Sign in to follow this  
Whippet13

New Super League Sponsor

35 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Anyone want to have a guess at the financial details of this sponsorship?

How much does a buffet for the team and staff cost? Times that by 10 for every round played.

• Haha 1

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

How much does a buffet for the team and staff cost? Times that by 10 for every round played.

This is my concern. Is it actually another Eddie Stobart deal!

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I got one from local pizza joint ( not dominoes ) for 9.60 with delivery . I mean Jesus I nearly ate the box as well to get value for money 

That’s because they do them fancy jam topped ones in Wukinton !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

That’s because they do them fancy jam topped ones in Wukinton !

Gold leaf I think 

33 minutes ago, Southerner said:

This is my concern. Is it actually another Eddie Stobart deal!

Difference being it's not the title sponsor, it's just a subsidiary sponsor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Southerner said:

Anyone want to have a guess at the financial details of this sponsorship?

Okay so assuming we've got plenty of pizza lovers amongst our rugby ranks, here's how I see it. 

18 players per team 

3 injured players go to watch the game (but really just there for their share of a Papa John's XXL American Hot) 

Head coach and other coaching staff is another 4 

Then water carriers, team doc, physios - let's say that's another 6 

Overall one team has about 32 people every match day that are actually part of the essential group and that's probably an underestimate, but let's run with it. I'm not including the media manager and other back office peeps - they can probs have few crusts, but no share of Walmsley's Hawaiian. 

Papa John's will be thrifty I reckon and elect to offer pizza 1 between 2 of their XXL range (average price £20.99) and then throw in a few sides and drinks - buffalo wings (£5.79 a portion) galore. 

So here's the numbers: 

16 pizzas x £20.99 

10 sides x £5.79 

We'll leave drinks actually, they're pretty weak and don't want to take the p*ss. 

So all told one team costs £393.74 

Let's pretend Toronto get wind of this and decide to play again, that'll be £393.84 x 12 = 4724.88 per weekend. 

I know this is extremely rough, but for all the jokes (me included) it's actually not that shoddy. Obviously the price to Papa John's is significantly less than the price we all get fleeced for - the tomato base is a dream though. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Haha 2

Seems a perfectly reasonable contra-deal to me, particularly with the costs (and Covid restrictions?) involved for catering for the players involved in the double-headers and the like.

Also worth mentioning that pizzas are very much recommended by sports nutritionists and is virtually ubiquitous in professional RL and football. The idea is to replace quickly replace fat that has been burned during the game or the body will 'crash' and next day recovery will be severely hampered.

• Like 2

Just now, Mattrhino said:

So no money, just free pizzas for players.

You do realise the players don't line up at the canteen to pay for their post-match meal, don't you?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Okay so assuming we've got plenty of pizza lovers amongst our rugby ranks, here's how I see it. 

18 players per team 

3 injured players go to watch the game (but really just there for their share of a Papa John's XXL American Hot) 

Head coach and other coaching staff is another 4 

Then water carriers, team doc, physios - let's say that's another 6 

Overall one team has about 32 people every match day that are actually part of the essential group and that's probably an underestimate, but let's run with it. I'm not including the media manager and other back office peeps - they can probs have few crusts, but no share of Walmsley's Hawaiian. 

Papa John's will be thrifty I reckon and elect to offer pizza 1 between 2 of their XXL range (average price £20.99) and then throw in a few sides and drinks - buffalo wings (£5.79 a portion) galore. 

So here's the numbers: 

16 pizzas x £20.99 

10 sides x £5.79 

We'll leave drinks actually, they're pretty weak and don't want to take the p*ss. 

So all told one team costs £393.74 

Let's pretend Toronto get wind of this and decide to play again, that'll be £393.84 x 12 = 4724.88 per weekend. 

I know this is extremely rough, but for all the jokes (me included) it's actually not that shoddy. Obviously the price to Papa John's is significantly less than the price we all get fleeced for - the tomato base is a dream though. 

Good luck to the bloke in the van delivering them 

18 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The question of how appropriate a sponsor is for RL relates more to the influence on the broader constituency of the game`s players and fans. Of course when a sport`s governing body accepts a sponsorship it`s elite players may be required to endorse the product. Whether they mean it is another matter. Just as with individual celebrities in commercials.

I`d be surprised if any sports nutritionist employed by NRL or SL clubs would recommend pizza in the diets of their players, but that`s no reason why players at all other levels shouldn`t partake in moderation. If someone is partial to so-called junk food there`s a greater imperative for them to join a club and get active. Better that than striving for self-denial, whilst remaining inactive.

I agree on all that, nothing wrong with a league being sponsored and endorsing certain objects, just doubt their players will be enjoy pizza after every game. I've always found it humorous during the post-game press conferences you see soda bottles placed in front of the players for sponsorship reasons or is NASCARs case placed on top of the car, regardless of their soda drinking habit I doubt thats the last thing they'd want to drink right after a game/race.

3 minutes ago, emesssea said:

I agree on all that, nothing wrong with a league being sponsored and endorsing certain objects, just doubt their players will be enjoy pizza after every game. I've always found it humorous during the post-game press conferences you see soda bottles placed in front of the players for sponsorship reasons or is NASCARs case placed on top of the car, regardless of their soda drinking habit I doubt thats the last thing they'd want to drink right after a game/race.

Anthony Joshua just about manages to take his headphones off before fights .

How sad that the immediate reaction of so many people is to deride this and assume it’s a ‘free’ sponsorship. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

How sad that the immediate reaction of so many people is to deride this and assume it’s a ‘free’ sponsorship. 

They are not fans Eddie, they are not big enough. Feeding off the game, like parasites.

• Like 1

All sports have their negative detractors. People who will find fault in almost anything.
You kind of expect it on the various social media platforms, but i've even seen it on a SL post on Linkedin!.. 

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

15 hours ago, emesssea said:

As previously posted, pizza in the dressing room is the standard post-match meal for pro RL players and has been for a good couple of years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

As previously posted, pizza in the dressing room is the standard post-match meal for pro RL players and has been for a good couple of years.

Couple of years? At least a decade.

It always makes me smile a bit that the NRL has prominent advertising of KFC and McDonald’s ! I wonder what their post match scran is

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

It always makes me smile a bit that the NRL has prominent advertising of KFC and McDonald’s ! I wonder what their post match scran is

What is wrong with that? Lots of nonsense talked about McDs by some people who should know better. There's more nutritional information available on McDs stuff than on all the Manoir de Quatre Seasons type eateries put together. That's why there is so much full about the drive to put calorie counts on restaurant menus. People are happy to neck pints of calorie rich beer but sneer at pizzas. 

Edited by JohnM

Four legs good - two legs bad