If it wasn’t for

I think I've watched/listened to more RL this year than ever. Partially because WFH means I can follow NRL matches on Thursday and Friday* mornings, but also because I needed something positive in a year like 2021.

There were a lot of really entertaining SL matches this season too, and Sky showed more of them.

A new laptop and some long-overdue troubleshooting of my internet connection made watching streamed matches less glitchy.

The ever-increasing number of archived classic matches on YouTube.

*I also needed to use up a lot of unused holiday, so have taken a lot of Fridays off towards the end of the NRL/SL season.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Whippet13 said:

It's the Kaiviti Silktails.

Playing out of Sydney in 2021 due to Covid, rumour is that they will be partnered with the Roosters.

Think the hunters are to be based out of Townsville as well?

silktails could be huge for the NRL and Fiji in terms of churning out Fijian talent.

42 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Oh that's a difficult one Dave,

I am a victim of doing just that has far as my club is concerned, in well over 50 years being a fan of Leigh has had far far more down's than up's, many a time walking away from the ground I have been known to say "that's it, that's me done" but next time I would be stood in the same spot grumbling again, most probably out of perverse loyalty.

Aye....

1 minute ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Think the hunters are to be based out of Townsville as well?

silktails could be huge for the NRL and Fiji in terms of churning out Fijian talent.

They are. There are some big names and decent funding behind the Silktails.

Pacifique Trieze are also working very seriously towards joining the Queensland Cup:

https://pacifique13.com/en/home/

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Oh that's a difficult one Dave,

I am a victim of doing just that has far as my club is concerned, in well over 50 years being a fan of Leigh has had far far more down's than up's, many a time walking away from the ground I have been known to say "that's it, that's me done" but next time I would be stood in the same spot grumbling again, most probably out of perverse loyalty.

I guess looking at history you sort of mirror  somewhat a Flagellant...

We are in a way Zealots on these here forums... only happy to be atoning our RL sins by periodical bemoaning all and sundry of our RL masters...

52 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I think I've watched/listened to more RL this year than ever. Partially because WFH means I can follow NRL matches on Thursday and Friday* mornings, but also because I needed something positive in a year like 2021.

There were a lot of really entertaining SL matches this season too, and Sky showed more of them.

A new laptop and some long-overdue troubleshooting of my internet connection made watching streamed matches less glitchy.

The ever-increasing number of archived classic matches on YouTube.

*I also needed to use up a lot of unused holiday, so have taken a lot of Fridays off towards the end of the NRL/SL season.

is that a forecast for next year of more pain

No,but I am becoming a little disillusioned with Superleague which will probably result in me attending a lot less games,but I do have my regular Saturday NCL games and fully intend to take in more Championship matches at my local club.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

If you don't enjoy or appreciate the game, it's probably best to just find something else, because life's too short to be a fan out of perverse loyalty. 

This is interesting and really got me thinking.

RL is part of who I am and part of my culture and identity. It has been a huge part of my life since I was about 6 and I do feel a sense of perverse loyalty to the sport. Some of my fondest memories revolve around the sport, whether that is attending games with sadly departed family members, watching Wigan as a starstruck kid in the 1986-87 season, playing away games and the booze up on the coach on the way back and then well into the night etc. No matter what I may criticise about it on here I will defend it to the hilt when it comes to outsiders and those that like to mock.

That said I am pretty disillusioned with the way the game is run and what has happened in the last few years but that's a whole different debate, done to death on other threads. I certainly don't just watch every televised SL game as I used to and certainly pick and choose more. Or it may be on in the background whilst I am doing other things. There are just too many poor games. That's not just a slight on RL, I used to pretty much religiously watch every Football game and rarely do now. I am certainly more inclined to watch a run of the mill NRL game than a Super League game. When it comes to internationals I cant wait and they are always the highlight for me. Over the past decade they have been the real bright spark and its a travesty that we haven't pushed them much more.

I certainly don't feel the sense of loyalty towards Football that I do towards RL and I do think that for many RL fans it is more than just a sport.

I'm not disillusioned or angry just far less excited by the sport. 

It feels like I'm watching it fade away. Happy to manage its own decline. It just doesn't seem like it's going anywhere.

I'm looking forward to the world cup and kind of glad I bought early to commit to it but regardless of covid I won't be going to the cc final, gf, or magic this year.

Its not a case of there being some decision made and flouncing  out because some choice the RFL or SL have made. I watched a fair bit of RL over lockdown and will probably continue to do so, I'm just less excited by it and less motivated to be part of it. 

3 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

York city knights and Newcastle thunder I’d probably have little interest in RL.

Anybody else feel the same way?

I must also mention the PNG hunters and Fijian silktails(if that’s their name).

You have always got Sunderland AFC to fall back on.

10 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

At least older stadiums had some character and individual identity about them. 

Everything resembles something from Ikea or Legoland these days.

Wasn't the York one delayed because there were some missing pieces from the box?

Give me legoland over Beirut every day of the week.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

This is interesting and really got me thinking.

RL is part of who I am and part of my culture and identity. It has been a huge part of my life since I was about 6 and I do feel a sense of perverse loyalty to the sport. Some of my fondest memories revolve around the sport, whether that is attending games with sadly departed family members, watching Wigan as a starstruck kid in the 1986-87 season, playing away games and the booze up on the coach on the way back and then well into the night etc. No matter what I may criticise about it on here I will defend it to the hilt when it comes to outsiders and those that like to mock.

That said I am pretty disillusioned with the way the game is run and what has happened in the last few years but that's a whole different debate, done to death on other threads. I certainly don't just watch every televised SL game as I used to and certainly pick and choose more. Or it may be on in the background whilst I am doing other things. There are just too many poor games. That's not just a slight on RL, I used to pretty much religiously watch every Football game and rarely do now. I am certainly more inclined to watch a run of the mill NRL game than a Super League game. When it comes to internationals I cant wait and they are always the highlight for me. Over the past decade they have been the real bright spark and its a travesty that we haven't pushed them much more.

I certainly don't feel the sense of loyalty towards Football that I do towards RL and I do think that for many RL fans it is more than just a sport.

Perfectly put and I largely echo this. I’m just intrigued at the number of my friends who have drifted away from the game who where once keen followers.

A key reason I go to games is the social aspect.  Whatever the standard of play, however the game or club may be run, or whatever else is happening I enjoy the camaraderie and social discourse.

I have never gone to watch the sport just because of the fare on the pitch nor whatever is happening administration or media wise. Each have their ups and downs but I enjoy and have missed meeting up with fleeting acquaintances that over time grow towards friendship even when from different "orbits" of life.

21 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Perfectly put and I largely echo this. I’m just intrigued at the number of my friends who have drifted away from the game who where once keen followers.

On another forum, I have seen some Football fans express concerns on how their sport isn't gripping them as much as it used to. They sometime barely bother with MotD or YouTube highlights, let alone a whole live match.

This isn't just a RL thing. It could be down to the brain-scrambling effect of 2020, or it could just be something that happens to some people at a certain point in their life and circumstances.

The ones who make a big angry flouncy statement about how this is the final straw and that they are done with the game tend not to actually go away, though. It's the ones who just drift away gradually because it isn't giving them the same feeling, and I don't know if they are recoverable.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, JohnM said:

I get the feeling that a few people just prefer the game played by the local horny handed sons of toil rather than the pro and semi pro game, a version of inverted snobbery. 

Reminds me of something Gene Wilder said in 'Blazing Saddles'...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

York city knights and Newcastle thunder I’d probably have little interest in RL.

Anybody else feel the same way?

I must also mention the PNG hunters and Fijian silktails(if that’s their name).

Agree completely no Leigh Centurions and I'd only have a passing interest , most likely follow the community game more instead 

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I get the feeling that a few people just prefer the game played by the local horny handed sons of toil rather than the pro and semi pro game, a version of inverted snobbery. 

don't know about that, but surely it has to be more than just what's on the pitch. That of course is a key aspect too but for me not the only one.   I attend my local SL team games for more that's just the performance on the pitch... otherwise I'd just switch on the telly as most of their games are on the box.

inverted snobbery I guess can be interpreted in many ways... maybe sneering down on the reasons why those that may claim to watch non pro or semi pro games...

Yes i know I've made an assumption on the sneering aspect but purely to illustrate taking something out of context and applying a unfair  implied underlying comment. 

Archived