The World Cup goes ahead

I hate to post anything from the crappy right-wing Daily Mail, and I'd take everything it says with a grain of salt, but here goes:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/article-9789443/Australia-send-RESERVE-team-2021-Rugby-League-World-Cup.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

Note this part:

The Australian Rugby League have signed a Participation Agreement committing to taking part in the tournament, but it does not stipulate that they must send their strongest team. 

The prospect of Australian fielding a team comprised entirely of players based in England has even been discussed, which would severely dent the integrity of the competition.

Edited by Jim from Oz

1 hour ago, Jim from Oz said:

I hate to post anything from the crappy right-wing Daily Mail, and I'd take everything it says with a grain of salt, but here goes:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/article-9789443/Australia-send-RESERVE-team-2021-Rugby-League-World-Cup.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

Note this part:

The Australian Rugby League have signed a Participation Agreement committing to taking part in the tournament, but it does not stipulate that they must send their strongest team. 

The prospect of Australian fielding a team comprised entirely of players based in England has even been discussed, which would severely dent the integrity of the competition.

Seriously, that must not be allowed to happen. Strongest team or no team at all. They stuffed up the last on e and we  want this to be a success.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frank said:

Seriously, that must not be allowed to happen. Strongest team or no team at all. They stuffed up the last on e and we  want this to be a success.

One would hope Oz-based players who want to play in the tournament will make a big enough fuss to ensure this idiocy doesn't happen …

And again, this is the Daily Mail, take what it "reports" with a grain of salt.

5 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Note this part:

This reminds me of this façade they create around Origin. If Australia don't send their best team then how many players from this year's State of Origin will actually go and play for other countries - Papalii, Coates, To'o, Luia, Fa'asuamaleaui, Kafusi, Koroisau, Sims, Moses, Molo. Then you have all the world's best players who don't qualify for Origin like Taumalolo, Asofa Solomona, Manu, Johnson etc. 

There will be 100+ NRL players playing for other countries. Australia (Kangaroos) is not the NRL anymore - it is the minority in the NRL.

• Like 1

The 'The World Cup goes ahead' or the 'World Cup in Doubt…Again' topic alternate at the top of my page depending on which was last updated.

It is all too stressful and I am turning into a paranoid schizophrenic!

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

To mark the 100-day countdown to the opening match of the tournament between hosts England and Samoa at St James’ Park, Newcastle, all remaining tickets will go on saleat 10am BST today. Fans are also able to purchase hospitality experiences and travel packages which remain on sale.”

General Sale back on today 👍🏼

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

To mark the 100-day countdown to the opening match of the tournament between hosts England and Samoa at St James’ Park, Newcastle, all remaining tickets will go on saleat 10am BST today. Fans are also able to purchase hospitality experiences and travel packages which remain on sale.”

General Sale back on today 👍🏼

Just got the email as I was reading this, on sale in 2 hours, so must be at 10:00 a.m.

• Like 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The 'The World Cup goes ahead' or the 'World Cup in Doubt…Again' topic alternate at the top of my page depending on which was last updated.

It is all too stressful and I am turning into a paranoid schizophrenic!

Noticed that just now aswell and was chuckling 

7 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Note this part:

Of course it will have been discussed, to think it wouldn't would be naïve.. 

It would have been a 10 second conversation along the lines of "the document is legally binding and we could end up forking out loads of money just because the Aus govt shut the country down!"

"Look, if worst comes to worst we just put together a team of players based in the UK, Australia compete but no players get stuck."

"Fair point". 

The Mail are just using it as a negative in line with everything they print. 

Edited by RP London
spelling
  • Like 1

People shouldn't get hung up on which players come. World Cups are obviously about seeing the best players on a rugby pitch, but they are far more than that. 

Whether it's injuries, covid, politics, whatever, each country will get the best team they can on the field and win or lose based on that. 

The important thing we can do is get out, support it, and bloody enjoy it, surely we have earned the right to just enjoy this one?!?!? 

• Like 12

Really pleased to hear from the organisers that it's all going ahead. Obviously 100 days is both a long time and a ridiculously short time and anything can happen but fingers crossed we get to the start line now and have a great tournament.

A concern that did occur to me was ... if there's all this hassle for the men, has anyone even considered costs/difficulties in getting players for the women/wheelchair tournaments over here and back again? I know it's lower profile but those competitions are integral to the whole RLWC.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

People shouldn't get hung up on which players come. World Cups are obviously about seeing the best players on a rugby pitch, but they are far more than that. 

Whether it's injuries, covid, politics, whatever, each country will get the best team they can on the field and win or lose based on that. 

The important thing we can do is get out, support it, and bloody enjoy it, surely we have earned the right to just enjoy this one?!?!? 

Agree, 1995 was a really good example of that.

• Like 1

A very positive announcement from the organisers:

Organisers have successfully delivered record sponsorship deals, a domestic broadcast deal which means all matches will be live across BBC platforms and have sold significant overseas broadcast rights.

At the same time, ticket sales have so far exceeded expectations and the positive social contribution to communities, including some of those hardest hit by the pandemic has been extensive.

https://www.rlwc2021.com/article/316/rlwc2021-organisers-on-schedule-to-deliver-trailblazing-tournament

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Note this part:

I would rather they send a Team. Secondly,  I think most Aussie players would want to play in a World Cup and once a few agree then most will follow. After that, I don’t care that it’s thought to not be the strongest, it will still be a good side.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

The RLWC going ahead even got a mention on the 9am news on classic FM just now! The news bulletins only ever cover about 5 pieces, so it must mean it's the top 5 most important things in the UK right now

I know number 5 is the pointing on my patio, so they are at least at number 4.

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I would rather they send a Team. Secondly,  I think most Aussie players would want to play in a World Cup and once a few agree then most will follow. After that, I don’t care that it’s thought to not be the strongest, it will still be a good side.

I would be amazed if a strong team didn't come. Even if some players opted out this would then provide a once in lifetime opportunity for some fringe players that they may not otherwise get.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

True, but the problem was, the organisation of the 2017 RLWC was pretty poor, and the promotion of it was pathetic.

That's still no excuse to not sell out a final. In fact I wonder what the whole tournament would've looked like if it wasn't for Tonga and their fans. 

While it is obviously good news that it is the intention to go ahead we shouldn’t get too carried away just yet. There’s still a long road to the tournament commencing. Just look at what has happened in the Netherlands as a cautionary tale, opened everything back up and saw a 500% increase in cases in 2 weeks and now gone back into lockdown. Hopefully we won’t suffer the same fate after next week’s lifting of restrictions.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Australia are just posturing with this stuff about sending a reserve team to make a point . There maybe individuals who decide not to come for their own reasons but I’d bet they’ll be here with a really strong squad because when all is said and done they’re the holders , they’re winners and they’ll want to win again . Any team with their name on it will want to be the best 

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

This reminds me of this façade they create around Origin. If Australia don't send their best team then how many players from this year's State of Origin will actually go and play for other countries - Papalii, Coates, To'o, Luia, Fa'asuamaleaui, Kafusi, Koroisau, Sims, Moses, Molo. Then you have all the world's best players who don't qualify for Origin like Taumalolo, Asofa Solomona, Manu, Johnson etc. 

There will be 100+ NRL players playing for other countries. Australia (Kangaroos) is not the NRL anymore - it is the minority in the NRL.

Facade is a good word.  You make excellent points.

And we whinge and moan about our own possible 'Roses' tournament and make no attempt to create one.