New England Kit

On 29/05/2021 at 01:35, Whippet13 said:

It shouldn't be, men and women have very different body shapes. This is supposed to be the offical England store, not a market stall.

I'll grant you the mugs are fine as unisex though.

There speaks someone who hasn't mistakenly used my wife's mug.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As others have said, as usual it looksIt looks like a cheap, knock off 'England' shirt.

The full playing kit, with the dozen different sponsors, looks even worse. Smacks of a real low end sport that can't find a decent sponsor so sells patches to anyone it can, which is bad enough at club level but is a terrible look for a national team. It also makes the kit look worse because it ruins any semblance of design.

The idea that we can't use a chevron because St Helens do is ludicrous. The FA have no problem using the same basic colour scheme is Tottenham, Preston, Bolton and possibly others. You'd get 5 blokes in Wigan refusing to buy one and that's about it. Throw a tiny bit of blue piping around the edges of the chevron if you really feel the need to distinguish it, lots of English national teams use blue. This really shouldn't be so difficult and yet we continually end up looking cheap.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's anything but basic. What people are describing as their preferred shirt (pain white with maybe a bit of red trim) is basic.

If anything, it's guilty of having too much.

Personally, I like it. It's a modern twist on a retro design.

Also, in response to others, the 2013 shirt did have a cross IIRC. It just wasn't red (was like a silver/grey subtle one).

It's a simple fabric base with a sublimation print and oversized graphics. No cut lines or inserts or interesting detail. It's basic as hell.

Theres nothing modern about it.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I think it will look quite good being worn by the players, and also will stand out if fans wear it in the crowd - from a distance you don't see all the sponsors badges etc. so you'll just see the mostly white with some red.

I would still like to one day see some red chevrons on an England RL shirt - just because that's what I associate with international RL teams - so hopefully they might do that for the next kit, or even some of the training gear.

I won't be buying one, for my usual reasons. That's not a reflection of the shirt, but rather my attitude to (over)pricing, wearing shirts with sponsors, etc.

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure why there is such hatred for the kit

Because it's all a bit meh and we could have told you what it would look like six weeks ago?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Because it's all a bit meh and we could have told you what it would look like six weeks ago?

It's meh to those who don't like the red cross on the kit. 

I find every red v kit that Saints have very meh, but that seems to be what people are wanting here. 

35 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure why there is such hatred for the kit, I think it is smart enough, bold and undoubtedly an England RL World Cup kit.

For me personally its frustration not hatred, I never had high hopes, but still annoys me when something like this is produced to what i perceive to be a poor standard. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, EastLondonMike said:

For me personally its frustration not hatred, I never had high hopes, but still annoys me when something like this is produced to what i perceive to be a poor standard. 

I'm not sure what is poor standard about it. If that cross was a red v, but everything else was identical, I suspect there would be little criticism.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure what is poor standard about it. If that cross was a red v, but everything else was identical, I suspect there would be little criticism.

Maybe from some, but not me personally. My critique is purely based around standards and quality. Not entirely design related, but also fabric interest and detail.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, EastLondonMike said:

Maybe from some, but not me personally. My critique is purely based around standards and quality. Not entirely design related, but also fabric interest and detail.

fair enough, I haven't seen it in person.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

fair enough, I haven't seen it in person.

Nor have i, naturally, but from what i can see, and what i know of sportswear design and production (as embarrassing and cringe as that sounds) i think it should have been a hell of a lot better.

The last ISC kit that featured the St.George flag detail (2011 google tells me) wasn't to my liking, but the quality of the kit itself (St.George flag aside) was of a good standard for the time.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Bear with me on this as it’s sounds overly negative but it’s not it just the reality of the situation. I understand why we need sponsors and why beggars can’t be choosers but...

That shirt will always look ‘cheap’, its just a sum of all its components.

1. Main sponsor- Dacia. There’s nothing wrong with Dacia cars, they are what they are and they do it well but you cannot escape the fact that they are a budget car brand and make some of if not the cheapest cars available in the country.

2. Secondary sponsors - Betfred again im not knocking their sponsorship they put a lot into the game but the logo itself is cheap and nasty and the same goes with Monster

3. the kit provider - small company with no brand recognition outside of the game.

4. the actual design of the shirt, it is just so overly trying to scream ‘we are England’ (in fact so much it says it on the shirt) it looks like one of those cheap knock off replica shirts you get that are trying to look like what people think and England sports shirt would look like.

So add all that up and you get what we’ve got. England RL doesn’t really have an identity as far as a jersey goes (like NZ, Australia, PNG, GB, France etc) unfortunately they seem to want to make the flag slapped on a shirt the identity which will never not look cheap tacky and try hard.

People are moaning about the design but it’s pretty clear that England are going with the St George flag as part of their identity when it comes to shirts. Very few in the last 10 years have not included the St George flag as a prominent feature. Had we decided to move to a V or any other designs, I’m sure people would have moaned. 

I don’t think the design itself is that bad. The material itself and overall quality doesn’t look the best, mind. 

The clamour to criticise, nit pick, smear, undermine and subjugate every effort to promote our game is sickening.

What we need, more than anything (anything else) is a load of new fans, new supporters.

I mean real supporters, not this ever present, cloying fifth column so prevalent in the pages of these forums.

The World Cup is just around the corner for God's sake.

Come on England! 

37 minutes ago, Live after death said:

I like it, cannot moment on the quality. the design itself is very much a copy of the 1995 WC jersey and that's no bad thing as that was easily the best England Rl jersey. 

Like I've said I loved that shirt.

I think it looks tacky but at least they are trying to keep with a constant brand/look with the cross.

I’d like to see it being predominantly red with a white V. Would differentiate us from football/union/cricket but other smaller sports like hockey often focus more on the red. Much more sellable as a leisure product too in that colour.

9 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

The clamour to criticise, nit pick, smear, undermine and subjugate every effort to promote our game is sickening.

What we need, more than anything (anything else) is a load of new fans, new supporters.

I mean real supporters, not this ever present, cloying fifth column so prevalent in the pages of these forums.

The World Cup is just around the corner for God's sake.

Come on England! 

Smear? Tad hyperbolic.

we do need new supporters, on that I agree, but what you’ve got to understand is part of attracting new supporters is by enhancing the brand.

The National kit is part of that brand, and unfortunately at the moment it looks cheap and tacky.

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Smear? Tad hyperbolic.

we do need new supporters, on that I agree, but what you’ve got to understand is part of attracting new supporters is by enhancing the brand.

The National kit is part of that brand, and unfortunately at the moment it looks cheap and tacky.

You say potayto I say potahto, you say tomayto I say tomahto.

Your opinion, and the opinion of the other knockers, is just that, an opinion. A subjective judgement, nothing more.

If I remember correctly, the England flag is white, with a red cross on it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean other's won't.

There's ten pages of this drivel and I'm sick of it.

Every Tom, Dick and 'Arry in here insists on claiming that they know best and what they all have in common, is the seemingly unshakeable conviction, that Rugby League in all it's manifestations, is just not good enough.

Ugh!

With supporters like this, we don't need any enemies. I wish they'd all clear off and ''support'' some other game.

14 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Your opinion, and the opinion of the other knockers, is just that, an opinion. A subjective judgement, nothing more.

If I remember correctly, the England flag is white, with a red cross on it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean other's won't.

Every Tom, Dick and 'Arry in here insists on claiming that they know best and what they all have in common, is the seemingly unshakeable conviction, that Rugby League in all it's manifestations, is just not good enough.

Ugh!

With supporters like this, we don't need any enemies. I wish they'd all clear off and ''support'' some other game.

Of course it’s my opinion.

I actually agree with you that RL supporters are often too overly negative but you’re being over the top on this IMO.

Im sure some people will like the shirt, it’s subjective after all, doesn’t mean RL supporters cannot discuss the image and brand of our National team.

###### shirt or not the single biggest lift that can happen to the England RL brand that can happen is for them to actually win the World Cup.

People on a fans forum discussing the design of the England Shirt aren’t enemies at all, they are discussing something they are passionate about, and they are potential customers of the product, which means if they produce something people don’t like they are losing revenue, just like when people discuss their teams shirt designs.

Ive bought far too many RL shirts over the years but ti be honest I’ve never bought an England one because I don’t want to wear a flag with sponsors on it, you can obviously disagree with that sentiment and buy one if you like.

I take issue with your last line, Ive been a RL supporter for pretty much my whole life and its one of my main passions, so your ‘with supporters like these’ line is utter rubbish, Ive just commented on the shirt and the England RL brand, it hasn’t stopped me spending over a grand in tickets for the opening game has it.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

Ugh!

Slowly step away from the computer and have a beer.. lifes too short to get that fed up/worked up over an Internet opinion forum.  

What people think and post on here will have very little effect on whether people watch the sport or not to be fair. 

Archived