Bradford Bulls!

Spike

Just adding to my previous message re. the referee, on the Bradford site on here it mentions that Town fans weren’t very happy with the referee so who is right?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great effort from the Team yesterday , only disappointment (apart from losing ) was the soft tries we gave them .Beaten by 14 points , but first try dropped pass , they score , defend well then make a mad dash out of the line , offside right in front of the ref , penalty , 2 tackles later try .Defend 2 sets on our line , let in try from acting half on last tackle .We aren`t being beaten by undefendable rugby , but by our own mistakes .Agree with other posters on re-set tackles , it seems totally random to me and we are usually on the wrong end of it .And if the 2 commentators at the game thought the ref had a good game , tell me why he and his linesmen missed countless forward passes nearly every time the ball went out to their left wing ........oh and another thing  , can we please have a lucky bounce of the ball when we kick through , just one would be nice .UTT.

1 hour ago, homeandawayer said:

I just listened to it and really felt for him. You could hear the pride, frustration and disappointment, i could see that at the whistle with Jammer too. Apart from the Sheffield game i'm sure we all feel the same. Last week we had virtually no front row and this week we might have no backrow, it doesn't get any easier. 

Yes, you could hear that in his voice, particularly disappointment, he knew without a couple of last tackle lapses we were really in with a shout. I think with the personnel we have in our squad and the far more experienced teams we are up against we almost have to be perfect in everything we do. I know coaches are measured on their success but I honestly think the job that Chris and his staff are doing is tremendous. It would have been a difficult season with a full squad to select from but when you throw in all the disruption due to injury and suspensions it must make it a nightmare. We have youngsters learning in a seriously competitive league but I do believe they are improving week on week, it’s just a shame we can’t get some experience in to give that little bit extra. UTT

1 hour ago, Keith T said:

Just adding to my previous message re. the referee, on the Bradford site on here it mentions that Town fans weren’t very happy with the referee so who is right?

Honestly Keith I don't get wound up, or at least try not to, about refereeing standards, BUT this one yesterday was diabolical via the number of back to sixes for the Bulls, and forward passes ignored wow, especially one.....maybe I'm becoming an old grump? 

4 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Honestly Keith I don't get wound up, or at least try not to, about refereeing standards, BUT this one yesterday was diabolical via the number of back to sixes for the Bulls, and forward passes ignored wow, especially one.....maybe I'm becoming an old grump? 

100%, this guy was  worst i have seen, totally inept, never looked for off side once and they were off all game, forward passes and lying on all game, ????

I too rarely criticise officials as what comes around etc but totally rubbish yesterday, guess if i am from Bradford i too would think he did well 

I get the feeling refs in lower leagues love 6 agains , so they can look just like proper refs off the telly . Honestly I find them frustrating and totally random a lot of the time , but play just moves on so you’ve no time to ask why . I feel refs should put a really high bar on restarts and pens and they should be obvious to viewers and have a bearing on the play … to often they don’t . They’re picky , technical , wrong or just don’t need calling . Refs now seem to want to be way to involved , but I don’t go to games to watch a refereeing master class . Honestly from what I see I feel the standard of refs in the British game is very low nowadays . I see guys doing SL who are really average … and they’re the best we have 

3 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Great effort from the Team yesterday , only disappointment (apart from losing ) was the soft tries we gave them .Beaten by 14 points , but first try dropped pass , they score , defend well then make a mad dash out of the line , offside right in front of the ref , penalty , 2 tackles later try .Defend 2 sets on our line , let in try from acting half on last tackle .We aren`t being beaten by undefendable rugby , but by our own mistakes .Agree with other posters on re-set tackles , it seems totally random to me and we are usually on the wrong end of it .And if the 2 commentators at the game thought the ref had a good game , tell me why he and his linesmen missed countless forward passes nearly every time the ball went out to their left wing ........oh and another thing  , can we please have a lucky bounce of the ball when we kick through , just one would be nice .UTT.

Their first try was down to losing the ball in the tackle / collision and this happened several  times in the game - difference in size of some our players and opposition?

4 minutes ago, town blue said:

Their first try was down to losing the ball in the tackle / collision and this happened several  times in the game - difference in size of some our players and opposition?

I felt sorry for the young fullback who had such a hard time . He was just a lightweight kid and it’s tough being shoved in at this level . It’s obviously proving tough getting players in

3 hours ago, Keith T said:

I thought for what it's worth that the ref wasn't great, and the dodgy decisions that went against us hurt us. But it does my head in when people are shouting every tackle when we are struggling to make ground for off side. I'm not saying for one minute that sometimes they weren't off side, as they were, but so were we when we were defending. But once one person starts, the mob mentality takes over and lots of folk are howling for a pen all the time....but only if the opposition is off side. Then calling the ref names started and as we all know that works every time to get the ref on your side!!!

It's when the refs are inconsistent with the policing of it that bugs me, and IMO yesterday it wasn't so much the 10m but the six again where I thought he was particularly inconsistent between the teams. Was it because we were losing the ruck too often? The touch judges didn't help him either as there were a few things they missed ( in particular one forward pass that was hard to miss) which when you are without a win always seem to go against you. 

I don't think we got many fifty fifties, and got some bad calls from this weeks ref. But a certain Mr Crashley is still fresh in my mind and I never want town to bv reffed by that clown again as he has cost us games in the past. 

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

35 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

I thought for what it's worth that the ref wasn't great, and the dodgy decisions that went against us hurt us. But it does my head in when people are shouting every tackle when we are struggling to make ground for off side. I'm not saying for one minute that sometimes they weren't off side, as they were, but so were we when we were defending. But once one person starts, the mob mentality takes over and lots of folk are howling for a pen all the time....but only if the opposition is off side. Then calling the ref names started and as we all know that works every time to get the ref on your side!!!

It's when the refs are inconsistent with the policing of it that bugs me, and IMO yesterday it wasn't so much the 10m but the six again where I thought he was particularly inconsistent between the teams. Was it because we were losing the ruck too often? The touch judges didn't help him either as there were a few things they missed ( in particular one forward pass that was hard to miss) which when you are without a win always seem to go against you. 

I don't think we got many fifty fifties, and got some bad calls from this weeks ref. But a certain Mr Crashley is still fresh in my mind and I never want town to bv reffed by that clown again as he has cost us games in the past. 

the fella yesterday was worse than crashley

On 21/03/2022 at 08:54, bobg said:

Reading all the comments post match it is difficult to disagree with most, we have an abundance of effort and enthusiasm and at times, during games, great skill, however this alone is not going to keep us in this league, the long term future, with the all our young players is bright but at this moment in time we are lacking experience and size imo.

I think it's an experienced play maker we need maybe an old style 13?  Other than through Jamie we struggle to create much.

43 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Are we take it from Sunday that Dawson has gone then ? Can we get some clarification on this 

Doubt it 🤪😂

On 21/03/2022 at 14:22, Neutralfan7 said:

Absolutely bang on! Once you've completed your coaching course there's no help or development on offer which in turn hinders the development of players. In terms of development officer, is that not Alan Davidsons job? I think there is a handful of players locally who could make the step up if given the right coaching and time ( like Town did last year ) unfortunately as its been mentioned, perhaps promotion came too early for Town but they were doing it the right way by developing these players, but the championship is unforgiving and its a big ask to need them to come in and adapt straight away unfortunately.

Have to disagree with you on a few things, for the last three/four years at least, all coach's new and old have many different opportunity's to extend their coaching skills and ability, all on line, and Alan Davidson informs all the clubs when attending youth league meetings of these opportunity's, would think he also does the same at the carla meetings, you also mention players making the step up, Tear, Dixon, O Brian, Wilson to mention a few that have all gone directly in to either Town or Haven teams, this will be the same at Barrow. In Cumbria we have some very good coach's in who have coached these players to make the step up.   

On 21/03/2022 at 17:23, DavidM said:

I get the feeling refs in lower leagues love 6 agains , so they can look just like proper refs off the telly . Honestly I find them frustrating and totally random a lot of the time , but play just moves on so you’ve no time to ask why . I feel refs should put a really high bar on restarts and pens and they should be obvious to viewers and have a bearing on the play … to often they don’t . They’re picky , technical , wrong or just don’t need calling . Refs now seem to want to be way to involved , but I don’t go to games to watch a refereeing master class . Honestly from what I see I feel the standard of refs in the British game is very low nowadays . I see guys doing SL who are really average … and they’re the best we have 

Totally agree, it's the feeling of power they get especially when wiping it clear on 6th tackle when defending our line. When we do get them it's usually on first tackle in our own half. I think the rule needs scrapped, nobody knows why the count is being wiped and some given are obvious penalties. Watching the Fax game on Monday night and I'm sure it was the second half before he wiped any count clean. The difference between the 2 refs was plain to see, ours on a power trip and the other one not. 

Best ref weve seen by far up here was Thaler, completely controlled the game in every way, signals were excellent and took no slaver from any player. The difference between him and most of the refs we get now is night and day.

16 hours ago, JMB said:

Have to disagree with you on a few things, for the last three/four years at least, all coach's new and old have many different opportunity's to extend their coaching skills and ability, all on line, and Alan Davidson informs all the clubs when attending youth league meetings of these opportunity's, would think he also does the same at the carla meetings, you also mention players making the step up, Tear, Dixon, O Brian, Wilson to mention a few that have all gone directly in to either Town or Haven teams, this will be the same at Barrow. In Cumbria we have some very good coach's in who have coached these players to make the step up.   

Ah good to know, times must of changed since I done all my badges 😂,  just on the point I was making in regard to players making the step up, the players you've mentioned all made the step up into league 1 and were given that time to develop into the pro game at that level, I was just making the point about players coming into championship teams which is a much harder and tougher league to adapt to and a lot of the time unfortunately aren't given the same amount of time to adapt to it mate.

3 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Ah good to know, times must of changed since I done all my badges 😂,  just on the point I was making in regard to players making the step up, the players you've mentioned all made the step up into league 1 and were given that time to develop into the pro game at that level, I was just making the point about players coming into championship teams which is a much harder and tougher league to adapt to and a lot of the time unfortunately aren't given the same amount of time to adapt to it mate.

Agree

I have said many times before - all teams should have 'A' teams - which would give all leagues a step to help bring in  Amateur/young  players and give them time if needed to adapt to the changes.

Plus will give teams the ability to get rid of the unfair Dual Reg system.

Month or season long loans ok but DR can be abused.

This also means fringe players [as we have] are not starved of a game. - which ends up with some going back to community leagues.

30 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Agree

I have said many times before - all teams should have 'A' teams - which would give all leagues a step to help bring in  Amateur/young  players and give them time if needed to adapt to the changes.

Plus will give teams the ability to get rid of the unfair Dual Reg system.

Month or season long loans ok but DR can be abused.

This also means fringe players [as we have] are not starved of a game. - which ends up with some going back to community leagues.

Totally agree with having A teams, but sadly it will never happen in the championship, the finical cost is the main stumbling block, and in the past both semi pro clubs have struggled to attract enough players from the amateur clubs to field teams. In the past both Haven and Town have tried different programmes involving the college and the rfl, and all have failed, partly because of the people involved running the academy's and the lack of communication with the amateur clubs.

Hull invited both Town and Haven to combine in a new  academy set up in west Cumbria, but only Whitehaven took up  the offer and have already had a couple of games, but i still have my doubts about the set up, mainly because what i have witnessed in the past, big clubs coming in to the area and setting these programmes up then after a season or so finish it, lets wait and see. 

The only club who have came in to the area and recruited players for their academy in the correct manor in my view is Newcastle, sadly they do have to make the two hour trip over to the north east, but when recruiting they took the time out to speak to each individual club along with the players and parents, everything done correctly, and the good work they have achieved with youngsters from the area is in plain view for everyone to see at Town. 

7 hours ago, dkw said:

Best ref weve seen by far up here was Thaler, completely controlled the game in every way, signals were excellent and took no slaver from any player. The difference between him and most of the refs we get now is night and day.

100%

Archived