France vs Wales 19th June Albi

1 hour ago, stevecl said:

I understand why we allow it but watching Wales is always tempered by the fact we are essentially an England development side and any real talent will change to the Tier 1 side. 

The more Welsh born players, like Reagan Grace, the better

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevecl said:

I understand why we allow it but watching Wales is always tempered by the fact we are essentially an England development side and any real talent will change to the Tier 1 side. 

I think you're exaggerating quite a bit there. Other than Morgan Knowles, who in recent years has jumped teams? And he was born in England anyway. Regan Grace has notably turned down the chance. 

If the Welsh game was producing a stream of players that England had their eye on, the game would be in a lot better shape than it is. 

But all credit to WRL and FFRL for getting the game on, onwards amd upwards, an annual England, Wales, France tri-nations has to be the aim. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevecl said:

Like who? I cant think of anyone that has done that bar players that were English anyway.

4 hours ago, stevecl said:

It is pretty crazy that Wales have not played a full mens international since 2018 (and as things stand, no home game in 2022 either).

3 hours ago, gogledd said:

I went to watch France v Wales the last time we played in Albi and won the European Cup. What a beautiful city.

And, of course, an historical city of importance to religious history as well, gogledd.  The French form of Catharism is sometimes referred to as Albigensianism, because Albi was so closely related to it, geographically and in other senses.

In more recent times, French rugby league has, of course, been referred to sometimes as Cathar rugby, because, like Catahrism vis-a-vis Catholicism, it kicked against the prevailing establishment norm.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, stevecl said:

Indeed. Wales need to give as many Welsh born players a chance as they can

There is no future for the Welsh national side if they can relying on English players

23 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Would be good if Scotland played Ireland on the same weekend

Good point, JM.  Given that a Scotland -v- Ireland game in either of those countries would not attract a great crowd, maybe it could be the curtain-raiser in Albi, unless FFR13 have other plans for that.  Scottish and Irish RL fans might appreciate the chance for a trip to France!

3 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

And, of course, an historical city of importance to religious history as well, gogledd.  The French form of Catharism is sometimes referred to as Albigensianism, because Albi was so closely related to it, geographically and in other senses.

In more recent times, French rugby league has, of course, been referred to sometimes as Cathar rugby, because, like Catahrism vis-a-vis Catholicism, it kicked against the prevailing establishment norm.

When I lived in Sydney and was younger I used to buy the Guardian Weekly newspaper, made of rice-paper like material and the size of a tabloid. It had a collection of the best stories every week from The Guardian, Le Monde and Washington Post ( not sure about that one) but the articles were brilliant, not only the story but often a bit of historical background to each story - didn`t write for them did you ?😉 Thank you, great post.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Damien said:

Like who? I cant think of anyone that has done that bar players that were English anyway.

Ok you put me on the spot and I guess I was referring to the more general rule allowing transfer to a tier 1 nation. But a few still come to mind such as Garreth Carvell, Tyson Frizell

I thought I read somewhere that England were courting Regan Grace too but can’t find a link to verify. 

Busted……..

• Like 1

On 07/04/2022 at 13:42, Eddie said:

Sounds like a sensible choice of venue, more so than Nantes which I heard mentioned recently. 

Just looked on Skyscanner.

Ryannair doing return flights for that weekend  from Stanstead for £25 return to Toulouse - train to Albi from there ( an hour ) about a tenner return........tempting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, del capo said:

Ryannair doing return flights for that weekend  from Stanstead for £25 return to Toulouse - train to Albi from there ( an hour ) about a tenner return........tempting

Is that before or after Ryanair charge you a £50 transaction fee and £25 for going to the bog? 

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Is that before or after Ryanair charge you a £50 transaction fee and £25 for going to the bog? 

I think they're about to charge for standing in a queue.

But if I decide to go I remember never  before actually needing  a travel bag as I was  always waking up in the clothes I travelled in...

Needing the bog  however a totally different matter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevecl said:

Ok you put me on the spot and I guess I was referring to the more general rule allowing transfer to a tier 1 nation. But a few still come to mind such as Garreth Carvell, Tyson Frizell

I thought I read somewhere that England were courting Regan Grace too but can’t find a link to verify. 

Busted……..

Morgan Knowles?

17 hours ago, The Rocket said:

When I lived in Sydney and was younger I used to buy the Guardian Weekly newspaper, made of rice-paper like material and the size of a tabloid. It had a collection of the best stories every week from The Guardian, Le Monde and Washington Post ( not sure about that one) but the articles were brilliant, not only the story but often a bit of historical background to each story - didn`t write for them did you ?😉 Thank you, great post.

Thanks for a typically generous post, Rocket.  No, I was never in journalism!

My knowledge of Catharism was greatly enhanced by a short and simple, but comprehensive, leaflet called Catharism, published in English by Le Conseil General de L'Aude (www.audetourisme.com) 

For getting a feel of what Catharism meant in daily, rural life, I recommend Montaillou by Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie, published in English by Penguin, who describe it as "The world famous portrait of life in a medieval village".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, del capo said:

Albi is a really lovely small city to visit - UNESCO world heritage sites, the Toulouse-Lautrec museum etc. Different world to British RL towns. You'll know there's a game on though, the mairie will make sure of that, and I've always found the locals happy to talk RL. Last time I went, it turned out the hotel manager was sponsoring the women's RL team.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Albi is a really lovely small city to visit - UNESCO world heritage sites, the Toulouse-Lautrec museum etc. Different world to British RL towns. You'll know there's a game on though, the mairie will make sure of that, and I've always found the locals happy to talk RL. Last time I went, it turned out the hotel manager was sponsoring the women's RL team.

Its a real toss up for me Warrington or Albi thinking of sending the wife with the youngest to England v CNAS and then myself and our 16 year old to Albi.

I havant been since the Lord Derby Cup Final in 2009:)

Paul