Should hetherington retire

It's been a difficult time for our clubs during Covid and indeed for clubs in other sports. 

It's important to look how leaders in our sport present themselves and perception about capability is tangible. 

The stand out failure for me in the last two to three years has been Gary hetherington, epitomised in recent weeks by the loss of Kevin Sinfield to a rival sport. 

Leeds rhino's as a club should in all fairness be able to match what Leicester tigers achieve financially and hetherington has survived on past glories, with a highly inflated salary for far too long. 

Surely other people can see this 

Gary Hetherington has managed perhaps the single greatest revenue loss in Rugby League during covid times with Headingley being shut, he's also seen the game come round to his way of thinking politically with a move to a united SL/RFL, he's done all this whilst keeping Leeds relatively successful in winning a cup.

If that is failure...

14 minutes ago, The storm said:

Leeds rhino's as a club should in all fairness be able to match what Leicester tigers achieve financially and hetherington has survived on past glories, with a highly inflated salary for far too long. 

I agree that Leeds have somewhat stagnated in the last few seasons both on and off the pitch, but how much of this can be directly attributed to Hetherington is questionable.

The buzz in Leeds is understandably now all about Leeds United, and where a few years ago you would see many Rhinos shirts around town these have been replaced by youngsters in football shirts. The Rhinos overachieved for a period, United massively underachieved. Now the roles are reversed and we're probably back to a more natural balance of the popularity of the two clubs in the city.

Hetherington can try all he might, but where we once we had RL almost within touching distance of Leeds United crowd wise, those days are gone and unlikely to ever return.

As for Leicester Tigers, see the Kevin Sinfield thread. In a nutshell, union is a far more popular game.

1 hour ago, The storm said:

It's been a difficult time for our clubs during Covid and indeed for clubs in other sports. 

It's important to look how leaders in our sport present themselves and perception about capability is tangible. 

The stand out failure for me in the last two to three years has been Gary hetherington, epitomised in recent weeks by the loss of Kevin Sinfield to a rival sport. 

Leicester are one of the richer clubs, big fan base and attendances. I assume they could outbid Leeds (unfortunately) 

1 hour ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

Hetherington can try all he might, but where we once we had RL almost within touching distance of Leeds United crowd wise, those days are gone and unlikely to ever return.

Depends.  Do you think Leeds United will be in the first division for ever ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 minutes ago, Griff said:

Depends.  Do you think Leeds United will be in the first division for ever ?

Maybe, maybe not. But a Rhinos resurgence would need to coincide with any United relegation to take full advantage. For those two elements to align is down to luck rather than planning, and even then Leeds United would still be the most popular club in the city.

2 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Kevin Sinfield may be leaving but watching Jack Sinfield playing for Leeds U16's last night I think Leeds have another gem on their hands.

The King is dead long live the King.

Could he follow his dad to union just like the Farrells? Great kicking game by all accounts.

3 hours ago, The storm said:

LOL.

53 minutes ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

Maybe, maybe not. But a Rhinos resurgence would need to coincide with any United relegation to take full advantage. For those two elements to align is down to luck rather than planning, and even then Leeds United would still be the most popular club in the city.

Soccer's very popular anywhere.  I don't understand that view myself but the fact remains.   Changing your Head Honcho won't change that.  It's laughable to suggest that it would.

The fact is that Leeds Rhinos are the most commercially successful club in the country.   They don't need to win everything every year.  Nor would it be good for the game if they did.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Gary Hetherington has managed perhaps the single greatest revenue loss in Rugby League during covid times with Headingley being shut, he's also seen the game come round to his way of thinking politically with a move to a united SL/RFL, he's done all this whilst keeping Leeds relatively successful in winning a cup.

If that is failure...

Him having his claws into some of the numpties at Red Hall over the years has also led to them adopting some of his stupid ideas like Club-Call, Super 8's & Dual-Reg. and not making thing like a reserve grade mandatory for all SL teams.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Didn't Hetherington oversee the massive modernisation of Headingley, bringing it into the 21st century and making it one of the few RL grounds that looks attractive on TV and would appeal to a wider audience (e.g. I hardly think seeing Wakeys ground on TV is going to enthuse youngsters to want to take up the game)

He also was one of the few SL chairmen to back the Wolfpack staying in the game. So to me he is one of the few with a vision to genuinely expand the game.

If anything, the game needs more like him. 

4 hours ago, The storm said:

I think if Gary had plans to step back any time soon, then Sinfield would have stayed - always thought he was the CEO succession plan 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

42 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Him having his claws into some of the numpties at Red Hall over the years has also led to them adopting some of his stupid ideas like Club-Call, Super 8's & Dual-Reg. and not making thing like a reserve grade mandatory for all SL teams.

Great post. Apart from the made up stuff about Hetherington being behind club call and super 8s and that paranoia Saints fans seem to have about him controlling the RFL.

1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I think if Gary had plans to step back any time soon, then Sinfield would have stayed - always thought he was the CEO succession plan 

It was but firstly Sinfield needed to be up to and up for the job. And he wasn't.

1 minute ago, M j M said:

It was but firstly Sinfield needed to be up to and up for the job. And he wasn't.

Hmmm maybe; on the former element I’m not sure the role he was in was a reasonable assessment criteria - very different types of job. If he’s decided he wants to be actively coaching not on the enterprise side, then ok fair enough eh 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

12 minutes ago, M j M said:

Great post. Apart from the made up stuff about Hetherington being behind club call and super 8s and that paranoia Saints fans seem to have about him controlling the RFL.

It's not just " SUPER 8 " That upsets him its also 7 9 and 11 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Hmmm maybe; on the former element I’m not sure the role he was in was a reasonable assessment criteria - very different types of job. If he’s decided he wants to be actively coaching not on the enterprise side, then ok fair enough eh

Let me put it this way: Gary Hetherington is the Chief Executive of a multi-million pound retailing and corporate events business. Just because that conglomerate also runs a Rugby League club on the side doesn't mean you should or would give the top job to someone with a business degree, two years in a secondary admin role but a great playing career.

Least of all when the position is to fill the shoes of the most successful British Rugby League administrator of the past 40 years.

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Let me put it this way: Gary Hetherington is the Chief Executive of a multi-million pound retailing and corporate events business. Just because that conglomerate also runs a Rugby League club on the side doesn't mean you should or would give the top job to someone with a business degree, two years in a secondary admin role but a great playing career.

Least of all when the position is to fill the shoes of the most successful British Rugby League administrator of the past 40 years.

It's theories like that that saw Hull KR appoint Jamie Peacock in a role which saw his ego get the better of him and the club relegated. Not sure his GB management role worked out well either.

2 hours ago, M j M said:

On the real world scale of things it’s quite a small business though to be honest mate, and has experienced people in charge of each ‘tower’ underneath; but regardless it’s not happened and that’s a sign he’s hanging around 

19 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

It's theories like that that saw Hull KR appoint Jamie Peacock in a role which saw his ego get the better of him and the club relegated. Not sure his GB management role worked out well either.

If only you knew what you were on about… Hudgell, Crossland and Mike Smith were all in place throughout Peacock’s short tenure, so he was miles away from a commercial leadership role or certainly any blame on that score. He also had bog-all to do with our relegation.

I’m also not sure we’d have secured McGuire and Tony Smith without him, which to be honest was the turning point for us between serial short-termism and the long-term platform we have now 

But apart from those huge misreads, you’ve got a point 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

If only you knew what you were on about… Hudgell, Crossland and Mike Smith were all in place throughout Peacock’s short tenure, so he was miles away from a commercial leadership role or certainly any blame on that score. He also had bog-all to do with our relegation.

I’m also not sure we’d have secured McGuire and Tony Smith without him, which to be honest was the turning point for us between serial short-termism and the long-term platform we have now 

But apart from those huge misreads, you’ve got a point 😂😂😂

"Head of Rugby" has nothing to do with relegation?

14 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

"Head of Rugby" has nothing to do with relegation?

No. His job didn’t relate to the short-term performance of the first team. Sorry la. 

10 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

But apart from those huge misreads, you’ve got a point

I've decided to put this quote from you on the end of every Total Forum thread it belong everywhere!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived