire!

You might complain it was taken off you ... but we can equally complain it was forced on us !!!! 

Now perhaps there's a good reason for the demise of Oldham RL !   Yorkshire influence ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It hasn't been taken off us - it is still in Yorkshire.

I'm not sure you can blame the demise of Oldham RL on the the Local Government Act of 1972.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Further Education in Oldham ???  Did you never wonder why it was full of people from outside the town ?

That was me and all but one of our colleagues. Just the one from Oldham. We were the educational equivalent of Oldham Theatre Workshop. Gained fame and for some, fortune all around the globe. 

Edited by JohnM

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Let me know who it was.... we are not having people in this town trying to give it a good name ! ?

He's long gone from Oldham, as are the rest of us. 

  • Haha 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JohnM said:

 

Anyone who has ever visited the Tolpuddle Martyrs museum will surely testify that hiding away a heritage out of public view is a recipe for forgetfulness

It is very disappointing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My view is that the museum should be sited where the general sports fan can access it and be educated. Needs to be in a big city. Us hard liners will be prepared, I'm convinced, to travel to the flesh-pots of Manchester or Leeds to see it. 

Last bit of Oldham thread drift. 

Could you have ever imagined that  the maths behind the tunnel diode, Schrodinger, Heisenberg, and the Wave Function being on a college syllabus there? That was tough going, trust me. 

Anyone recall the incident around 1966/7 when the fountain outside the then new tower block was filled with foamer and there were clouds of bubbles all over the place?Extensively featured by the Oldham Chron at the time. 

Edited by JohnM

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

My view is that the museum should be sited where the general sports fan can access it and be educated. Needs to be in a big city. Us hard liners will be prepared, I'm convinced, to travel to the flesh-pots of Manchester or Leeds to see it. 

Last bit of Oldham thread drift. 

Could you have ever imagined that  the maths behind the tunnel diode, Schrodinger, Heisenberg, and the Wave Function being on a college syllabus there? 

Well professor Brian Cox , although not educated at said establishment, is another son of Oldham, so yes I could. ?

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parochialism usually wins, it will probably end up nowhere, or no one will ever support it where ever it might go.

Perhaps the best place is the wide bit between the carriageways of the M62... the bit where the landowner would not sell.

Yes I know I'm not being fair.  

I'm not really worried about where, rather that it might encourage itself to be worthwhile. It strikes me that its exhibits would change somewhat over time, it should have some vibrancy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have it wherever will give it enough funding to do a museum justice. It has to be entertaining enough to give kids a day out. If it’s just a few trophies and shirts in a room, it is likely to fail. 

If it’s not going to be an attraction in its own right, just have it at a stadium. 

Edited by Man of Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Have it wherever will give it enough funding to do a museum justice. It has to be entertaining enough to give kids a day out. If it’s just a few trophies and shirts in a room, it is likely to fail. 

If it’s not going to be an attraction in its own right, just have it at a stadium. 

Yes, it needs some "hands on" features akin to the National Football Museum in Manchester.

err... so that means we will have to wait until coronavirus goes away ! ?

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JohnM said:

Understandable. Wigan is the spiritual home of Rugby League, with the most successful team of all time. 

We might get to see the superb Championship Trophy that Maurice Lindsay allegedly allowed Wigan to keep at the advent of SL.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

We might get to see the superb Championship Trophy that Maurice Lindsay allegedly allowed Wigan to keep at the advent of SL.

Those old trophies had character.

Albert_goldthorpe_all_four_cups.jpg.5e9e2988bc4d6060bb7d7f41057e9acd.jpg            172711576.jpg.gallery.jpg.d06d25a0c7efd1bed062315e605f6df3.jpg

Albert Goldthorpe with the Yorkshire Cup, Yorkshire League, Challenge Cup and RL Championship Trophies.

Alex Murphy with the Lancashire Cup, League Leaders Bowl and Lancashire League Trophies.

Much more impressive than the current day non-discript awards.

Surely they could be used somehow instead of just getting dusty in a cupboard somewhere .... especially if we are trying to impress people.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...