Jump to content

Luke Thompson coming back?


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Did he?

Without checking the dates he may well have signed for CBBs before the Covid-19 crisis took hold in the U.K..

As for the tough game, tough players comment, how would you know anything of how tough the game is, here or there or whether a Thompson is a tough enough bloke.

Didn’t he refuse to take a pay cut like all the other Saints players and push for an early release. He already knew the Covid situation before he left for the NRL and knew what situation he would be in, if he didn’t he isn’t that bright. 

Patwigaw

Link to comment
Share on other sites


12 minutes ago, JohnM said:

A lot of assumptions being made and questions being asked.

1. That any of this is true.

2. That he is homesick

3. That he is coming back early

4. That his rumoured return really is because of him being homesick.

5. That he and his agent didn't know or find out about the welfare issues involved in relocating to Australia.

6. That his club there are or are not looking after his welfare.

7. That his income is so low that he cannot afford to fly one or more of his loved ones out for a break ( Kayak currently showing £1650 return London -Sydney)

8. May seem harsh in these snowflake times, but it has to be said. If at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again, give up.

9. He'd be well advised in my view to seek professional counselling. He has an opportunity to change his like for the much better. He won't get that opportunity again.

Actions have consequences and we can't all walk away when things don't go our way.

 

 

He can't fly his loved ones over as all the borders are closed, aussies can't leave Australia either. 

The club even say in the interview that they've tried to but can't get his girlfriend over due to borders being closed. 

Àn aussie friend of mine is signed up with a French club and he's not allowed out of the country even though he has a sponsored job lined up and he'll be away for a year. 

Edited by barnyia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m sure it’s tough , but he went in the middle of lockdown knowing the strict protocols in place so really he’s got to battle it through until the bulldogs can improve his circumstances , and show his mettle on the pitch which was why he went . Sorry but it will look like an admission of failure if he comes back so soon . He must have knew this year would be really difficult but he went 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

It must be demoralising playing for such a losing team after being with Saints last season, even though the standard is far superior.  

Saints would easily steam roll the Bulldogs but yes there is a difference in the leagues overall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, barnyia said:

He can't fly his loved ones over as all the borders are closed, aussies can't leave Australia either. 

The club even say in the interview that they've tried to but can't get his girlfriend over due to borders being closed. 

Àn aussie friend of mine is signed up with a French club and he's not allowed out of the country even though he has a sponsored job lined up and he'll be away for a year. 

The Bulldogs season will be over in just over a month,he's getting extremely well paid to play a sport in a great location,he needs to grow a pair get his head down and try to live up to his reputation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Davo 5 I don't disagree, but it's not as easy as it looks or sounds, not a criticism and just a question have you ever moved away from home/area  for a long time alone? 

Yes and for a lot less money and not of my own choice.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not sure what the demographic on here is but I get the impression that we are slightly more, shall I say, 'worldly wise'... ok, old.

I remember back to myself as a 25 year old and I am not convinced I was emotionally capable of moving to the other side of the world in the middle of a pandemic and take up a new job in pretty much social isolation.

Yes, it was his choice to go, but that doesn't make him any more or less able to cope with the situation.  As I say, I hope he stays and does well.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am not sure what the demographic on here is but I get the impression that we are slightly more, shall I say, 'worldly wise'... ok, old.

I remember back to myself as a 25 year old and I am not convinced I was emotionally capable of moving to the other side of the world in the middle of a pandemic and take up a new job in pretty much social isolation.

Yes, it was his choice to go, but that doesn't make him any more or less able to cope with the situation.  As I say, I hope he stays and does well.  

Starting a new job is always nerve wracking, never mind under the current conditions.  I hope he tries to stick it out.

  • Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

They were good times at Strangeways in those days (-;

Maybe he was sent to prison by a military court for a crime he didn't commit. Then alongside three others, he promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Maybe he was sent to prison by a military court for a crime he didn't commit. Then alongside three others, he promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. 

Could happen to anyone ...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, JohnM said:

Homesick? For Snellins? What's up with him? Jeez!

Exactly, he's only been there two minutes and played a handful of times. Maybe it's too hard for him the Jessie. The last time I was homesick I had good reason I was being shot at by Argentine soldiers he's only playing rugby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Exactly, he's only been there two minutes and played a handful of times. Maybe it's too hard for him the Jessie. The last time I was homesick I had good reason I was being shot at by Argentine soldiers he's only playing rugby.

Were you stealing a load of corned beef from a warehouse in buenos aires again??

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Exactly, he's only been there two minutes and played a handful of times. Maybe it's too hard for him the Jessie

how is kallum watkins dad anyway?

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Maybe he was sent to prison by a military court for a crime he didn't commit. Then alongside three others, he promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. 

Turns out Thompson refused to get on the plane, but his agent gave him a glass of milk and the next thing he knew he was in Sydney.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

There is -and I can't stress this enough- no such thing as homesickness when you're in Australia.

None.

The problem with this is that people are -and I can't stress this enough- different. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

There is -and I can't stress this enough- no such thing as homesickness when you're in Australia.

None.

I lived in Australia for a while and it's great and I would hope Tompson will see it out and prove himself but it's the lack of culture that does mean you do need to leave now and again.

Very isolated place as well and the rest of the world doesnt really acknowledge the country exists so you do feel detached from world events.

The people are more like Americans than they think they are as well.

The NRL is great and I use to go to games regularly and had a great time - saying that the fans dont really do atmosphere so games can be flat - give me a good Friday Wigan v Saints infront of 25000 than 50000 at a Brisbane match anyday for atmosphere. Infact give me Town V Haven infront of 1800 for better atmosphere.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...