State of Origin I

Couple of things that I really enjoyed, in their small way, was Tommy Turbo playing the attacking role he did, and doubling up in the centres with Mitchell and also playing the classic attacking FB role. The other thing was the first set of the game which was nearly all hit ups by outside backs, getting quick metres and even quicker play the balls.

Like I say just small things, but think it shows what a clever thinker Brad Fittler is. As both worked well.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO that's the kind of result NSW should have got last year as well.  Their 1-5 are vastly better than Queensland. Last year they got blinded by the Wayne Bennett legend (and Queensland played better).  Queensland can improve but fundamentally its hard to see Feldt, Coates, Gagai and Capewell competing against the NSW backline.

It will be interesting to see how much Coates improves at the Storm. Right now he's really not a very good winger unless in open space or competing for attacking high balls. He's a big guy but has zero impact running the ball out of defence (far worse than the much lighter Addo-Carr for example), and its no surprise NSW aimed kicks at him all night because in defence he's guaranteed to make at least one major howler.

Queensland's only hope in Game 2 is that NSW don't get stuck in with intensity and Queensland play a lot better. 

2 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

IMO that's the kind of result NSW should have got last year as well.  Their 1-5 are vastly better than Queensland. Last year they got blinded by the Wayne Bennett legend (and Queensland played better).  Queensland can improve but fundamentally its hard to see Feldt, Coates, Gagai and Capewell competing against the NSW backline.

It will be interesting to see how much Coates improves at the Storm. Right now he's really not a very good winger unless in open space or competing for attacking high balls. He's a big guy but has zero impact running the ball out of defence (far worse than the much lighter Addo-Carr for example), and its no surprise NSW aimed kicks at him all night because in defence he's guaranteed to make at least one major howler.

Queensland's only hope in Game 2 is that NSW don't get stuck in with intensity and Queensland play a lot better. 

It`s marvelous how often the team that wins first never quite seem to be up for it as much in the second game, almost as if right on script. But that`s o.k. by me, as we all like a decider.

Fittler will be torn between keeping his paymaster, Channel 9, happy and going to a decider in Sydney and on the other hand wanting to wrap the series up in game two to salvage his record as a coach, especially as he was shown up so badly by Bennett last year. He has mentioned that he`d like to get back into club coaching again, it would probably be wise for him to follow the Mal Meninga path and stick to coaching rep teams, safer that way, you`re not going to have a roster like NSW at club level and there`s no way a top club will let him any where their team given his past results.

Coates I expect will be a different player after a stint at the Storm, firstly I expect Bellamy to change his body position when bringing the ball out of his own end, a bloke his size should not be getting driven backwards like he does.

6 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

To be fair to Fittler, I think he did. It takes real balls as a coach to play to your team’s strengths to the extent that you ignore established structural thinking... like Kevin Keegan’s Newcastle but with a competently organised defence at the same time.

NSW either played with two FB in attack, like a triple (?) pivot, or a modern version of the inside/outside centre instead of left/right? I’m going to have to watch the game again to see what it was really, but whatever it was a team led by a defensive-orientated coach couldn’t handle it. Most of the outside backs’ impact was through the middle as well - apparently the back 5 of NSW made 1,000 metres alone. That’s nuts, like off the charts nuts. 

The killer moment for me was TT, the notional right centre, playing in a left edge sweep pulling off a left-foot grubber for MM the left centre to score. Love it 

The back line set the tone when they took the first hit ups of the game instead of the pack.

8 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Is that the same Jack Wighton who has been out of form for most of this season and can’t make the Blues run on side ?

Walker & Walsh,behave they are talented & have huge potential but are nowhere near the best in the world.

C’mon mate, don’t upset him.

Rocket - Coates is a real project player for the Storm.  He's often compared to Greg Inglis, but apart from similar size he has nowhere near the impact.  Put him in space and he's quick, and he can catch an attacking high ball (although he actually spills a lot forward as he nearly always goes for the catch rather than knocking it back) but in almost every other respect he's barely NRL standard.  He certainly isn't worth the Broncos paying big money to keep when they have more important positions to worry about. 

Queensland have really poor threequarter choices at the moment. The fact that a plodder like Feldt got picked aged 29 speaks volumes. Gagai is nearly done at 30 and they have to use a second row in the centres as well.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It`s marvelous how often the team that wins first never quite seem to be up for it as much in the second game, almost as if right on script. But that`s o.k. by me, as we all like a decider.

So true. Only 2 of the last 10 series were decided inside two games - and that takes into account arguably the greatest Queensland team in history.

I think this year's series will be settled before they even get to Sydney, though.

NSW must be odds-on for only their 3rd Origin clean sweep. Queensland came from 0-1 down to win in 2017 and 2013, but it's not happening this time.

Now they've paired the outstanding Luai with his brilliant Penrith mate Cleary, NSW have unlocked the attacking potential of their awesome three-quarter line. And they'll have Ryan Papenhuyzen in contention for the next one.

State of Origin continued its` slide in the TV ratings, ignoring last year end of seasons series, it recorder its lowest metro figure since 2008 with 1 911 000 viewers. That`s 270 000 metro lower than 2019`s  2 180 000 metro, which in turn was the lowest since 2008.

Comparisons with 2019 figure followed by 2021.

Sydney: 950 000, 861 000

Brisbane: 746 000, 609 000

Melbourne: 273 000, 246 000

I don`t have 2019 figures for Perth or Adelaide but last night rated 107 000 and 88 000 respectively.

It`s still a very strong figure for Brisbane with a population of 2.5m, but for a city that in a 2017 Nielsens survey, 40% of its` residents ranked League as their number one sport, it is still definitely heading in the wrong direction.

Something I like to take note of is how many people stick around for the post-match wrap-up. I think this gives a very rough rule of thumb of how keen people actually are and is useful in the case of Perth and Adelaide to get a very rough idea how a team may fare if we ever expand there. Melbourne got 84 000 which is roughly in line with a big club game and probably reveals the amount of people now that take more than a passing interest in the game, Perth and Adelaide 38 000 and 33 000 respectively. Probably reveals that you have to have your own team, flying teams in and out in an ad hoc manner will not grow the audience, the difference with Melbourne is interesting.

18 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Most dominant backline display I’ve seen in a top level game of RL,the Blues displayed every skill today,great to watch.

Exactly what I saw when watching it Dav, I doubt any other team on the planet could live with an Aussie team that included Cleary, Munster (he would be in my Aussie team), Tommy Turbo, Mitchell, Tedesco and perm any two of of at least a dozen elegible wingers.

And what a joy to see two centre's playing together instead of being 30 yards apart a throw back to 30 years ago, following on from last weeks Cas demolition of Warrington by Mr Powell employing yesteryear's tactics are we set for a renaissance to proper RL?

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Exactly what I saw when watching it Dav, I doubt any other team on the planet could live with an Aussie team that included Cleary, Munster (he would be in my Aussie team), Tommy Turbo, Mitchell, Tedesco and perm any two of of at least a dozen elegible wingers.

And what a joy to see two centre's playing together instead of being 30 yards apart a throw back to 30 years ago, following on from last weeks Cas demolition of Warrington by Mr Powell employing yesteryear's tactics are we set for a renaissance to proper RL?

Yeah halfbacks & centres playing the same side of the pitch was great to see and when you have a player like Tedesco (still consistently the best) chiming in also the Qld defence just couldn’t cope.

As for the World Cup,will Meninga employ the same tactics,will the games be officiated in a similar way,if the answers are yes,then Wane has some major problems 

I loved the way Turbo played in attack and the way Fittler said he just let him be himself . In an age of structures and many players playing in a set spot playing a set role , its great to see someone with natural talent just running around getting involved like he’s on the local park . I couldn’t believe it when he was standing there next to Mitchell ! Also very clever when you’ve got someone like that , why limit his scope and involvement . Just get involved around the ball . 

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah halfbacks & centres playing the same side of the pitch was great to see and when you have a player like Tedesco (still consistently the best) chiming in also the Qld defence just couldn’t cope.

As for the World Cup,will Meninga employ the same tactics,will the games be officiated in a similar way,if the answers are yes,then Wane has some major problems 

Cas lined players up on one side against Wire last week. Nearly scored one and scored the other.  Nothing original from some Aussie brains trust.

3 hours ago, BrisbaneRhino said:

Rocket - Coates is a real project player for the Storm.  He's often compared to Greg Inglis, but apart from similar size he has nowhere near the impact.  Put him in space and he's quick, and he can catch an attacking high ball (although he actually spills a lot forward as he nearly always goes for the catch rather than knocking it back) but in almost every other respect he's barely NRL standard.  He certainly isn't worth the Broncos paying big money to keep when they have more important positions to worry about. 

Queensland have really poor threequarter choices at the moment. The fact that a plodder like Feldt got picked aged 29 speaks volumes. Gagai is nearly done at 30 and they have to use a second row in the centres as well.

Sounds like England with Bateman at centre and over 30s on the wings. Tight game you can hold on somewhat, when it opens up class  and pace will destroy you every time.

14 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Is that the same Jack Wighton who has been out of form for most of this season and can’t make the Blues run on side ?

Walker & Walsh,behave they are talented & have huge potential but are nowhere near the best in the world.

It is the same Jack WIghton who won the Dally M Player of the Year in 2020, and who was put on the bench only because coach Fittler rightly thought Wighton is still an outstanding player, but that the Penrith club's Jerome Luai combination with Nathan Cleary was a stronger halves partnership than Wighton-Cleary. It is that Jack Wighton.

20 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

It is the same Jack WIghton who won the Dally M Player of the Year in 2020, and who was put on the bench only because coach Fittler rightly thought Wighton is still an outstanding player, but that the Penrith club's Jerome Luai combination with Nathan Cleary was a stronger halves partnership than Wighton-Cleary. It is that Jack Wighton.

But still the same one who has struggled for form this season and is seen as a utility bench player at Rep level,so hardly one of the best in the world then.

I also noted you left Fifita off your list despite labelling him the best player in the world a matter of weeks ago.

31 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

But still the same one who has struggled for form this season and is seen as a utility bench player at Rep level,so hardly one of the best in the world then.

I also noted you left Fifita off your list despite labelling him the best player in the world a matter of weeks ago.

Wighton is a funny one. He is a quality player but not creative enough or a good enough kicking game to be a really top quality 6.  And at centre and fullback there are better option this year for NSW. He is a good bench player though as he is a destructive runner and can play multiple back positions.

By the way, when did Manfred Mann say Fifita was the best player in the world?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

57 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

There was an article in the paper over here during the week headlined something like " Fittler agonises for weeks before choosing Laui over Wighton".

In the 90`s when St. George made two GF`s in four years and the Roosters weren`t making anything, Fittler still getting picked over Anthony Mundine at five-eight for NSW and Oz, although many good judges said Fittler played like he was wearing a dinner suit and also had Phil Gould on his side. Meanwhile Mundine was running amok and carried St. Georges attack into the `96 GF. I was there that day and he was the only Saint that looked like making a break and he did, even though Manly with their record breaking defence knew it was coming, they couldn`t stop him.

I think there was this perception that the black kid couldn`t be trusted in the halves, too flaky whatever, better give it to the safe pair of hands. Bloody shame though, because we lost one of the great talents at the peak of his powers.

If Wighton had of been picked over Laui this week it would have been the same old nonsense over again, can`t trust the kid. I`m not the greatest fan of Freddy, but he did the right thing and it was probably the combination of Laui and Cleary that helped to set Tommy and Latrell loose last night.

Funny because I always knew Freddy was a student of history, his nickname when Gould went to Penrith was `Adolf` as in Adolf Fittler ( nothing to do with his politics they would have just thought it was funny that is, his mates in their history class). Any way Gould said we better change that, hence Freddy.

27 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Adolf` as in Adolf Fittler ( nothing to do with his politics they would have just thought it was funny that is, his mates in their history class)

That is funny tbh 

Archived