NRL a league of its own

3 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Fair enough, but I was clearly involved in this particular conversation.

There`s a small repetition typo in (a). Apart from that, every rule you cited is word for word from the RFL rulebook. The NRL rulebook is different.

I didn't mean to be as abrasive as that came across, apologies - there were multiple conversations ongoing, and there was crossover in those discussions.

I copied and pasted from the International lawbook. It is good to see that the RFL are using the same laws at the International game, it is a shame that the NRL have a different rulebook.

Edited by Dave T

49 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

This is often the reaction to analysis of Rugby League and its rulebook.

Why can`t the plebs accept it`s a simple game for simple people? Just have a pie and a pint and enjoy yourself.

Anyway, I am grateful. You`ve helped persuade me to throw in the towel.

If you want a rugby absolutely crippled by needless over analysis of rules then there's another code for you. You'll especially like the part where the referees can decide which of multiple offences to penalise or ignore in literally every passage of play.

The simple game quote always struck me about being the things that made the game pleasurable. The skills you take for granted and the tactics you don't see because no one points them out.

Fussing over the rule book like some golf club committee member? Not so much.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

55 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If you want a rugby absolutely crippled by needless over analysis of rules then there's another code for you. You'll especially like the part where the referees can decide which of multiple offences to penalise or ignore in literally every passage of play.

The simple game quote always struck me about being the things that made the game pleasurable. The skills you take for granted and the tactics you don't see because no one points them out.

Fussing over the rule book like some golf club committee member? Not so much.

I don't think it is our place to explain to people how and why they should be fans of Rugby League and how they should demonstrate that.  A fan of Rugby League is a fan and I am happy with that. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think it is our place to explain to people how and why they should be fans of Rugby League and how they should demonstrate that.  A fan of Rugby League is a fan and I am happy with that. 

To be fair, this poster did say on this thread or another over the last couple of days that he had given up on British RL. That's fine, but I dont think people who have given up on it should hang around and tell everyone else how rubbish it is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

To be fair, this poster did say on this thread or another over the last couple of days that he had given up on British RL. That's fine, but I dont think people who have given up on it should hang around and tell everyone else how rubbish it is. 

As a great man once said- "To give up on British RL is to give up on life"

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm just not a fan of people telling others to 'go watch the other code' just because they are discussing a topic that isn't top of their list of interests.  We can all just contribute to the conversations we enjoy without telling people to go away and do something else can't we?

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm just not a fan of people telling others to 'go watch the other code' just because they are discussing a topic that isn't top of their list of interests.  We can all just contribute to the conversations we enjoy without telling people to go away and do something else can't we?

No, I agree there, I don't think we should ever tell people to go and watch the other code. I think it's a step too far. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

The sentence starts with 'if'.

A pedant would understand that it's a suggested alternative rather than a command.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 15/03/2022 at 20:37, Copa said:

The NRLW salary cap will be $350,000 this year. The minimum wage will be $10,000.

Probably something similar to Leigh Miners Ranger's Women - they wish - who this year are in for those who do not know The British Womens Super League being the only club of 12 with amatuer status amongst all the other teams aligned to professional clubs 7 SL and 4 Championship.

15 hours ago, gingerjon said:

If you want a rugby absolutely crippled by needless over analysis of rules then there's another code for you.

My son decided to come out of retirement and don his boots again at 41 years of age he went to play for a local junior union club, being curios I went to the first game, and me being me I was vocal in saying out loud, "Why has the ref not given that as a penalty, when he did so for the exact same action a minute ago" A regular who I did not know said to me you are a league man aren't you, then went on to say in your game you have rules which are there to be adhered to, in this game we have laws which are open to interpretation by the adjudicator i.e. the ref. Enough said.

So no rules in Union, gingerone.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The sentence starts with 'if'.

A pedant would understand that it's a suggested alternative rather than a command.

As I say, questioning a fellow poster on whether they enjoy the game and then suggesting they go watch another code because their chat is not of your liking is not for me.

But if you are happy to justify it with linguistic semantics then you crack on.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

First NRL game for me this morning. Can’t believe they’ve still got the stupid stealing rule in place 🤦🏼‍♂️

Yeah, ruined the game didn`t it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

And the 2 point drop goal.

I hope Australia are trailing England 20-18 in the last second of the World Cup final and they go for one of them thinking it goes to golden point, then it finishes 20-19 😂😂😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I hope Australia are trailing England 20-18 in the last second of the World Cup final and they go for one of them thinking it goes to golden point, then it finishes 20-19 😂😂😂

I was thinking something similar when I saw it. I always thought when we had the free play in SL that some England player would do something stupid in a big test match.

I just watched the round one round up and i was blown away by it.

I agree with those here who think they are on a different (higher) plane.

Super League is great but in a one to twelve (SL) versus a one to twelve (NRL) competition I don't think we'd win a game. 

5 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I just watched the round one round up and i was blown away by it.

I agree with those here who think they are on a different (higher) plane.

Super League is great but in a one to twelve (SL) versus a one to twelve (NRL) competition I don't think we'd win a game. 

I think Saints would do ok.  Maybe another but the depth in quality, between SL and the NRL, would show. In year 2, I think we would up the intensity and would do better but I doubt success would improve much more after, say, year 3.

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The amount of unforced errors and bombed chances from Souths this morning was ridiculous. Melbourne weren’t very impressive either but managed to get the win that they should have had in the bag well before golden point.

Yep all that, but it wasn't half entertaining though wasn't it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not a lover of drop goals Dav, but I see the value of a 2 point one from beyond the 40 metre line.

PS betcha you was jumping up and down when Joe Lydon dropped that one at Main Rd.

I was there! 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not a lover of drop goals Dav, but I see the value of a 2 point one from beyond the 40 metre line.

PS betcha you was jumping up and down when Joe Lydon dropped that one at Main Rd.

I just think it’s too gimmicky to be honest,it should be 1 point no matter where it’s kicked from.

Yes I was but Joe’s drop goal in claggy conditions & probably with the old mitre ball was some feat especially given that teams weren’t kept 10 yards apart in those days.