Pacific Tests - June 25th

According to the commentators, there are at least 50 members of the Schuster family in the crowd to see Josh make his debut for Samoa.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Abicus said:

I think there is very little discussion about what rules we will playing under at the World Cup.

I did not know that captains challenge was a thing. Were there any Six Agains today? 

Yes, there were several 6 agains.

21 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

For a 20-point win I thought New Zealand were actually quite poor in attack given their mountains of territory, but you suspect they will click with time. Immense forwards display.

I think it shows that for both teams they need to play more games. 

NZ look very good at times but they don't always have games to sort combinations etc. 

Same FOR Tonga, just because Tier One nations have worked out they can sell tickets we can't just screw them and have them only playing Oz, NZ and Eng - they need to play and get wins behind them, create good combinations and a feel good from decent wins. 

Basically, today was great, give us more!!!! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

NZ far to good for a Tonga team who looked like they have just met for the first time on the car park, I can't see them being anywhere near as effective as they were in '17, and what a spine NZ have with Manu, Hughes, Smith and Tapine, NZ are going to be a threat in the WC.

Really regarding Tonga? Tonga’s squad is far stronger now than in 2017. Plus others to join from State of Origin that don’t make the Aussie squad (David Fafita, Daniel Tupou, Siosifa Talakai) and Super League (Tui Lolehea, David Fusitua, Konrad Hurrell, Will Hopoate).

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Basically, today was great, give us more!!!! 

Sky Sports Action for Samoa v Cook Islands, it is then

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Dave T said:

Sonic 2 at the Odeon for me. Absolutely shocking planning... 🤣

It's got wifi and you have a phone ...

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Gelling! Who’s he playing for now?

Apparently he isn't with a club at the moment.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Samoa have lost out from Tonga's recent success*, as they have lost their regular opponents to the fixture v the Kiwis. Now Samoa are playing a side that's testing them far less.

*plus this not being a proper international break, so the Kangaroos aren't available.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

NZ just too good earlier. I thought Tonga were outmuscled and also didn't have anything like the cutting-edge that NZ's big names offered. Great colour at Mt. Smart, but just a tad disappointing in terms of a contest. Tonga's youngsters will be better for the experience, and they'll be strengthened come the end of the year.

Manu went to the next level out there. Pretty much everything he touched came off. What a player! NZ have definitely found their man for FB.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Really regarding Tonga? Tonga’s squad is far stronger now than in 2017. Plus others to join from State of Origin that don’t make the Aussie squad (David Fafita, Daniel Tupou, Siosifa Talakai) and Super League (Tui Lolehea, David Fusitua, Konrad Hurrell, Will Hopoate).

Tonga are lacking a spine with the skill & subtly needed at this level,if teams can match their physicality they seem to struggle as shown today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StandOffHalf said:

NZ just too good earlier. I thought Tonga were outmuscled and also didn't have anything like the cutting-edge that NZ's big names offered. Great colour at Mt. Smart, but just a tad disappointing in terms of a contest. Tonga's youngsters will be better for the experience, and they'll be strengthened come the end of the year.

Manu went to the next level out there. Pretty much everything he touched came off. What a player! NZ have definitely found their man for FB.

Agreed. Tonga are miles off. Tier 2 indeed. 

3 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Manu,Hughes & Brown look an outstanding combination.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Agreed. Tonga are miles off. Tier 2 indeed. 

Don't get me wrong. This was a team with a few young guys and halves who both didn't have the desired sort of kicking performance. I think NZ just kind of stifled them today, and were able to ice things with poise and guile in key ball-playing positions

I expect Tonga to be better later on in the year.

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Playing to NRL rules tonight. Naturally. 

I believe the captains challenge will be in the World Cup, sure it was confirmed last year.

• Thanks 1

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

47 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That's just rubbish refereeing. You can't penalise a team for tackling too well. 

Yeah, really bad call. They got him going backwards at a rate of knots. Knees didn't hit the ground, he wasn't lifted off the ground, and momentum continued all the way into the in-goal.

Certainly should have been a goal-line drop-out.

• Like 1