Championship deserves a neutral Grand Final

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home advantage for the top ranked team for me. This is promotion to SL we are talking about and finishing top of the league should hold a lot of weight. I do think ranks should be eligable to change during the playoffs though so if 1 lost to 2 then they would give up home advantage etc.

Using 2010 as a good example. Fev were the best team through the league season by some distance and beat Fax I think 3 times before the final and all quite convincingly. We get to the final at a neutral venue and beat them easily(I know, I know) in a one off game. There is no way that we would have deserved to go up that year although if we would have gone to Fev and won then I would say it would be a lot closer on if we deserved it.

Back to my original point though, its ok trying to create a spectacle for neutral fans but this is for promotion to the top league in our sport. fair enough if you want to make it two up and two down system and have top automatically promoted then have the rest play off for a final at a neutral venue like in football but until then finishing top should hold a lot of weight.

10 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Home advantage is only fair if it’s a fair league where each team plays home and away

Why would it be fair in that format for the top club to play more games after proving they’re the best?

8 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Home advantage for the top ranked team for me. This is promotion to SL we are talking about and finishing top of the league should hold a lot of weight. I do think ranks should be eligable to change during the playoffs though so if 1 lost to 2 then they would give up home advantage etc.

Using 2010 as a good example. Fev were the best team through the league season by some distance and beat Fax I think 3 times before the final and all quite convincingly. We get to the final at a neutral venue and beat them easily(I know, I know) in a one off game. There is no way that we would have deserved to go up that year although if we would have gone to Fev and won then I would say it would be a lot closer on if we deserved it.

Back to my original point though, its ok trying to create a spectacle for neutral fans but this is for promotion to the top league in our sport. fair enough if you want to make it two up and two down system and have top automatically promoted then have the rest play off for a final at a neutral venue like in football but until then finishing top should hold a lot of weight.

Have I missed something? I thought you beat us at Warrington in Extra Time by a point.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Why would it be fair in that format for the top club to play more games after proving they’re the best?

Take that point as well. No need for play offs

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Surprised the journalists aren't aware that London Broncos ain't at Ealing no more.

Been a topic on the forum since December last year.

Big ' Events ' are for Super League clubs and Internationals this year.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Championship Grand Final, League 1 Grand final and all or none of: the Academy Grand Final, the Women's Super League Grand Final, the NCL Premier Grand Final should be televised on the Saturday of the penultimate weekend of the season (same Weekend as the Super League Semis) at a neutral venue.

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

I disagree with trl here. The grand final should be at the home ground of the top team, if not what's the point in having regular season games. You may aswell just make it a knockout tournament 

Exactly what it is. You could win every league game and not go up

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Totally agree the Championship final should be at a neutral venue, quite rightly the top club being the League leaders (not Champions as Eddie describes them) have an advantageous route to the final game having home and a lesser number of fixtures which has been earned over the course of a 'normal' season.

This coming season could be anything but normal though, the league leaders could earn that by winning less games than their competitive clubs by means of the system employed if the season if affected by covid, more so it should be at a neutral venue.

Put me in the home advantage camp.

Should be s genuine advantage (and therefore incentive) to finishing higher up the table.

Cup finals should always be played at neutral grounds. Playoffs should be weighted in favour of those more successful.

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

15 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Totally agree the Championship final should be at a neutral venue, quite rightly the top club being the League leaders (not Champions as Eddie describes them) have an advantageous route to the final game having home and a lesser number of fixtures which has been earned over the course of a 'normal' season.

This coming season could be anything but normal though, the league leaders could earn that by winning less games than their competitive clubs by means of the system employed if the season if affected by covid, more so it should be at a neutral venue.

Funny, Martyn was not saying this in 2019.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

8 minutes ago, langpark said:

I think Huddersfield would be a great choice.  Hopefully each year they could build it up into being a big event in its own right, like the SL Grand Final, but on a smaller scale of course.

What it needs is a permanent home, I like that nice idea and helps the Giants good thinking 🙂

Paul

1 hour ago, langpark said:

I think Huddersfield would be a great choice.  Hopefully each year they could build it up into being a big event in its own right, like the SL Grand Final, but on a smaller scale of course.

It is a big event in its own right 😕

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It is a big event in its own right 😕

The date and venue of the SL final is known a year in advance with tickets often going on sale that early too.  With a fixed venue, the same could start happening with the Championship Final.

4 minutes ago, langpark said:

The date and venue of the SL final is known a year in advance with tickets often going on sale that early too.  With a fixed venue, the same could start happening with the Championship Final.

Have you ever attended a previous lower tier final ?

Archived