Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So Salford add nothing ?

Which Million £ game is the most talked about, especially with non RL fans?

Which cup final was the closest and most exciting in recent year?

Which play off attracted the most attention in recent years because it was a new face?

There is a clue in there somewhere.

There may be fans that want a closed shop of 6 teams such as St Helens, Wigan, Leeds and Warrington  but fans would soon be bored of that and Sky wouldn't pay for it if viewing figures drop.

Some fans might not believe that teams such as Salford, Huddersfield, Wakefield add anything but the sport  would be poorer with out them all.

Salford need to attract investment and I hope that the sponsorship by Morson will mean that Salford continue to play at AJ Bell. They will however need to pay the rent.

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So Salford add nothing ? Which Million £ game is the most talked about, especially with non RL fans? Which cup final was the closest and most exciting in recent year? Which play off att

I think he's a bit busy right now

Maybe they could groundshare with Dewsbury?

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

So Salford add nothing ?

Which Million £ game is the most talked about, especially with non RL fans?

Which cup final was the closest and most exciting in recent year?

Which play off attracted the most attention in recent years because it was a new face?

There is a clue in there somewhere.

There may be fans that want a closed shop of 6 teams such as St Helens, Wigan, Leeds and Warrington  but fans would soon be bored of that and Sky wouldn't pay for it if viewing figures drop.

Some fans might not believe that teams such as Salford, Huddersfield, Wakefield add anything but the sport  would be poorer with out them all.

Salford need to attract investment and I hope that the sponsorship by Morson will mean that Salford continue to play at AJ Bell. They will however need to pay the rent.

I don't think anyone has an issue with what Salford have achieved on the field in recent times, but the truth is that that Million Pound Game, the Grand Final appearance and everything else doesn't really seem to be translating into increased interest in Salford, the competition or more cash in the till. 

The argument is not about whether or not the sport needs "underdog stories", but whether the sport needs clubs that seem to go from crisis to crisis, bucket collection to bucket collection, still can't pay a salary cap that is way lower than it should be and still can't generate interest despite their successes. It's possible to have the first one without the second. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I don't think anyone has an issue with what Salford have achieved on the field in recent times, but the truth is that that Million Pound Game, the Grand Final appearance and everything else doesn't really seem to be translating into increased interest in Salford, the competition or more cash in the till. 

The argument is not about whether or not the sport needs "underdog stories", but whether the sport needs clubs that seem to go from crisis to crisis, bucket collection to bucket collection, still can't pay a salary cap that is way lower than it should be and still can't generate interest despite their successes. It's possible to have the first one without the second. 

I think that's harsh when they played in the Grand Final in 2019 and we've had Covid practically since the start of the following season. They also got to the Challenge Cup final in 2020, in a year when due to Covid no fans could go. Any club would struggle to capitalise on their relative success in those circumstances.

As is their attendances did rise around the Grand Final and the very start of 2020 and they took great support to Old Trafford. It's just a pity covid struck when it did.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I don't think anyone has an issue with what Salford have achieved on the field in recent times, but the truth is that that Million Pound Game, the Grand Final appearance and everything else doesn't really seem to be translating into increased interest in Salford, the competition or more cash in the till. 

The argument is not about whether or not the sport needs "underdog stories", but whether the sport needs clubs that seem to go from crisis to crisis, bucket collection to bucket collection, still can't pay a salary cap that is way lower than it should be and still can't generate interest despite their successes. It's possible to have the first one without the second. 

And yet many people clamour for the likes of Bradford, York, Featherstone, Leigh etc who have all had financial crises and issues to replace the likes of Salford, Huddersfield, Wakefield etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, meast said:

And yet many people clamour for the likes of Bradford, York, Featherstone, Leigh etc who have all had financial crises and issues to replace the likes of Salford, Huddersfield, Wakefield etc.

Who's clamouring for us Meast ? 🤔😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Errr...... None of them? 

Does anybody outside the Rugby League fanbase even know (or care) what the "million pound game" is? 

Sadly this is the reality. I saw it, it was very dramatic and a great finish to the game. But beyond a bunch of RL fans pretty much nobody would have a clue what you were on about if you asked them about it. 

That's not a crime, most people don't recall most sports events unless it's something like 'they think it's all over' or something. Nor does it mean Salford should be 'booted out' of anywhere. But let's not pretend it's a good example of a reason why clubs are doing ok. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I don't think anyone has an issue with what Salford have achieved on the field in recent times, but the truth is that that Million Pound Game, the Grand Final appearance and everything else doesn't really seem to be translating into increased interest in Salford, the competition or more cash in the till. 

The argument is not about whether or not the sport needs "underdog stories", but whether the sport needs clubs that seem to go from crisis to crisis, bucket collection to bucket collection, still can't pay a salary cap that is way lower than it should be and still can't generate interest despite their successes. It's possible to have the first one without the second. 

But there have not been any fans for a year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Errr...... None of them? 

Does anybody outside the Rugby League fanbase even know (or care) what the "million pound game" is? 

People I work with non league fans all saw the result and watched the replays.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a shame that after all the publicity that the Dr brought SRD followed by the 2 finals hasn't increased the crowds (Pre covid) I met a couple of Salford directors by chance at a lunch in Spain a couple of years ago and the situation that the Dr left the club in was not a pretty picture there still seems to be a lot of debt.

I still feel sorry for John Willkinson he put his heart and soul into the club and a lovely guy to boot.

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Red Willow said:

People I work with non league fans all saw the result and watched the replays.

Fair enough. I presume they are from Salford or thereabouts.

Most people I know would have no clue who Salford Red Devils are, or Salford Reds, or Salford City Reds. They certainly would have no idea about a "million pound game".

I think the situation is tragic. Salford were moving to their new stadium in a blaze of publicity. The stadium (below pictured in the MEN) never materialised and they ended up with 4 ikea-style stands. Still - a nice new stadium.

Then Sale appeared on the horizon.

Now, somehow.... Salford are looking like becoming tenants of a rugby union club, while Sale Sharks, who already own a top of the range training facility, and are not from Salford..... are now going to buy the stadium from what is effectively Salford City Council (partnered with a developer). 

Utterly tragic chain of events. I wish Salford all the best - the game (I firmly believe) needs a strong Salford team. They are one of very few city-based clubs we have at pro level, and without them we run the risk of filling the League with small towns who nobody has really heard of. 

 

 

C_71_article_1200312_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2021 at 12:52, Whippet13 said:

I don't understand how any new owner can kick Salford out or put the rent up if they have an existing tenancy agreement in place. Unless it's full of regular rent reviews etc which is poor foresight by whomever owned Salford when it was signed.

Marwan Koukash said many times that the deal Salford had at the AJ Bell was the worst deal around.

So I assume that it was his predecessor John Wilkinson,so called”Mr Salford”who signed it.

Now a song by Alanis Morrisette comes to mind with the lyrics”Ooh this could be messy”with this situation.

 

And if I was a Salford fan I would be very worried right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2021 at 12:52, Whippet13 said:

I don't understand how any new owner can kick Salford out or put the rent up if they have an existing tenancy agreement in place. Unless it's full of regular rent reviews etc which is poor foresight by whomever owned Salford when it was signed.

Marwan Koukash said many times that the deal Salford had at the AJ Bell was the worst deal around.

So I assume that it was his predecessor John Wilkinson,so called”Mr Salford”who signed it.

Now a song by Alanis Morrisette comes to mind with the lyrics”Ooh this could be messy”with this situation.

 

And if I was a Salford fan I would be very worried right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/05/2021 at 12:52, Whippet13 said:

I don't understand how any new owner can kick Salford out or put the rent up if they have an existing tenancy agreement in place. Unless it's full of regular rent reviews etc which is poor foresight by whomever owned Salford when it was signed.

Marwan Koukash said many times that the deal Salford had at the AJ Bell was the worst deal around.

So I assume that it was his predecessor John Wilkinson,so called”Mr Salford”who signed it.

Now a song by Alanis Morrisette comes to mind with the lyrics”Ooh this could be messy”with this situation.

 

And if I was a Salford fan I would be very worried right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Marwan Koukash said many times that the deal Salford had at the AJ Bell was the worst deal around.

So I assume that it was his predecessor John Wilkinson,so called”Mr Salford”who signed it.

Now a song by Alanis Morrisette comes to mind with the lyrics”Ooh this could be messy”with this situation.

 

And if I was a Salford fan I would be very worried right now.

You can say that again.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Salford are looking to bid for Gigg Lane surely a bid for the A J BELL  would be feasible too ? 

In the 90s Leeds Rl were in severe financial trouble and nearly got bought out by Leeds United new owners Caspian and the RL side would move to ER 4 miles to the south of the city while the RU club would stay . I would not have moved with them . Not long after Caspian left and Leeds RL would have been homeless. I wonder what that great RU legend who is now part of Sale and once had a little stint with Wigan thinks to his club 

 Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Link to post
Share on other sites

No disrespect intended, but Salford RLFC had a perfectly serviceable ground situated between Kennedy rd, and Weaste Lane, they sold it and built an inaccessible pile of ###### in the middle of nowhere, shared with a Union club, sold the naming rights to a solicitor who supports Union, and now they expect the local council to pull them out of the mire, while Swinton are not getting planning permission for a stadium in the M27 postcode that they deserve.

The Willows could have been redeveloped. The North Stand was one of the best places to watch Rugby League from, although it was a long way from the nearest bar, and burger stall, the "Main Stand" could quite easy have been demolished and redeveloped within planning permission to accommodate decent sized changing rooms fit for the 21st century (Did anyone on here change in there? The rooms were appalling.), rebuild the Weaste Road stand, rebuild Kennedy Rd to a three tier full length stand, keep the social club, but revamp it, the church and school opposite had been demolished, so car parking was not a problem, reopen the burger/bars under the North Stand, and you had a place that Brian Snape suggested could hold Internationals.

Edited by Bleep1673
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Where were you last Thursday?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

Marwan Koukash said many times that the deal Salford had at the AJ Bell was the worst deal around.

So I assume that it was his predecessor John Wilkinson,so called”Mr Salford”who signed it.

Now a song by Alanis Morrisette comes to mind with the lyrics”Ooh this could be messy”with this situation.

 

And if I was a Salford fan I would be very worried right now.

It was Marwan who signed the deal, Wilkinson had nowt to do with it.

I was on the committee at Irlam Hornets, and met John Wilkinson when he stepped on board as a main sponsor, and he came across as a very astute businessman. I don't think he would sign a naming rights to a Union fan, he was League 100%.

Edited by Bleep1673

Where were you last Thursday?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I played at the Willows, and at Station Road, the changing rooms were so different. Willows you could barely swing a cat, Station Road, all the team could get into the huge bath.

  • Like 1

Where were you last Thursday?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

No disrespect intended, but Salford RLFC had a perfectly serviceable ground situated between Kennedy rd, and Weaste Lane, they sold it and built an inaccessible pile of in the middle of nowhere, shared with a Union club, sold the naming rights to a solicitor who supports Union, and now they expect the local council to pull them out of the mire, while Swinton are not getting planning permission for a stadium in the M27 postcode that they deserve.

The Willows could have been redeveloped. The North Stand was one of the best places to watch Rugby League from, although it was a long way from the nearest bar, and burger stall, the "Main Stand" could quite easy have been demolished and redeveloped within planning permission to accommodate decent sized changing rooms fit for the 21st century (Did anyone on here change in there? The rooms were appalling.), rebuild the Weaste Road stand, rebuild Kennedy Rd to a three tier full length stand, keep the social club, but revamp it, the church and school opposite had been demolished, so car parking was not a problem, reopen the burger/bars under the North Stand, and you had a place that Brian Snape suggested could hold Internationals.

I cannot see any stadium being built in Swinton in my lifetime.Agecroft is in my opinion a pipe dream, and let’s face it,it does not take 30 years going on to build a damned stadium.I bet it didn’t take 30 years to say build The Emirates for Arsenal FC or the new White Hart Lane for Tottenham.

Agecroft is unfortunately simply not financially viable. And unfortunately I don’t think any new stadium within the borders of Salford City Council are either,whoever it is for.

Salford I fear,and I ain’t a Salford fan are going to do down the same or similar road that Swinton have been on since 1992.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robthegasman said:

I cannot see any stadium being built in Swinton in my lifetime.Agecroft is in my opinion a pipe dream, and let’s face it,it does not take 30 years going on to build a damned stadium.I bet it didn’t take 30 years to say build The Emirates for Arsenal FC or the new White Hart Lane for Tottenham.

Agecroft is unfortunately simply not financially viable. And unfortunately I don’t think any new stadium within the borders of Salford City Council are either,whoever it is for.

Salford I fear,and I ain’t a Salford fan are going to do down the same or similar road that Swinton have been on since 1992.

 

 

Evicted by their more powerful and richer tenants, supported by their richer soliciters? Much like Coventry City.

Where were you last Thursday?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...