Challenge Cup BBC streaming figures

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Damien said:

That seems fantastic. I think the debut of Gavin Henson was a huge factor in the West Wales v Widnes figures.

Agreed, it was a big talking point on these boards and in wider circles. Otherwise there is no way a bottom level L1 side against a mid level championship side would ever generate that level of interest.

I'm interested to hear what that poster Cumbrian mackem has to say, amongst others. All they did was moan about the exposure brought about as a result of Henson's media comments. 

19 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Agreed, it was a big talking point on these boards and in wider circles. Otherwise there is no way a bottom level L1 side against a mid level championship side would ever generate that level of interest.

I'm interested to hear what that poster Cumbrian mackem has to say, amongst others. All they did was moan about the exposure brought about as a result of Henson's media comments. 

Indeed, as evidenced by the circa 30k lower figure for what is, to the general RL fan, the far superior quality fixture.

A bit more proof, if any was needed, that the on field alone isn't enough to draw interest in the sport.

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed, as evidenced by the circa 30k lower figure for what is, to the general RL fan, the far superior quality fixture.

A bit more proof, if any was needed, that the on field alone isn't enough to draw interest in the sport.

Call it a ‘narrative’ or in plain language ‘telling a story’.

The die hards will watch whatever so there’s nothing wrong with telling a good story to hook in the casual observer.

I know at least a couple of Welsh lads who tuned in who are normally not bothered. 

15 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Who’d of thought it, there’s considerably more interest in watching expansion clubs than small West Yorkshire towns.

In fairness, Henson apart, I doubt there's much wider interest in watching small West Wales towns either, and Llanelli is about a tenth the size of Bratfut.

21 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Who’d of thought it, there’s considerably more interest in watching expansion clubs than small West Yorkshire towns.

Its not the team, its the story (in this case that story is one man). 

3 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Not much value in novelty hooking people in, unless some of them remain hooked in.

A bar has been set. 70,000-100,000 for this round. Let's see what the figures are for the next round. But there's no reason to be negative at all right now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

A bar has been set. 70,000-100,000 for this round. Let's see what the figures are for the next round. But there's no reason to be negative at all right now.

Totally agree my wife said that if she had known the figures would be so good she would have offered the clubs to put an LED system in for the day and given them some money for the rights .

For streaming these are really very good viewing figures very impressed.

Paul

46 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I am sure West Wales will welcome you turning up to watch them in a home League game later in the season. 

2 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

The viewing figures seem to be very positive. It'd be interesting to know how many would've turned up at Henson first league game had crowds been allowed. 

it would have been a start for Henson himself to "turn up" for the game

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

15 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Are you really saying 100,000 people were all signed in to only watch Rangi Chase

Of course not, the Henson story was THE point of interest in that tie bar non.

In fact it is exactly the sort of reason why WWR signed him.

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

it would have been a start for Henson himself to "turn up" for the game

I didn't think of it like that. But tbh you've got a point. He was a little quiet. Maybe having not played rugby for quite some time may have had a bearing plus he's 39 years old. It's such a shame there's no crowds as people would show up just out of curiosity and then they'd see what a great game they were witnessing. 

17 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

In his first competitive game of RL, Henson should be outshining players like Billy Slater and Jason Robinson. Not good enough.

to be fair he was playing against  a widnes side that would have conceded 70 points against a comparative widnes side of the early 90s - not the roosters 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived