New SL season initiatives

Dave T

So a while back we were fed details of the new TV deal that suggested video refs at all games and full quality broadcasts of every game. Plus we now have 2 French teams in SL. 

It felt like there was to be some exciting developments for this year, almost like there was an opportunity for a mini relaunch. 

Now, VRs are not happening. 

We have seen that Bein will cover 9 Catalans games (Sky showing these), and nothing for Toulouse (yet - although I note THAT sky will show Toulouse's opener). But no quality French deal that showed games on alternate weekends that we hoped. 

And where is the streaming option so that we can watch every game? It was hinted that streaming would be a part of the future for SL, yet we haven't seen any details, and Our League seems to have gone very quiet. 

I know it was the SL Launch yesterday in the exotic location of St Helens, so hopefully we will get some nuggets from there, but after the potential excitement from that TV deal announcement, it seems like the biggest initiative this year is the new green card. 

To be fair, the C4 deal is exciting and an excellent addition. 

VR at all games not happening?  I haven't seen that but it's very disappointing if so. Little things like that were way overdue and made me think the sport was moving forward.

Much of the excitement so far for the new season has come from C4 and even Premier Sports who both promise something fresh and vibrant. Both have pushed their offerings very well so far and have been great. Sky I have yet to see anything for and there's no mention of the sport in any emails from them, just the usual disappointment really.

The SL promo was decent but everything else from SL or the RFL is a bit meh. A SL launch in St Helens just isn't going to sell the sport to the national media. On the whole I have heard very little.

Agree, the 10 games on C4 are the most exciting thing to happen to SL. I really can’t get excited about the SL start, I expect Saints will win it again (and the cup) and Toulouse will go down, which is a shame as if they weren’t in a mess in terms of their team I’d be really excited about them being in it as they offer something new and different. Increasing the salary cap would help, as would Toronto’s continued inclusion, but as it is things are rather stale. 

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

A SL launch in St Helens just isn't going to sell the sport to the national media. On the whole I have heard very little.

I guess the launch was in St Helens due to them being champions, there's nothing wrong with that

40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So a while back we were fed details of the new TV deal that suggested video refs at all games and full quality broadcasts of every game. Plus we now have 2 French teams in SL. 

It felt like there was to be some exciting developments for this year, almost like there was an opportunity for a mini relaunch. 

We have seen that Bein will cover 9 Catalans games (Sky showing these), and nothing for Toulouse (yet - although I note THAT sky will show Toulouse's opener). But no quality French deal that showed games on alternate weekends that we hoped. 

And where is the streaming option so that we can watch every game? It was hinted that streaming would be a part of the future for SL, yet we haven't seen any details, and Our League seems to have gone very quiet. 

I know it was the SL Launch yesterday in the exotic location of St Helens, so hopefully we will get some nuggets from there, but after the potential excitement from that TV deal announcement, it seems like the biggest initiative this year is the new green card. 

For me the bigger part of that element was that all games would be recorded "to broadcast standard". In fact, wasn't this one of the main concessions in the Sky TV negotiations? 

That at least gives the league more options to market its content. If the hold-up with video referees is the logistics of coming up with a "Bunker" / Stockley Park sort of set-up, it's disappointing but not a deal breaker. The matchday filming element is a much bigger factor in my view but everything seems to be very quiet on that front as well. 

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I guess the launch was in St Helens due to them being champions, there's nothing wrong with that

Well there is if you are looking to promote the new Super League season and attract media from all over the country. You have to make it enticing for journalists and wine and dine them. I simply can't see many national media journalists making the trip from London to St Helens so don't be surprised if that is reflected in national media coverage.

8 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

For me the bigger part of that element was that all games would be recorded "to broadcast standard". In fact, wasn't this one of the main concessions in the Sky TV negotiations? 

That at least gives the league more options to market its content. If the hold-up with video referees is the logistics of coming up with a "Bunker" / Stockley Park sort of set-up, it's disappointing but not a deal breaker. The matchday filming element is a much bigger factor in my view but everything seems to be very quiet on that front as well. 

Yeah another big upside of that was to be able to stream games. I at least hoped for clubs to have their own TV channels. 

Maybe they'll bring our league back to life? 

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well there is if you are looking to promote the new Super League season and attract media from all over the country. You have to make it enticing for journalists and wine and dine them. I simply can't see many national media journalists making the trip from London to St Helens so don't be surprised if that is reflected in national media coverage.

We used to go to London for launch, Old Trafford was the fallback. We had the SL Rocks stuff in Manchester for a couple of years which seemed a nice idea, not sure how we'll it was done (I expect badly). 

I think we need to create excitement, glamour, and maybe St James would have been a good location this year we have Magic there and it's strategically important for being a World Cup host. 

It all just smacks of doing what is easiest. 

Here is one initiative that I would like to see happen.

The funding of Development Officers.  Every year take £25k off the TV money for each club = £300k assuming every club gets TV money.  Then seek to appoint 24 full time Development Officers at £25k each.

OK, even those with CSE Maths will see that £300k would only fund 24 DO’s at £12,500 each.  BUT, if the RFL/SL approached 24 Local Authorities and asked each LA to match fund then this is possible.  But why would LA’s join such a venture?

In my many years working in Local Government in the UK - up to 2006 - LA’s were looking to join up with external organisations to assist in delivering their programs.  Each LA has a ‘Healthy Living’ agenda and even in these days of belt tightening £12,500 is a small amount to have an external organisation deliver part of the program whilst linking it to RL activity and participation for male and females at all ages.

If the RFL/SL approached LA’s in London and in other areas where there is grass roots RL - including ‘heartland’ areas - then that base can be built upon.

IMHO this should have ready to go next year to build on the WC.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yeah another big upside of that was to be able to stream games. I at least hoped for clubs to have their own TV channels. 

Maybe they'll bring our league back to life? 

I thought streaming was always going to be a tough one to get through - you'd end up creating a de-facto competitor to Sky by doing that and they aren't going to take that lying down. 

For me it was more about being able to use that content outside of the game's normal channels - using it to really improve the digital and social media presence, to improve the production values of highlights shows like SLS, etc. If that opportunity is lost, it's a massive waste. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Agree, the 10 games on C4 are the most exciting thing to happen to SL. I really can’t get excited about the SL start, I expect Saints will win it again (and the cup) and Toulouse will go down, which is a shame as if they weren’t in a mess in terms of their team I’d be really excited about them being in it as they offer something new and different. Increasing the salary cap would help, as would Toronto’s continued inclusion, but as it is things are rather stale. 

I'm pretty excited and the media stuff has been okay for me

2 things worry me though

1. Another Saints dominated year

2.Catalan doing well is great but I went to the GF last year and their CC final win.....much as I like them doing well I don't want them in the finals......the atmosphere and crowd just isn't the same

An ideal season would be a new name on both trophies or at least not Saints this year. That would take us nicely into the WC

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think Toulouse staying in SL is when tv development will create better opportunities. 

I know it upsets some m62 traditionalists but as a sport to have a chance of increasing our opportunities we need Toulouse to be successful. 

34 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm pretty excited and the media stuff has been okay for me

2 things worry me though

1. Another Saints dominated year

2.Catalan doing well is great but I went to the GF last year and their CC final win.....much as I like them doing well I don't want them in the finals......the atmosphere and crowd just isn't the same

An ideal season would be a new name on both trophies or at least not Saints this year. That would take us nicely into the WC

Have to agree with that, the GF crowd certainly detracted from the occasion, though Covid must have had an impact.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

You may be right but I'm not so sure...

Depends upon your target audience. Whilst yes we want to see interest in the game grow elsewhere I would think the target for SL launch would be ensuring existing interested fans get excited in the coming season.

As to London media I would have thought that local media radio and TV would be the target. e.g. The largest BBC news audience according to Tim Davie (CEO) is the 6:30 local news output.  So if that was the target then maybe its fine and not need to be London media.

Other vehicles of course should be used for more nationwide coverage, Easier if we had regular internationals but that's another discussion. At least this year the world cup should be the avenue for wider national coverage.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

We used to go to London for launch, Old Trafford was the fallback. We had the SL Rocks stuff in Manchester for a couple of years which seemed a nice idea, not sure how we'll it was done (I expect badly). 

I think we need to create excitement, glamour, and maybe St James would have been a good location this year we have Magic there and it's strategically important for being a World Cup host. 

It all just smacks of doing what is easiest. 

Quite correct Dave, its a major downgrade no matter how much people may want to dress it up. Its all of these little things that the sport does poorly time and again. Constantly preaching to the converted, and no doubt largely RL's finest journalists, is just taking the easy option. As ever you get out what you put into these things.

St Helens was chosen for the launch because Saints are the Grand Final winners. I can see some merit in it, though I do think the launches should be at places like Old Trafford. As for the other things in the opening post, there’s no quick fix for them; or there certainly shouldn’t be. 

The video refs at all grounds needs to be done properly, so I’d rather they took some time on this rather than rushing it. The logistics of how you get it manned with a small band of professional referees, the logistics of it in stadiums without screens and how you implement it so that, unlike in football, fans aren’t stood around wondering what’s going on for 2-3 minutes, is so, very important. 

Nine French games is up from 2021, I believe, so that’s definitely a good thing. Did we expect a French TV deal to suddenly appear just because we had two sides then? I know there was going to be a renewal till Elstone stepped in and worked his magic but did Catalans bring in the TV audiences in the territories they’re shown in? Are Toulouse that much of a draw to TV audiences that it would warrant a bigger TV deal? 

Streaming isn’t something you can rush either. We’ve probably all had bad experiences streaming sport and sometimes OurLeague hasn’t been the best when they showed League One games in the past, so it’s not something you can do slapdash and requires a bit of planning behind it, too. I also don’t know what audience there is for streaming in this country and whether clubs would be accepting of it given it could affect crowds and how Sky and Channel 4 are affected by any sort of streaming contract elsewhere. 

I think the gripe here should be the lack of communication rather than the lack of action on these matters. 

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

Exotic location of st helens 

St helens are also an amazingly well run club and a total privelage to watch, even though my club is not in super league. 

They are a total credit to our game 

5 hours ago, Damien said:

My hometown is an absolute hole… even if the rugby club is awesome and the Champions. 

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

My hometown is an absolute hole… even if the rugby club is awesome and the Champions. 

I'd have said exactly the same if the launch had been in Wigan. Its just too small time. Its the same reason as I don't want the national museum being in Huddersfield, Batley or Wigan. We need to think of what is attractive to the wider population in these things and what can give the required glitz, excitement and prestige.

3 hours ago, Jughead said:

St Helens was chosen for the launch because Saints are the Grand Final winners. I can see some merit in it, though I do think the launches should be at places like Old Trafford. As for the other things in the opening post, there’s no quick fix for them; or there certainly shouldn’t be. 

The video refs at all grounds needs to be done properly, so I’d rather they took some time on this rather than rushing it. The logistics of how you get it manned with a small band of professional referees, the logistics of it in stadiums without screens and how you implement it so that, unlike in football, fans aren’t stood around wondering what’s going on for 2-3 minutes, is so, very important. 

Nine French games is up from 2021, I believe, so that’s definitely a good thing. Did we expect a French TV deal to suddenly appear just because we had two sides then? I know there was going to be a renewal till Elstone stepped in and worked his magic but did Catalans bring in the TV audiences in the territories they’re shown in? Are Toulouse that much of a draw to TV audiences that it would warrant a bigger TV deal? 

Streaming isn’t something you can rush either. We’ve probably all had bad experiences streaming sport and sometimes OurLeague hasn’t been the best when they showed League One games in the past, so it’s not something you can do slapdash and requires a bit of planning behind it, too. I also don’t know what audience there is for streaming in this country and whether clubs would be accepting of it given it could affect crowds and how Sky and Channel 4 are affected by any sort of streaming contract elsewhere. 

I think the gripe here should be the lack of communication rather than the lack of action on these matters. 

You say there is no quick fix for the things in the opening post - but I think you are being overly generous to those running the show.

We used to have every game from Catalans shown - even as far back as 13 years ago every Catalsn game used to get an hour highlights on Sky every Saturday night. This has gone backwards, that's not expecting a quick fix - it's asking why we have gone miles backwards. Nobody just expected a deal to magic up because Toulouse are in, but leaving the French teams to sort out a TV deal themselves instead of having a coordinated approach in media deals is a perfect example of the weaknesses in leadership. Meanwhile we are playing around hosting a launch in St Helens.

Video refs at every ground - rushing it? What exactly do you mean, we have had them for over 25 years, we know what is involved, it looked like they were progressing, and once again they have taken the cheap option of not funding it and not doing it.

Streaming can't be rushed? Firstly, there are models out there all over the place. We even do it ourselves with OurLeague. If we have a strategic decision not to go with streaming because of impact on crowd, fine, but that doesn't appear to be the case when they allow 4 of 6 games to be shown on far bigger platforms. 

The gripe here is about polishing a ###### of a TV deal up as something good because it allows for streaming, broadcast quality coverage at every game and a VR at every game - and now we have gone quiet on them. To repeat, the C4 deal appears to be the one positive exception to this.

2 hours ago, The storm said:

Exotic location of st helens 

St helens are also an amazingly well run club and a total privelage to watch, even though my club is not in super league. 

They are a total credit to our game 

I'm not sure of your point. This is a media launch to get the countries journos together to whet the appetite and try and cultivate great coverage for the comp. 

We have often launched in London and Manchester. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I'd have said exactly the same if the launch had been in Wigan. Its just too small time. Its the same reason as I don't want the national museum being in Huddersfield, Batley or Wigan. We need to think of what is attractive to the wider population in these things and what can give the required glitz, excitement and prestige.

Indeed - it is no reflection of St Helens as a club in the slightest. But surely we can do better than this.

I expect we had the same old journos at the launch, it is hardly going to appeal to too many from outside of the normal circles. It'd be interesting to hear from those that attended.

Archived