Jump to content

Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do you really think TO can be bigger than Leeds, Wigan and Saints?  Also I bet SL would give their right arm for another club as big as Hull or Hull KR. 

Toronto was getting some decent crowds for a new club in city unfamiliar with RL. They could have become a big club. SL wasn’t prepared to part with said limb though. I don’t think getting another big club is as important as it should be for SL. Sure, there turned out to be some issues with Toronto but as has been the case for some time now, new clubs in SL aren’t being welcomed with an even playing field, regardless of what could potentially become.

  • Like 6

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Toronto was getting some decent crowds for a new club in city unfamiliar with RL. They could have become a big club. SL wasn’t prepared to part with said limb though. I don’t think getting another big club is as important as it should be for SL. Sure, there turned out to be some issues with Toronto but as has been the case for some time now, new clubs in SL aren’t being welcomed with an even playing field, regardless of what could potentially become.

Also fact they killed Manchester Rangers with absurd demand for half a million bond. 

Because last thing league needs is anambitious club is city of 500,000 people where RFL is based and Grand Final takes place. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Official attendance at Whitehaven was 4,869

Could that be their biggest ever attendance?

Probably not mind you... I remember when Wire went up there about 12 years ago - it seemed like the whole town (and a good few outlying farms and homesteads too by the look of things) had showed up for the game. 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Could that be their biggest ever attendance?

Probably not mind you... I remember when Wire went up there about 12 years ago - it seemed like the whole town (and a good few outlying farms and homesteads too by the look of things) had showed up for the game. 

Nowhere near their biggest ever attendance 

Edited by LeeF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Nowhere near their biggest ever attendance 

Excellent number though assume eveyone had a pint or 2 and you might be looking at 50k or so from one game.  Thats a huge chunk of change that you can put in the piggy bank for next season. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Excellent number though assume eveyone had a pint or 2 and you might be looking at 50k or so from one game.  Thats a huge chunk of change that you can put in the piggy bank for next season. 

It’s the equivalent of 2 players for next season which helps with the low central funding 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LeeF said:

Official attendance at Whitehaven was 4,869

A 2pm kickoff on a Saturday probably knocked the crowd down by a few hundred,so a really good attendance.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, M j M said:

I'm not from Hull but I'm willing to bet that absolutely isn't how the Hull sporting market works. 

Like so many before who strategise mergers and shuffle around phantom clubs to play in new cities in front of phantom fans you are trying to overlay a rational consumer model onto a very mature sporting market. And fundamentally fail, as all these things do, to understand what really motivates the consumer of sports - it isn't like choosing which of two supermarkets you go to and if a new one opens the existing one loses half its customers. That's ridiculous.

In short - Hull FC being chronically bad for a long time isn't due to Hull KR being promoted.

You are of course wrong... not for older fans but certainly for new fans, although running a club is bigger than just fans, its competing for new fans, local govenment support, as well as sponsors and youth players to name a few

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do you really think TO can be bigger than Leeds, Wigan and Saints?  Also I bet SL would give their right arm for another club as big as Hull or Hull KR. 

Yes I do, Catalan have hit a point were they cannot grow anymore, if toulouse replicate this in a major city they would be bigger than the 3 you name. 

Catalan did have all home games televised and they travel to all away games by private jet. They are top of the league in commercial revenue and have an academy only second to saints.

Theres a reason dark forces have kept toulouse down for as long as they could

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Could that be their biggest ever attendance?

Probably not mind you... I remember when Wire went up there about 12 years ago - it seemed like the whole town (and a good few outlying farms and homesteads too by the look of things) had showed up for the game. 

You remember the Wire game but no one on her can remember when you posted a positive RL related comment.

Are you even a RL fan as you don't seem to know anything about the game and seem to love slating Non SL clubs and posting negative RL comments in general.

Once again - a great forum spoiled by some people, for some reason.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

A 2pm kickoff on a Saturday probably knocked the crowd down by a few hundred,so a really good attendance.

Genuine curious question.  What is wrong with that kickoff time in Cumbria on a Saturday?  Here in the former colonies that would be just about as perfect a kickoff time as you could get and would relish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Genuine curious question.  What is wrong with that kickoff time in Cumbria on a Saturday?  Here in the former colonies that would be just about as perfect a kickoff time as you could get and would relish.

Anyone involved with local amateur rugby league would've been unable to attend, for one thing. That probably has more of an effect on the crowd size than it would do in other RL areas.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Yes I do, Catalan have hit a point were they cannot grow anymore, if toulouse replicate this in a major city they would be bigger than the 3 you name. 

Catalan did have all home games televised and they travel to all away games by private jet. They are top of the league in commercial revenue and have an academy only second to saints.

Theres a reason dark forces have kept toulouse down for as long as they could

Leeds is as major a city as Toulouse, and the Rhinos are the second sport in town compared to TO’s 3rd (by. Considerable distance) with a hostile local media.
 

I’d love to see TO, or indeed any club, become as big if not bigger than the existing clubs, but TO have a heck of a job to get anywhere near that imho. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JonM said:

Anyone involved with local amateur rugby league would've been unable to attend, for one thing. That probably has more of an effect on the crowd size than it would do in other RL areas.

Yes, you have the players and the people who watch the amateur games- some clubs get 100s watching them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LeeF said:

Nowhere near their biggest ever attendance 

Last big attendance was in the mid 2000's for the Workington derby on a Sunday and it wa over 6000 and I think on BBC but I could be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JonM said:

Anyone involved with local amateur rugby league would've been unable to attend, for one thing. That probably has more of an effect on the crowd size than it would do in other RL areas.

i posted on and another topic but it's so bloody stupid having pro/semi pro games kick off at the same time as the amateur as it's the most thickest thing any sport can do...shot yerself in the foot .....BONKERS 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Genuine curious question.  What is wrong with that kickoff time in Cumbria on a Saturday?  Here in the former colonies that would be just about as perfect a kickoff time as you could get and would relish.

Sunday a better crowd but sod Saturday as it's not like the Church of England has any influence on Pro Sport these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Josef K said:

As i forgot to do my Guess The Attendance I’ll do the games that haven’t played yet. 
Whitehaven 14 - 42 Saints att 4,374

Eagles 8 - 52 Hull att 1,785

HKR 24 - 16 Leigh att 2,879

Catalans 38 - 10 Fev att 3,000

Leeds 18 - 12 Cas att 6,950

Wolves 18  v 8 Wakey att 3987

Barrow 14 v 40 Huddersfield att 3,098.. 

Nice one Barrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, EggFace said:

i posted on and another topic but it's so bloody stupid having pro/semi pro games kick off at the same time as the amateur as it's the most thickest thing any sport can do...shot yerself in the foot .....BONKERS 😞

If we get paid for coverage ok and I love the sportsmen but it is probably a few hundred lost off the gate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Genuine curious question.  What is wrong with that kickoff time in Cumbria on a Saturday?  Here in the former colonies that would be just about as perfect a kickoff time as you could get and would relish.

You have the local leagues playing at that time as well as the 2 NCL Premier teams Wath Brow & Egremont who attract a good following playing at home today.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Last big attendance was in the mid 2000's for the Workington derby on a Sunday and it wa over 6000 and I think on BBC but I could be wrong.

No derby on the BBC that I can recall and even 6k is well below the record attendance 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...