Challenge Cup Quarter-Final Draw

Warrington/Wakefield v Wigan
Hull KR v Leeds/Castleford
Barrow/Huddersfield v Hull FC
Catalans v St Helens

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Futtocks changed the title to Challenge Cup Quarter-Final Draw

2 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

Feel for Wakefield. They'd have fancied their chances to get another win over Wire but it's now nailed on that it will be Wire v Wigan for the zillionth time.

Zillionth plus 😉

28 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Looks like just another set of Super League loop fixtures that will attract small crowds.

We need to talk about the Cup.

Call me old fashioned. But we need to get back to the SL coming in in the last 32.

30 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Looks like just another set of Super League loop fixtures that will attract small crowds.

We need to talk about the Cup.

The time for talking is over.

The RFL should be taken to the monopolies commission for what they have done to the cup (or maybe the international criminal court)

5 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Call me old fashioned. But we need to get back to the SL coming in in the last 32.

Or at the very least SL clubs 5-12 in the last 32 and top 4 come in at the last 16. If we don't do something we will never see a League 1 club draw a SL club again.

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Or at the very least SL clubs 5-12 in the last 32 and top 4 come in at the last 16. If we don't do something we will never see a League 1 club draw a SL club again.

Yes. It isn't just that though.

We used to see 2 or 3 heavyweight ties in the 32 every year. Meaning they were knocked out early doors. You could get to the quarters without playing a top division side.

And. Much more fun for a SL supporter to have a surprise trip to Worky or Keighley than yet another to Wakey.

One of the best cup days out was my one and only visit to Bramley. We scraped a draw having been thoroughly outplayed. Made Wembley that year.

On crowds, most clubs now have far more season ticket holders than they would have had if you went back say 20 years. Which is a sensible option, but it has lead to those core fans distinguishing between cup and league games in a different way. In the past, if you were expecting to pick and choose games then you would go to an attractive Cup ahead of an unappetising league game - often deciding on the day whether to go or not. The only “solution” I can suggest is that they include home club games in slightly more expensive season tickets. We have 4, but only 3 could make it last night, so we bought 3 tickets. If the game had been on the ST, we would probably have found someone to take the 4th ticket.

1 hour ago, dixiedean said:

We used to see 2 or 3 heavyweight ties in the 32 every year. Meaning they were knocked out early doors. You could get to the quarters without playing a top division side.

And. Much more fun for a SL supporter to have a surprise trip to Worky or Keighley than yet another to Wakey.

One of the best cup days out was my one and only visit to Bramley. We scraped a draw having been thoroughly outplayed. Made Wembley that year.

Wigan fan ? 1984 ?

2 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Which team did you see at Bramley?

I used to go there in the late seventies. There was a great atmosphere for cup games. Also the lower division sides had a chance of winning which seems to have gone now.

2 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Totally agree. Sometimes governing bodies do things to cause long term credibility issues for a competition  - in football I’d say having the semi-finals at Wembley did this and ours is having SL clubs come in at last 16.

It was always the hope that if you were say London Skolars you might get through to last 32 and then draw Wigan that was the magic. An aim and then a potential reward however remote. With that pretty much taken away there’s little romance left in the cup.

I don’t think you can get too upset about some of the bigger clubs drawing each other in the cup at the quarter final stage. It’s going to happen. The issue is ultimately about loop fixtures more than cup draws, you can’t manufacture a cup draw (unless you believe in all that conspiracy theory nonsense) in the same way you can have a few different options of creating loop fixtures. 

As for when should Super League clubs come in, ideally earlier. Even as a Super League club fan, it does seem unfair almost that you win one game and you’re into the quarter finals. 

Never a fan of having the draw for the next round before the current round has concluded leaving either/or brackets in the draw.

The live game on BBC today is the last game of the round so it would have made perfect sense to have the draw after full time at Barrow followed by a bit of studio analysis based on the actual definite QF matchups.

15 hours ago, Niels said:

Which team did you see at Bramley?

I used to go there in the late seventies. There was a great atmosphere for cup games. Also the lower division sides had a chance of winning which seems to have gone now.

Seems to have gone ? It's GONE!

8 hours ago, Scubby said:

Semi final double header at Elland Road will probably see at least 2 Yorkshire clubs which will help the ticket sales

You could feasibly have Hull v Hull KR and Saints v Wigan as the semi finals (I'm sure there will be an upset somewhere, but on paper those are the 4 teams most likely to advance imo). That would be a bumper double header and will have a good chance of filling Elland Road, or at least getting close to it. Even if those are the 4 semi finalists but the ties are different it would make for a really good occasion with 4 well supported clubs.

Archived