Jump to content

Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts

Looks like the NZ womens team has been has been kicked out of the Aussie comp.  They  were costing the NRL money.

These women have been left out in the cold with no games. Will most probably go to Union now.

Yet the NZRL is still subservient to the NRL.

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

My god, that is sickening.

No point in trying to reply.  I cant read his row-locks anyway, since he blocked me following my erudite and highly literate  tweet to him.

"This account owner limits who can view their Tweets""

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

If the NRL don't allow any players to come over for the WC then we all need to boycott watching the NRL. We need to start a mass exodus 

Done that.

  • Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Standards are certainly a huge issue and its far from what I would want either. I want the IRL to run the game with the NRL on board. Without repeating myself though with mid season internationals being scrapped, episodes like the Denver tests, players not being released, confederations cup scrapped and now the World Cup an international game run by the NRL is not an international game.

However either way we should certainly be edging our bets and there are certainly things the game in the UK can do to improve things drastically. Things we should be doing anyway in my opinion. We saw what a boost Welsh RL got with the Celtic Crusaders in a short time they were in existence. I know finances are a huge issue there with teams in Wales and would require a different, unpopular approach. We know what a boost French RL would get if Toulouse were in Super League and we had 2 French clubs. I don't think finances are a issue there. Again it requires a different approach. Beyond that there is certainly a reliance on heritage players but Ireland in particular wouldn't struggle on that front. I'm not really of the belief that these nations will get significantly better by playing more, what they need is more full time players to choose from and we need to look to increase that pool.

The game in the UK needs an entire joined up strategy from top to bottom with the domestic game feeding into the international scene. The international scene at the top level cant develop unless it is assisted domestically in my opinion whilst a strong international scene benefits Super League and makes it more valuable. Everyone needs to realise that. I don't have all the answers and don't want to derail such an important thread by expanding too much as I know others will disagree. However what I certainly believe is that we need to reduce our reliance on the NRL and not allow the international game to be dictated to and bullied by it. We certainly cant cave in. That means changing what we do and doing it differently.

If IRL break away from the NRL, then we should be looking to Canada/USA, as that's where the money is. But we fcked that up already by booting out Toronto to shrink back to the M62. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

If IRL break away from the NRL, then we should be looking to Canada/USA, as that's where the money is. But we fcked that up already by booting out Toronto to shrink back to the M62. 

That's wrong. Its the NRL breaking away from the IRL. A small but very important difference.

Edited by Damien
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re-reading the the statement the clubs put out, it's interesting to note the language has changed from the biosecurity measures being "insufficient" to now being "onerous". It's amazing what a grip they have on the press over there that they can just argue whatever's convenient and then contradict themselves the next day without anyone picking up on it. 

  • Like 6

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Damien said:

That's wrong. Its the NRL breaking away from the IRL. A small but very important difference.

True. But the NRL has no interest in International competition. They will just extend NRL/SOO in the usual international slot.

IRL needs to move on without them. Put some time into France, USA, Canada, Jamaica, Balkans, Nigeria, Latin America etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

The headline doesn't match the actual article. Meninga doesn't say he's heartbroken over the withdrawal, all it actually quotes is Adrian Lam saying he thinks Meninga will be heartbroken and then himself effectively agreeing with the NRLs stance.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

True. But the NRL has no interest in International competition. They will just extend NRL/SOO in the usual international slot.

IRL needs to move on without them. Put some time into France, USA, Canada, Jamaica, Balkans, Nigeria, Latin America etc. 

Those countries won't be able to field competitive national teams without full time players though.  Where is there for them all to play at that level?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Re-reading the the statement the clubs put out, it's interesting to note the language has changed from the biosecurity measures being "insufficient" to now being "onerous". It's amazing what a grip they have on the press over there that they can just argue whatever's convenient and then contradict themselves the next day without anyone picking up on it. 

Do they need to lock their families indoors and gaffer tape the doors shut, or is that sort of onerous OK?  I lose track.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Big Picture said:

Those countries won't be able to field competitive national teams without full time players though.  Where is there for them all to play at that level?

It won't happen overnight, obviously. But put effort into helping them develop and then see the growth in 10/15 years. 

At the moment, England could have decent games v France, Wales and then the likes of Jamaica and Nigeria (with heritage players) without needing the NRL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

It won't happen overnight, obviously. But put effort into helping them develop and then see the growth in 10/15 years. 

At the moment, England could have decent games v France, Wales and then the likes of Jamaica and Nigeria (with heritage players) without needing the NRL. 

I'm not so sure about that.  England beat Wales 80-12 and France 44-6 the last time they played those countries and the latter score was a big improvement for France compared to their 84-4 loss to England a years earlier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, frank said:

Looks like the NZ womens team has been has been kicked out of the Aussie comp. 

Hadn't that already happened?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Big Picture said:

I'm not so sure about that.  England beat Wales 80-12 and France 44-6 the last time they played those countries and the latter score was a big improvement for France compared to their 84-4 loss to England a years earlier.

True, but games against France are always half assed. Instead of playing on Thursday nights in Leigh with no tv coverage, play France in Toulouse in front of 20k live on BBC. I think RL is too obsessed with score lines at international level rather than the event. The RFU get 80k through the turnstiles regardless of who England play. I'm sure the crowd aren't bothered about thrashing Tonga or Japan, they're there because it's an event and they'll be watching England. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

True, but games against France are always half assed. Instead of playing on Thursday nights in Leigh with no tv coverage, play France in Toulouse in front of 20k live on BBC. I think RL is too obsessed with score lines at international level rather than the event. The RFU get 80k through the turnstiles regardless of who England play. I'm sure the crowd aren't bothered about thrashing Tonga or Japan, they're there because it's an event and they'll be watching England. 

The problem we've got now is that if we don't play Australia or NZ then we won't have any big guns to play against. Whereas in union, they have more competitive games than they do thrashings.

I'm very fearful for the international game now. Without it, the game in the UK is going to become less and less relevant. Unfortunately we can't trust the Aussies any more. I don't know if there's any point in trying to organise anything with them now - the way they're talking about this world cup is as if it's been planned by the IRL on the back of a fag packet on the spur of the moment, rather than it having been years in the planning. Gould's comment about the international game never being able to grow or develop if the IRL run it is an absolute disgrace. This world cup was on course to be the biggest global rugby league event ever staged. And the NRL/ARL have shafted it.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

At the moment, England could have decent games v France, Wales and then the likes of Jamaica and Nigeria (with heritage players) without needing the NRL. 

I would strongly differ from that opinion.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

The problem we've got now is that if we don't play Australia or NZ then we won't have any big guns to play against. Whereas in union, they have more competitive games than they do thrashings.

I'm very fearful for the international game now. Without it, the game in the UK is going to become less and less relevant. Unfortunately we can't trust the Aussies any more. I don't know if there's any point in trying to organise anything with them now - the way they're talking about this world cup is as if it's been planned by the IRL on the back of a fag packet on the spur of the moment, rather than it having been years in the planning. Gould's comment about the international game never being able to grow or develop if the IRL run it is an absolute disgrace. This world cup was on course to be the biggest global rugby league event ever staged. And the NRL/ARL have shafted it.

I’ve not seen anything that suggests that Australia and New Zealand won’t play international games or games against England. I read it as they will play, on their terms. Once the coup d’état gets more traction behind it, it’s then up to England to decide whether they follow suit and pander to the two of them in the hope they get some games against the two or go off on their own, becoming a huge fish in a tiny pond, relatively speaking, in which their biggest test will be Combined Nations. Ultimately, the cards are stacked in the favour of Australia and New Zealand. 

Edited by Hela Wigmen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think there is great potential for a 'rivalry' between England and Jamaica. Yes, England will run in a big score line to start with, but just imagine England v Jamaica live on the BBC with a big crowd. It would do wonders for the sport's image, especially for the Jamaican heritage people in the country and promote the sport. Plus Jamaica are a genuine team, so the funds would go to help their development. And we wouldn't have to worry about the NRL preventing it from going ahead, as the players would come from SL.

But unfortunately that requires vision and ambition, which RL lacks. We'd rather not bother playing than play Jamaica sadly. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’ve not seen anything that suggests that Australia and New Zealand won’t play international games or games against England. I read it as they will play, on their terms. Once the coup d’état gets more traction behind it, it’s then up to England to decide whether they follow suit and pander to the two of them in the hope they get some games against the two or go off on their own, becoming a huge fish in a tiny pond, relatively speaking, in which their biggest test will be Combined Nations. Ultimately, the cards are stacked in the favour of Australia and New Zealand. 

If that's the reality then the RFL will prioritise another round of loop fixtures over any internationals.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

I’ve not seen anything that suggests that Australia and New Zealand won’t play international games or games against England. I read it as they will play, on their terms. Once the coup d’état gets more traction behind it, it’s then up to England to decide whether they follow suit and pander to the two of them in the hope they get some games against the two or go off on their own, becoming a huge fish in a tiny pond, relatively speaking. Ultimately, the cards are stacked in the favour of Australia and New Zealand. 

Yes I think it's very much going to be a case of whenever the muse takes them, they'll click their fingers and we'll have to decide whether to come running or not.

We can't postpone the WC for a year, because they will be able to use the same excuses next year and it will end up getting cancelled. Gould hinted at this in one of his recent TV appearances. As long as Covid's around, I wouldn't trust them to not use it as an excuse to cancel a tournament or tour. So I can't see us playing them for at least 2-3 years, unless possibly it's us going over there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Moove said:

The headline doesn't match the actual article. Meninga doesn't say he's heartbroken over the withdrawal, all it actually quotes is Adrian Lam saying he thinks Meninga will be heartbroken and then himself effectively agreeing with the NRLs stance.

Adrian Lam, who has been here throughout the pandemic and knows first hand that not a single pro RL player has lost his health or career due to Covid despite far laxer protocols than the WC proposals, is being supportive of the NRL stance straight after the NRL press release.  

He is employed by the ARLC (assistant coach) and there is a very good chance he will be back in the NRL next year, contract discussions with Wigan have not even started.

I wonder if someone from the NRL/ARLC has been in touch.... 

Edited by Whippet13
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has there been any mention on whether Australian or NZ game officials are also withdrawals? 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’ve not seen anything that suggests that Australia and New Zealand won’t play international games or games against England. I read it as they will play, on their terms. Once the coup d’état gets more traction behind it, it’s then up to England to decide whether they follow suit and pander to the two of them in the hope they get some games against the two or go off on their own, becoming a huge fish in a tiny pond, relatively speaking, in which their biggest test will be Combined Nations. Ultimately, the cards are stacked in the favour of Australia and New Zealand. 

The things is though, any tournaments played in the NH can be planned for years in advance. We're not afforded the same luxury with Aus/NZ. It would just be a half assed last minute test in Wollongong at best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...