Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Wigan were the same I believe 

Wigan had the chance to sell Central Park to Dave Whelan to be redeveloped, but chose to sell to Tesco's for 3 times that of what DW offered. I am sure they invested most of that in the new stadium venture, but happy to stand corrected.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clever move by Salford with the Salford City Council elections due to 6th May 2021 as it puts pressure on the politicians who own 50% of the stadium to block a sale and helop out the club with rent.

Could Salford not move in with the football team? It's a smaller ground and they'd probably appreciate the financial support!

So another Lancashire clubs looks likely to fade away because they believed unless they got a new ground they would be kicked out of the top flight. They should have just followed  the same model as W

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

It depends on the terms of the lease and whether clubs keep up the payments.  Plus in terms of councils what covenants they apply.

Agreed, and that's what I mean. It all seems unfavourable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Wigan had the chance to sell Central Park to Dave Whelan to be redeveloped, but chose to sell to Tesco's for 3 times that of what DW offered. I am sure they invested most of that in the new stadium venture, but happy to stand corrected.

My memory is Whelan bought Latics and Wigan.  Eventually he sold Wigan Warriors who have a 50 year lease.  Wigan now operate all the sports match day facities around the DW, not sure if they outright own it, but they must get some income in normal times.

Obviously owning a stadium incurs costs. After 50 years it might gave to be rebuilt.  This is a problem a number clubs have run into in previous decades.  Its not all a bed of roses.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

RFL should get a government loan to buy it (or grant if they can feign the right accent for the duration of the call and claim it's for rugger). Call it the Rugby League National Stadium and develop the small sides in turn. 

I've knocked up a quick render. 

download.jpg.0c087ec950677d8c0e7156e44ed301a6.jpg

  • Haha 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So another Lancashire clubs looks likely to fade away because they believed unless they got a new ground they would be kicked out of the top flight. They should have just followed  the same model as Wakefield and Cas and just put all the sky money into half decent antipodeans and salary cap cast offs from other clubs, rather than try to bring then game into the 21st Century.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

My memory is Whelan bought Latics and Wigan.  Eventually he sold Wigan Warriors who have a 50 year lease.  Wigan now operate all the sports match day facities around the DW, not sure if they outright own it, but they must get some income in normal times.

Obviously owning a stadium incurs costs. After 50 years it might gave to be rebuilt.  This is a problem a number clubs have run into in previous decades.  Its not all a bed of roses.

I could run through the whole saga yet again, but I'll just say there is a lot more to it than that.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bostik Bailey said:

So another Lancashire clubs looks likely to fade away because they believed unless they got a new ground they would be kicked out of the top flight. They should have just followed  the same model as Wakefield and Cas and just put all the sky money into half decent antipodeans and salary cap cast offs from other clubs, rather than try to bring then game into the 21st Century.

Painting this as a Lancashire/Yorkshire thing is a very strange thing to do.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Sale buy it, that may well be subject to the existing leases. If not, you would expect that Salford would be entitled to some sort of compensation in lieu of the remaining lease which in turn may well offset against what is owed to the council.

There was some discussion a couple of weeks ago about the land around the stadium being developed. The Sale owners are not stupid and well connected. They will have done there sums. Can’t see Salford getting close.

That being said, can’t see why Sale would want Salford out. If nothing else they help share the bills. Even better make it a year round business and merge the 2. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Link to post
Share on other sites

RL in Manchester feels on life support.  Salford stadium too big and nowhere near the city.  Swinton were talking years ago about building ground but never happened.  Rochdale ground way too big.  Oldham homeless. No Manchester academy. 

This isnt a "they should merge" message but could Salford and Swinton gang up to get a 5000 3G stadium somewhere?

Makes decision to not let in Manchester Rangers look massively short sighted

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Would Salford and Salford FC swapping grounds be advantageous at all, to both sides perhaps. It would certainly fit the prospective probable needs of both clubs current trajectories.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I no fans on the forums pull fev down as a little pit village but were not a village were a town just like many RL teams but unlike many RL teams we own our own stadium about 14 acres of prime biulding land so i say on paper were better off than a lot of so called big boys in SL and we don't even have a suger daddy called sky if sky ever pulled the plug on rugby how many of the so called big teams will survive on gate money alone ??

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HawkMan said:

Would Salford and Salford FC swapping grounds be advantageous at all, to both sides perhaps. It would certainly fit the prospective probable needs of both clubs current trajectories.

No, it wouldn’t. Not that it would happen, Salford City FC have spent loads refurbing their ground and wouldn’t want or need to move to Salford RL’s ground. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

If Sale buy it, that may well be subject to the existing leases. If not, you would expect that Salford would be entitled to some sort of compensation in lieu of the remaining lease which in turn may well offset against what is owed to the council.

There was some discussion a couple of weeks ago about the land around the stadium being developed. The Sale owners are not stupid and well connected. They will have done there sums. Can’t see Salford getting close.

That being said, can’t see why Sale would want Salford out. If nothing else they help share the bills. Even better make it a year round business and merge the 2. 

Sale change their tune constantly. It was literally only a few months ago when they outlined plans for a new ground in Sale and said their future lied there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"plans for a new ground in Sale"

I think this was the aim for sale but they would never have been able to get the planning permission. The plan to buy the current stadium would be a poor 2nd choice.

The AJ bell just isn't in a good location. Imo in this country a sports ground needs to be accessible by public transport, people don't like driving to games.

One thing I want to try when fans are allowed back is to see how long it would take me to walk from the new Trafford Centre tram stop. The stadium will be more viable for both salford and sale if the proposed tram extension that includes the stadium gets built. 

Edited by Mrgameandwatch
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Roughyeds had Watersheddings, Hornets had they're own ground. But they lost them. All I'm saying is that amongst the smaller clubs the fan base has shrunk and aged a fare bit. Rugby league seems to me to be shrinking in greater Manchester. 

A very valid point. I think this might be worth a thread of its own. That area between Rochdale/Oldham across to Huddersfield/Halifax and a bit beyond is under huge pressure in terms of participation numbers.

The game will be gone from Oldham inside a generation if something doesn't change strategically very soon.

I think the Salford situation is serious (and quite tragic given that they (Red Devils) are basically the reason the stadium got built!) so don't want to derail this thread. However the Oldham/Gtr Manchester situation should probably be discussed elsewhere on here too. It is all important stuff IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

RL in Manchester feels on life support.  Salford stadium too big and nowhere near the city.  Swinton were talking years ago about building ground but never happened.  Rochdale ground way too big.  Oldham homeless. No Manchester academy. 

This isnt a "they should merge" message but could Salford and Swinton gang up to get a 5000 3G stadium somewhere?

Makes decision to not let in Manchester Rangers look massively short sighted

100%.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the public transport thing. I’ve found this with football grounds a lot too. Marketing it as “ooh look at us we’re beside the motorway” isn’t good enough. Drives down numbers, young people do not want to drive to games

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, egm said:

I second the public transport thing. I’ve found this with football grounds a lot too. Marketing it as “ooh look at us we’re beside the motorway” isn’t good enough. Drives down numbers, young people do not want to drive to games

How do Sale Sharks get 8000 on average at the same ground? I know a guy who went to watch Glasgow play them at the AJ Bell, and he was enthusing about it. Said it was amazing as there was a non stop procession of free shuttle buses from the Trafford centre. He said he thought he missed his, but another one arrived a minute later. Said they could eat drink etc at the Trafford centre and then just jump on a bus to the stadium and back again. This guy loved it. I can't comment as I went to the last game at the Willows but never tried the AJ Bell.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

How do Sale Sharks get 8000 on average at the same ground? I know a guy who went to watch Glasgow play them at the AJ Bell, and he was enthusing about it. Said it was amazing as there was a non stop procession of free shuttle buses from the Trafford centre. He said he thought he missed his, but another one arrived a minute later. Said they could eat drink etc at the Trafford centre and then just jump on a bus to the stadium and back again. This guy loved it. I can't comment as I went to the last game at the Willows but never tried the AJ Bell.

They don't, they've never averaged 8000 there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

How do Sale Sharks get 8000 on average at the same ground? I know a guy who went to watch Glasgow play them at the AJ Bell, and he was enthusing about it. Said it was amazing as there was a non stop procession of free shuttle buses from the Trafford centre. He said he thought he missed his, but another one arrived a minute later. Said they could eat drink etc at the Trafford centre and then just jump on a bus to the stadium and back again. This guy loved it. I can't comment as I went to the last game at the Willows but never tried the AJ Bell.

they averaged more in Stockport

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think sale has tended to average somewhere around 6500.

I wasn't aware of the shuttle buses from the Trafford Centre. If that's still a thing now the tram stop is there that would make access a lot easier. Salford should try and do something similar.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...