Dad cars

The first car I can remember my dad having was a Morris Traveller. I then spent a significant part of my childhood in the back of a Hillman Avenger. 

About 3 months into lockdown my dad went full circle and got himself another Morris Traveller. 6 months work later he has a very cool car! 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

2 hours ago, Moose said:

I had a Vauxhall Victor about 1967/8 with a bench seat, column change and only three gears. Not too fond of the bench seat, no seat belt you slid all over the place😀

My uncle had a Victor 101 , loved that car , looked American , always fancied one lowered on Chrome wires , in black with flames over the front , obviously with some furry dice hanging from the mirror 

My dad's first car was a Singer Vogue he got in the early 70s.

When I was a teenager (late 90s) he bought one again for nostalgia reasons and kept it in the garage. Apparently it was only one of 3 remaining right hand drive versions in the world. 

I was still incredibly embarrassed when he took me out in it, but he didn't care one jot! 

39 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

My dad's first car was a Singer Vogue he got in the early 70s.

When I was a teenager (late 90s) he bought one again for nostalgia reasons and kept it in the garage. Apparently it was only one of 3 remaining right hand drive versions in the world. 

I was still incredibly embarrassed when he took me out in it, but he didn't care one jot! 

The car I always wanted as a youth.... and if im honest would love as  second "occasional car" would be a Ford Capri.... bright yellow with the black acrylic roof.

I really would do the proper self deprecating furry dice and other trimmings....

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

The car I always wanted as a youth.... and if im honest would love as  second "occasional car" would be a Ford Capri.... bright yellow with the black acrylic roof.

I really would do the proper self deprecating furry dice and other trimmings....

A mate of mine had one so always fancied having one. Wouldn’t like to be in a head on crash in one though your legs seemed to under the dashboard a mile. 

19 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

A mate of mine had one so always fancied having one. Wouldn’t like to be in a head on crash in one though your legs seemed to under the dashboard a mile. 

In a spooky coincidence a colleague was showng me pictures today of his 2.0s Ford Capri that was written off in a head on crash in 1989. The passenger space was intact but the front end disapperared.

My Dad said we had a Hillman Imp when I was a nipper, but I can't remember it. 

First one I remember was a Renault 16 with the column gearshift. Then it was a Morris Marina, then a bright yellow Fiat 128. That one did some seriously strange things with the electrics.

Then it was Renault 12 that I learned to drive in. Felt like a bus. Day after I passed my test I pranged it on a bridge.

Then it was a Mark 1 Astra, which then became my first ever car A63EHH. Drove it so hard I wasted the gear bearings in months (I think it was that but I'm useless with mechanics). Severe bollo cking

On 19/03/2021 at 12:45, Maximus Decimus said:

Doing being a dad right, that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

thinking back to old cars it just reminds me of daily battles (worse in winter) with the "choke" - whoever invented the automatic version should be knighted and given their own island somewhere sunny.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I think my dad's first car was a Ford Popular, then he bought a Ford Anglia followed by a Hillman (not sure which model), an Austin Allegro and finally an Austin Maxi, hope I've remembered correctly, before being entitled to a company car which was a Ford Cortina reg XKH744X.

Can't remember the Ford Pop reg but the Anglia was DRH489C and the Hillman was BWF87K.

In 1976 he drove us down to Cornwall in the Anglia for a holiday in that baking hot summer. I think we set off at 7am from Hull and arrived in Cornwall at 9pm. Having driven to Cornwall myself not too long ago and deciding to split the journey with an overnight stay at a hotel, his driving efforts for us for that holiday astounds me now. He must have slept rather well that first night.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

My dad hates flying, so any holidays we took away from home involved a lot of time on the road. The furthest was Hungary. Quite a trip, especially as we only intended to go as far as Vienna originally, but got an invitation to stay with a family in Budapest while we were in Austria.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 18/03/2021 at 10:26, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The Isetta? 

My sister once dated a guy who had one of those. Crazy vehicle!

In fact she had an ability to date guys with surreal cars, her next boyfriend had a Citroen DS19, the one which looked like it was from outer space and floated along on hydroelectric suspension. However it was a typical Citroen as it always seemed to break down.

Archived