France officially to bid to host 2025 Rugby League World Cup

9 hours ago, Damien said:

Ok so you don't know. I would presume the same but like I said it's a new situation for the world Cup in its current format.

No I don’t know for sure but a precedent was set in 2013 when Wales didn’t need to qualify when it was a joint England/Wales World Cup. You’d hope (but nothing would surprise me!) that this would be the same.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Scubby said:

France don't need to be a powerhouse right now. They just need to put on an amazing WC and build off the legacy.

Spot on, we don't need to be impatience. The WC is part of their continued development of RL in France, not the end-game.

11 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

No I don’t know for sure but a precedent was set in 2013 when Wales didn’t need to qualify when it was a joint England/Wales World Cup. You’d hope (but nothing would surprise me!) that this would be the same.

We do know for sure. PNG were granted auto qualification for 2017 once they became a host nation. Wales ween't asked to qualify in 2013, although not many teams were. 

We have never asked a host nation to qualify, other sports don't do it, we won't do it.

20 minutes ago, Scubby said:

France don't need to be a powerhouse right now. They just need to put on an amazing WC and build off the legacy.

Correct. If it helps them build, lay foundations and hopefully get a bit of Government funding then that's job done and it can certainly be a springboard to build for the future. It could accelerate the games development by years.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We do know for sure. PNG were granted auto qualification for 2017 once they became a host nation. Wales ween't asked to qualify in 2013, although not many teams were. 

We have never asked a host nation to qualify, other sports don't do it, we won't do it.

I agree. France have let themselves down a few times already missing out on 4 nations comps. It also unnecessarily eats into a WC cycle for the hosts. Their 2025 WC PR team will need every day they have available with the national team to make this a success.

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I wasn't sure if co-hosts were awarded the same status as the main hosts but it seems so. I know PNG were added much later as co-hosts to Australia and NZ and were not part of the original bid but as you say still got automatic qualification.

It does make France a shoe in should they get the 2025 RLWC, which is great.

Just now, Damien said:

I wasn't sure if co-hosts were awarded the same status as the main hosts but it seems so. I know PNG were added much later as co-hosts to Australia and NZ and were not part of the original bid but as you say still got automatic qualification.

It does make France a shoe in should they get the 2025 RLWC, which is great.

Let's be honest, we still make the qualification up as we go along! In the absence of the Nations Cup or whatever it was going to be, I'd love to see proper qualification tournaments take place, although in reality, if you can get a half decent team together, you're in!

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Let's be honest, we still make the qualification up as we go along! In the absence of the Nations Cup or whatever it was going to be, I'd love to see proper qualification tournaments take place, although in reality, if you can get a half decent team together, you're in!

Nations Cup? When's that happening? Can't wait.

33 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Sad but true. Thats the annoying thing about international RL, the lack of a real scene should make development and progress easy and should allow the game to be really agile when it comes to getting things. The sort of vision that led to the development of the first world Cup in France. It should be a strength for the game.

In reality it's just the opposite nothing gets done and no one has the power, bar the NRL, to drive things through.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Sure, but a few things to help them build strength & depth before then sure couldn’t hurt. They don’t need to be a powerhouse but if they 50’d in some group games it could take the wind out of the sails somewhat.

1 minute ago, jim_57 said:

Sure, but a few things to help them build strength & depth before then sure couldn’t hurt. They don’t need to be a powerhouse but if they 50’d in some group games it could take the wind out of the sails somewhat.

It is 4 years away Jim, they can work on improvement with Robinson helping but in reality 2021-2025 they are only going to scratch the surface. Now 2025 to 2035 post a successful WC is a different matter. 

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Nations Cup? When's that happening? Can't wait.

There was one planned last year for, IIRC, France, Ireland, Italy Scotland, Spain and Wales. They were to be split into two groups of three. 

Next one due next year and I’m sure it was said that England would be taking part. 

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I notice the article mentions it will all be held over a month.............isn't that a bit short timeframe? Not much time for rest between games

This years is held between 23/10 - 27/11. It would probably be similar length to this years. 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

It is 4 years away Jim, they can work on improvement with Robinson helping but in reality 2021-2025 they are only going to scratch the surface. Now 2025 to 2035 post a successful WC is a different matter. 

Getting more players in different, dare I say it better development systems could make a big difference in 4 years. France’s juniors rarely seem to develop as well as their English counterparts from 18-22 onwards, with lots of the best settling in Elite 1 with St Esteve.

I know it may not be possible but if they could get a few more players scattered around Super League, Championship, NRL & QLD/NSW Cup clubs it could do wonders for their depth. How to make that happen is the big question and one I don’t have a perfect answer to. First obvious step would be trying to leverage the Robinson connection for a few loan/trial deals for a few willing young candidates at the Roosters. Storm I believe have had French juniors before as well.

I’m not disagreeing with the rest but there is plenty that can be done in 4 years to help them put their best foot forward for a home World Cup.

8 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Last world cup, attempt to kill this one, not releasing players going forward for mid season internationals when SOO is on, threatening players for Denver test, I could go on.

I would criticise SL the same way if it was them. 

What evidence is there to indicate the NRL there is an ‘attempt to kill this one’?  I mention the NRL as you’ve done SL.

There is evidence of the Australian government amending their border policy which will affect quarantine and re-entry into the country for some of them.

The mid season game (I’m presuming you mean the England v All Stars) didn’t have any English NRL players either.  But if your referring to the mid season game in Denver as well, then using a game that was played more than 3 years ago as evidence that it was a ploy to disrupt the RLWC 2021 is a weird suggestion.

What's happening in RL in France is starting to get noticed:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/table-topping-catalans-boss-steve-24493642

Nothing new stated but it helps public awareness. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

8 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Yeah you need three 'big' venues.  Opening game, semi for double header then the final. 

But grounds like Montpellier Altrad  (15k) are the perfect size for every game to sell out and look great on TV. 

Completely agree. French stadiums tend to have the first row of seats quite high above the pitch and a very steep rake in the stands which makes them look considerably larger then British grounds of the same capacity. 

10 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

My list of examples was responding to this question.  Don't go lazily building straw men about how I was making a link between the sabotage of the Denver test and this RLWC. 

And no I am not refering to this years mid season int but the IRL's statement that mid season internationals going forward are to be scraped,  despite the SOO taking players from NRL teams int teams will not be awarded the same opportunity. 

Finally this years WC is in jeopardy because the NRL want quarantine periods to come out of players holiday and not their pockets.  So again,  the NRL are the issue. 

No doubt the RFL is not pulling its weight for NH RL and people on here have heard me whine many times about how we should lock in a welsh and 2nd French team into SL. 

But lets not pretend the NRL gives a toss about growing the international game.

I will be in France in a few years and I hope we make it a fantastic success.  If we do a small benefit will be to reduce the NRL domination over the game. 

Nothing lazy intended. The post was unclear.

Sabotage by the NRL is a bit rich and an overreaction imo.  Their government may or may not increase control measures on border controls and given that our covid infection figures are spiralling upward exponentially organisation sending large numbers of people here must be high on their list of considerations. If our players were travelling there there would be the same concerns.

Anyway i’ll leave it at that, watch the situation play out and hopefully see all nations competing later in the year.

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

Thank you Pulga and one for the NRL knockers. Everything I`ve been posting for the past couple of days.

Big-hitters at the top of the NRL putting their heads together for the greater good of the game, you don`t get any bigger than Bennett and Robinson, getting together with Grant to approach the obviously outstanding quality Luc Lacoste.

As an addendum to this, I can remember when stories first started circling of this proposal Grant was using his Politics background to arrange meetings with the French consulate to sound out whether the French government might get behind this idea.

From the looks of that tweet "the high calibre and quality supporting committee assembled supported (sic) by FranceSydney" they are.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Thank you Pulga and one for the NRL knockers. Everything I`ve been posting for the past couple of days.

Big-hitters at the top of the NRL putting their heads together for the greater good of the game, you don`t get any bigger than Bennett and Robinson, getting together with Grant to approach the obviously outstanding quality Luc Lacoste.

As an addendum to this, I can remember when stories first started circling of this proposal Grant was using his Politics background to arrange meetings with the French consulate to sound out whether the French government might get behind this idea.

From the looks of that tweet "the high calibre and quality supporting committee assembled supported (sic) by FranceSydney" they are.

I don't think anybody has ever questioned the attitude to the world game of those two men. 

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

It's a great initiative and one I hope brings as much fresh blood into the game here in the Northern Hemisphere as possible.

I was really heartened by the almost unbelievable involvement, (in SuperLeague) of Toronto and the amount of added interest they brought and the sheer amount of column inches they created in the press and other media outlets.

One of the things (I believe) Super League is crying out for is just a little novelty. We've been flogging the same old horse for so many years it's looking a bit knackered.

A gradual move towards making it a true European Super League, with the involvement of Toulouse (first) and a clear signal that the door is open to others with the ambition (and finances) to compete at that level would be like a breath of fresh air to the game over here.

France is the obvious place to try to stimulate and nurture growth. They've managed to survive in an even more hostile environment, than we have had to contend with here and just now, things seem to be on the up.

Personally, I can't wait, for Toulouse to get into Super League, which will definitely stiffen the competition, bring some badly needed novelty and (I'm sure) attract a lot more interest, here and in France.

A successful World Cup here, could show the French (and their gov't) what can be achieved with just a little backing and a more competitive France gives the whole game a more credible global image.

I'd love to see France v Canada, France v USA, France v Jamaica and France v Brazil (et al) to build the French brand between World Cups.

So from me, a big thank-you, to Wayne Bennett and Trent Robinson, for their insightful intervention, please, please keep it coming?

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I'm not sure why you are attributing what Bennett, who has shown his love of the international game time and again, and Robinson, whose love of France and the game there is well known, to the NRL.

Archived